What's new

Practical Quan Chi Combos

Robotic

Gentleman.
Hey All,

Back again to talk about practicality. I've seen quite a few combos here and there with the man Quan. I thought I might get a dialogue going about frequent situations where a combo might occur, and the most practical combos to perform in those situations. This is just me, but if you do any other practical combos for these same situations, post them please.

When f12 lands: I follow with trance, close rune, medium rune, b21, b21, 112 medium rune.

When b3 1+2 lands: I follow with b21, b11, trance, close rune, skydrop back, b3 1+2, Uppercut.

When b21 lands: I follow with b21, b11, trance, close rune, trance, 112 medium rune.

When naked trance lands: I follow with trance (or jip) b21, b21, f12b1+2.

With the exception of the 3rd combo listed, these situations happen all the time. Of course, this leaves out the "continuing pressure" combo enders, but I will leave it to y'all to dissect and point out what useful tool Quan Chi posseses in real game situations.

Almost forgot, STFU if you're even thinking about boost :D

Robotic

Gentleman.
does your meter building ever take too long to land a hit after? or is all of this safe meter build into a combo?
Safe meter build. When combined with 3/4 skulls into far rune I do, meter building is absolutely nasty with Quan. I'm really enjoying the new priority with Quan Chi: Build, Build, Build, Destroy, Repeat.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
Safe meter build. When combined with 3/4 skulls into far rune I do, meter building is absolutely nasty with Quan. I'm really enjoying the new priority with Quan Chi: Build, Build, Build, Destroy, Repeat.
i prefer my method of build build reset destroy build reset destroy destroy lol

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
post your practical in-game stuff, then....that's what this thread is for: to post good stuff and share with other Quan Chi Woolayers.
i use more than one combo for my strategy. as u should know its all about resets and rune trap.
my method is first, land a trance with a string of either f1,2 ,1,1,2 or b3,1+2 1,1,2
wen they are caught in a trance after a string of 1,1,2 i usually trance for meter build, mid rune, 1,1teleport 2,1exrune b3, 1+2 1,1,2 trance meter build using same method, 1,1 teleport 2,1 ex rune u3 trance. but the best thing is wen u mix it all up and keep em guessing. if they dnt know where to block then your good, but i suggest waiting for them to block low sometimes, and wen they release low block in an attempt to escape do b3,1+2 and you know the rest from there

Robotic

Gentleman.
I should also post this one since the opportunity presents itself often, but it's the same as naked trance.

U3: I usually do nothing (hehe), but I want them to respect my overhead. The follow up is risky, but if you feel confident: trance, close rune, trance, b21, b21, f12b1+2.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
I should also post this one since the opportunity presents itself often, but it's the same as naked trance.

U3: I usually do nothing (hehe), but I want them to respect my overhead. The follow up is risky, but if you feel confident: trance, close rune, trance, b21, b21, f12b1+2.
yeah but idk if they wont be dropped after the second b2,1 becuz they were popped up too much. they had it to where just one b2,1 does as much as two b2,1s does now, but it got nerfed and sadly so did alot of combo damage for quan

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
Good online Combo

B3 1+2 11 b11 Trance ( trance, rune) 11Skydrop
i dont highly advise the use of b1,1 becuz of its unreliability. if you feel like practicing the rediculous timing on b1,1 to trance than be my guest but 1,1,2 and 2,1,2 are much safer and easier to time with trance. and btw 2,1,2 wrks for rune trap if you can time the rune well enough. its safe i have tested it but it isnt easy. it will build more meter while hitting and you might get three rune traps in a row if you do it right. and if you do have the third bar than you will be close to having another one afterwards.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Instead of advising against one way or another, maybe it's best to state "takes practice" or "substitute this for easier combo". I think the player can decide for himself what to try and what to practice on, as well as what not to bother with - to each his own :D

