What's new

Post the top 5 underrated characters in your opinion.

5. Liu Kang, deadiest rushdown, great pressure, good zoning, and I suppose easy to high damage combos
4. Nightwolf, Can deal with zoners very well, got amazing pressure also, his wakeups are good, and lightning traps works well
3. Quan Chi, Tricky mixups, Rune trap, controllable teleport, and has maybe good resets
2. Sonya Blade, Awesome rushdown, quick to play, unique, and great pressure
1. Jax, good mixups, good wakeups, great corner pressure with his ex GP after overhead smash, and maybe his gps are good for setting up combos, I just dislike how slowly they come out.

HM: Baraka, Sheeva, Sindel, Skarlet, and Stryker

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
I don't think there's 5 characters that are greatly underrated, but I'll give you 5 anyway. I don't feel anyone on this list is so underrated that it would surprise anyone if they succeeded at a high level. Besides my #1, which I can't understand why she's on the list to begin with.

1. Sonya. Sonya. Sonya. - I've been screaming this since release. She has EVERYTHING. I don't see how she's so underplayed

2. Jax - This is completely based on CD Jr. He wins with Jax at high level. Period.
3. Baraka - I haven't seen much of him, but I honestly don't think he's that bad.
4. Smoke - Alot of players jumped off after the OTG Smoke Bomb removal, but Smoke is still good. I don't get it.
5. Ermac - I understand his wakeup sucks, but what else?

I would place Skarlet in here but it's rumored that her slide cancels into Up/Down slashes are being removed, Plus, her daggers not having that pushback or being able to cancel into each other are being removed to so...

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
For Sonya and Jax check out me and EGP Tyrant, the Jax from top 16 at Evo:

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dPUQ8WdCxg[/video]

Of course for Sonya also check out MortySeinfeld and for Jax CD jr.

These characters are on the map though.

saix88

Banned
1 - Jade - i feel her exglow hasn't been explored fully to its potential and i can see new tech being found for her if people took the time to learn her. Her boomarang resets are a good tactic and if she had the right following she could be fullly explored.

2 - Sonya - She has 40 and 50% meterless midscreens AND can end the combo with the opponent standing into her stance which they HAVE to block or they'll eat about 10-15% more damage depending on whether she'll do the overhead or low. a good projectile and pretty quick attacks. She lacks in low/overhead combo starters but her mixups make up for it. I dont know what it is but people seem to forget about her when it comes to the female chars.

3 - Jax - Really great rush down and prolly has the best low attack in the game next to liu kang. Has devastating corner combos with meter. There recently has been some real good jax players popping up but not nearly enough to get some solid tourney information out of.

4 - Baraka - Has great wake up options and plays a good 'get teh fuck off meh' game but has a hard time getting in. Once barakas in medium to close range you'll have a tough time getting him off of you. I think he's got a bad rep from the get go of the game but is eventually going ot be played more.

5 - Sektor - Has crazy damage output and great EX moves (extu homing missle) and control the air. Has alot of safe jump oppurtunities and very quick attacks but has a hard time shaking pressure off. I main sektor so i know his full potential. He can be so dominating during matches that you have to be turtling against him in fear of a 40% air to air combo and watch out for upmissles.
I agree 100% with this. Great analyzes

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
1) Sonya
2) Sektor
3) Quan Chi
4) Sindel
5) Stryker

All of these chars can do well in tourney play if used right

D. R.

Noob
Who are the five most underrated MK9 characters of all time? Think about it.

*Lifts up hand to count them off*

1. Noob

Noob... Noob, Noob, and Noob! Because he is so God tier! :evil:

Past

Noob
1. Mileena: D4 is just stupid sometimes. Along with with an air projectile with low recovery, a full screen punish with teleport (can be made safe with meter) and decent mixups, she should be in contention for top 10
2. Scarlet: Dagger cancels are very good and her mixup game is difficult to react to when she has meter. EX dash is also one the best EX moves in the game
3. Kabal: Not used as much as reptile but is just as good. Excellent zoning and great rushdown with his dash. Dash can also catch jump ins and used to evade crossup jump punches. Buzzsaw is very fast. 50/50 when combined with command grab. Little to no weaknesses. Should be in contention for best character overall.
4. Raiden: Teleport...really? Even if he isn't dominating tourney play, he still very good
5. Kung Lao: He still has spin, so he will be decent even after they nerf low hat.