Myself, I want to know the absolute most I can squeeze out of my opponent, practice it as much as I can and decide for myself if I can apply it. We all know there are varying difficulties with combo inputs for certain characters - the b11 trance stuff is not very difficult for me anymore, but Sektor's 12b1, Instant Air Teleuppercut, b21, b21 combo is too difficult for me use in a real game.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
the point is to try everything, but i dnt use b1,1 becuz of its difficulty and lack of meter build even if it does more damage hit to percent ratio.1,1,2 and 2,1,2 are superior and more dependable. and its lik u skipped the prt where i stated about the improved rune trap. it wrks but its difficult so i suggest practice and use of it

Robotic

Gentleman.
the point is to try everything, but i dnt use b1,1 becuz of its difficulty and lack of meter build even if it does more damage hit to percent ratio.1,1,2 and 2,1,2 are superior and more dependable. and its lik u skipped the prt where i stated about the improved rune trap. it wrks but its difficult so i suggest practice and use of it
For sure, the 212 EX rune can take some getting used to...if timed slightly off, you will get the skull instead.

Any other input on the regular situations Quan Chi is in time and time again and what combos to do for them? We're talking to get the best out of your character when you begin with this or with that for anyone looking make use of him in a very real way, not just flashy combo video stuff you will never do.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
well, the best use of him ive seen is wen shujinkydink will do b3,1+2 2,1,2 trance trance mid rune 1,1 teleport 2,1,2 ex rune trap once, b3,1+2 repeat combo to 2,1,2 post rune trap to knock down a jumper,trance while in air, and mix up his trance/rune trap setups. quan isnt about practical he is about keeping the opponent guessing on where you will take you mixup to next so he/she cannot escape. but one circumstance you may find urself in is a JIP knocking the opponent out of the air and having nothing to follow up. after you knock them out of the air you can dashcancel a f1 trance or a f1,2 trance with different timing depending on if u wnt the extra hit. thts wat you should practice

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
For me, it's all about the Quan-Cheese and the resets.

*Combos/Combo Starters*
1. jip (not needed), b21, b21, b11~trance, *any follow-up*
2. f12~trance, *follow up*
3. b3 1+2, b21, b11~trance, *follow-up*
4. U3~trance (risky), *follow-up*

*Follow-Ups*
1. [close rune, trance], slight pause - reset the combo, *combo starter 3 or 4* (use [trance, med. rune] if done off of starter 2 or 4)
2. jip reset (very slight pause after hit), *combo starter 3 or 4*
3. 11~skydrop, 212~rune trap (up to 3x), *combo starter 3 or 4*
4. throws are always a good mix-up to...*ahem*...throw in...:D

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
For me, it's all about the Quan-Cheese and the resets.

*Combos/Combo Starters*
1. jip (not needed), b21, b21, b11~trance, *any follow-up*
2. f12~trance, *follow up*
3. b3 1+2, b21, b11~trance, *follow-up*
4. U3~trance (risky), *follow-up*

*Follow-Ups*
1. [close rune, trance], slight pause to reset the combo, *combo starter 3 or 4* (use [trance, med. rune] if done off of starter 2 or 4)
2. jip reset (very slight pause after hit), *combo starter 3 or 4*
3. 11~skydrop, 212~rune trap (up to 3x), *combo starter 3 or 4*
4. throws are always a good mix-up to...*ahem*...throw in...:D
i challenge you for title of best quan in durty jerz. even if ur not the current holder i want to claim to be the besst xbl quan in jerz

Robotic

Gentleman.
but one circumstance you may find urself in is a JIP knocking the opponent out of the air and having nothing to follow up. after you knock them out of the air you can dashcancel a f1 trance or a f1,2 trance with different timing depending on if u wnt the extra hit. thts wat you should practice
That's what I'm talkin about! :D

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
i challenge you for title of best quan in durty jerz. even if ur not the current holder i want to claim to be the besst xbl quan in jerz
You, good sir, have got yourself a challenge!

Disclaimer: I'm a college student with terribad connection at my dorm so who knows how the connection will turn out lol. Shoot me a friend request and we'll get some kool-aid and woolay down.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
112 is unreliable in crunch situations where reacting fast is a game winner. I have dropped it many times, including that retarded moment that could have gotten me into top 8 at devastation. 11,b11 is safer alternative. worst comes to worst, the b1 just turns into a 1, which still connects.

Honestly, the only one of Quan Chi's better damaging combos I find hard at all is the three b+2,1's in the corner, even online, and perhaps the b+2,1, b+2,1, b+1,1 xx mid Ground Burst enders, but I'm finding 2,1,2 xx far Ground Burst to be an easier replacement for that last one, now. Oh, and I'm not a big fan of the b+3,1+2 enders... they do about 1% more damage than b+1,1 xx mid Ground Burst, but build a bit over 5% less of a bar of meter, knock the opponent out of the corner, and I believe leave you at less advantage.

u+3 is pretty negative on block... I think it's better to follow it up with close Ground Burst if you don't want to risk the Trance. Only a few characters get a decent punish off that and you'd at least build more meter and do a bit more damage that way. Or you could try Skull Ball instead, which is safe, but can be crouched under... that one gets fuzzy guarded and ducked relatively often though from my experiences.

yeah but idk if they wont be dropped after the second b2,1 becuz they were popped up too much. they had it to where just one b2,1 does as much as two b2,1s does now, but it got nerfed and sadly so did alot of combo damage for quan
I don't recall Quan Chi's damage ever being nerfed... and that combo works, by the way. Two b+2,1's always works midscreen if the opponent was juggled by 0-1 hits.

circumstance you may find urself in is a JIP knocking the opponent out of the air and having nothing to follow up. after you knock them out of the air you can dashcancel a f1 trance or a f1,2 trance with different timing depending on if u wnt the extra hit. thts wat you should practice
I honestly find f+1 xx Trance a bit better, mainly because you get a bit more damage and distance if you decide not to 1,1 xx Sky Drop and you don't have a whole lot of time to consider which ender you prefer when reacting to a connected air-to-air punch. 1,1 xx Sky Drop doesn't even seem to do more damage when you do f+1,2 instead of f+1... actually, I haven't found any combos that do more with the extra 2, but maybe I need to look a bit harder. Also, f+1,2 can whiff on the second hit, although it's uncommon, and if you whiff the f+1, you'll have more recovery time since you're still whiffing the 2 as well.

EDIT: Ok, yeah, the f+1,2 does slightly more damage than f+1 if the opponent is grounded... not sure about if it's in a juggle, but it might actually be doing less since the increase in damage on grounded combos isn't even 1%.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So far all I do is:

B21, dash B11 trance 2,1,2 rune

in the corner: B21, B21 3 trance 1,1 skydrop

Thanks for the thread robotic

Robotic

Gentleman.
So far all I do is:

B21, dash B11 trance 2,1,2 rune

in the corner: B21, B21 3 trance 1,1 skydrop

Thanks for the thread robotic
If you can b21 dash b11, you should have zero issue with b21 b21 b11. Maybe you didn't know, but that's what this thread is for! :D It's still practical too.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Honestly, the only one of Quan Chi's better damaging combos I find hard at all is the three b+2,1's in the corner, even online, and perhaps the b+2,1, b+2,1, b+1,1 xx mid Ground Burst enders, but I'm finding 2,1,2 xx far Ground Burst to be an easier replacement for that last one, now.
Never ever ever ever ever EVER use xx ground burst at the end of a combo. this is free damage for a rune trap later on. In a combo you might get 6% out of it, when you can get 15% including chip on a rune trap. Not very practical.

only practical combo you should be doing is b2,1 b2,1 b1,1 trance (or xxtrance if they are approaching breaker status), 11skydrop. dont forget your meter building in between, and the reset will allow you to continue with pressure, or a rune trap if one is available whcih can bring you anywhere between 70-96% damage.

:D my 2 cents