1) Sonya
2) Sektor
3) Quan Chi
4) Sindel
5) Stryker

All of these chars can do well in tourney play if used right
You're very late on the party for the first 2.

But as long as Sindel and Stryker don't place top 8 at a tourney, you're wrong and you're talking out of your ass.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
You're very late on the party for the first 2.

But as long as Sindel and Stryker don't place top 8 at a tourney, you're wrong and you're talking out of your ass.
No, I'm not wrong at all. It can be done. Stryker has some decent matchups and it's entirely up to the player. Just because a top player hasn't picked up Sindel or Stryker doesn't mean they aren't decent chars.

Also, several people posted Sonya/Sektor as being underrated, not just me. You trolling me or what?:(

D. R.

Noob
There's a very simple response to people who say "oh so and so can win a major if played right, yadda, yadda." And that response is, you win one with them then.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
There's a very simple response to people who say "oh so and so can win a major if played right, yadda, yadda." And that response is, you win one with them then.
I feel like this is in response to me, so I'll respond: I believe ANY char in this game can win a major if played right. Some are harder than others. However, it's my opinion, and it's silly for me to even attempt to do such a thing when I don't main anybody but 1 char. I do beleive it's possible for a top player (or another unknown player) to win w/that char, yes.

It's just amazing how so many people shut low tier chars down so quick when now Sheeva is placing top 8, Jax placed top 16 at Evo and just won a major. What else needs to happen for people to finally start believing in their chars?

how bout the 5 most over rated characters

Noob Saibot - Ever since tom played around with noob at a few tournaments everybody thinks 'NOOB can be deadly when played right!' attitude, well of course ..thats what we're talking about here when we talk about how good chars are..we're not talking about oh tim58 on xbox has a decent noob, but he sucks with them so ima say he sucks and judge noob off of tim58s online play with him. Back onto topic. Noob lacks in any real damage output and can be easily outzoned. His only chance for good damage is his blackhole mix ups/resets. and trapping someone in the corner (if you get trapped by noob in the corner you deserve to eat a meaty 50% combo) These can be avoided and seen from a mile away, even if you use them as a mix up to confuse your opponent they lack anything truly substantial to his gameplay. All in all, noob cant shake pressure off him, gets outzoned and some people STILL think hes next to top tier. I dont think so :/

Cyrax - Of course the yellow robot. 80%+ reset? wait thats not a reset..thats unescapable.. thats a regular combo? retarded. The only reason cyrax is getting solid play at tourney is because of his resets. Sure there are a few tourney players who are real innovative and fresh with mustard (maxter, trophy club, to name a few) butfor the most part there are ALOT of reset abusing shitty cyrax's at alot oof tourneys. Once he gets patched and the bandwagoners dont take their time to fully learn cyrax im sure his popularity will go down but his place in the tier list will stay. Having that random factor comes in handy against such dominating foes such as kung lao and johnny cage. Over-rated the broken robot stands as of now but will be pretty solid and SHOULD be balanaced after the patch.

Ermac - Has some unsafe normals, shitty wake ups and can be punished for ALL of his specials, ex versions too. Ermac can zone but can be baited and punished very easily. No low/overhead starters, just godlike AA's but once you get in his face there isn't much he can do except try to shake you off of him where he is forced to get back in his zone to be effective. One upside to ermac is his high damage output but your opponent has to have messed up for that to happen. People were suprised when Ermac was put on the Btier for the tier list, i wasn't really shocked myself.

Smoke - Smoke may be looked to be underrated in many peoples eyes but he has that ermac factor. VERY popular when the game first came out but people dropped him as soon as they found out who the REAL good characters are. People are still shocked by smokes decreasing popularity. Of course you dont zone smoke, you get up in that mutherfuckers face and let him not breathe. Alot of rookies have a hard time with smoke but when rushed down effectively he will fold under pressure.

Sub Zero - Maybe not over rated but defenitely overplayed thanks to Mr.Tom Brady himself. Without tom brady the sub zero forum would be begging for answers, lost. Tom made the character what he is today. Most people would still have that 'meh sub zeros not the worthy for tourneys' attitude if it wasn't for tom continuously playing the character at tournaments. People try to immitate toms playstyle and dont try to adapt their own playstyle. What they don't know is that tom is real techinical and can read well and has superb meter management. They just see him behind an ice clone and the flowchart begins. Tom put this character in the face of mortal kombat players, now with tom leaving sub zero, sub zeros popularity will continue to decline.