What's new

Port damaged on PDP MK TE Fightstick

Mr. Yutani

Don't know karate but I know karazy.
This morning I realized why the USB port on my PDP MK TE fightstick was very shaky/not secure: it's actually damaged:

The metal pins look ok there, however it looks as if the plastic tab inside of the USB recepticle broke off and is now stuck inside of my USB cable:

The fightstick still works, although sometimes any sort of shaking or movement will cause the usb cable to move, thus disconnecting the fightstick. Heres a look at the PCB inside of the stick:

It appears as if theres a cable (it has red, white, green & black cables inside of it) that goes from the USB port to the fightsitck itself. Does anyone know if this is something I could replace on my own?

bone

Noob
The same thing happened to both of my PS3 and Xbox 360 MK tournament stick. I ended up hardwiring the Xbox stick and threw away the PS3 stick before I knew I could hardwire it :-(

Mr. Yutani

The same thing happened to both of my PS3 and Xbox 360 MK tournament stick. I ended up hardwiring the Xbox stick and threw away the PS3 stick before I knew I could hardwire it :-(
Hmm...how hard was it to hardwire a new USB cable to the PCB? I was thinking about just replacing the USB recepticle but that may be a much better option.

Looking at the USB recepticle for the Injustice fightstick it would appear as if PDP was aware of the design flaw and fixed it, since the cable has to actually go farther into the connection port, thus reducing the chance of this happening.

Mr. Yutani

@Mr. Yutani You could yes, if you know what to do. I don't really know what it is tho or how.
I've soldered before so I would imagine just replacing a USB recepticle couldnt be too bad, but I havent gotten around to actually opening the stick up since its held together by like 20+ screws, which is a real pain to remove :eek:

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Honestly probably going to be more trouble then it's worth, I actually took the PCB out of one of these sticks, and it is NOT easy, you basically have to destroy the damn thing.

So to replace the USB port, I just don't think it would be worth it, probably easier to just find one on EBay or somewhere for cheep.

Mr. Yutani

Honestly probably going to be more trouble then it's worth, I actually took the PCB out of one of these sticks, and it is NOT easy, you basically have to destroy the damn thing.

So to replace the USB port, I just don't think it would be worth it, probably easier to just find one on EBay or somewhere for cheep.
I could find another one on ebay, but the problem is it will have the same design flaw, which means at some point i'll probably damage the port again. I really do like the stick for nostalgia purposes so ideally i'd like to have it fully functional. At least for me hardwiring might be the better route to go, with the USB end having a break away connector.

I hardwired mine when it did the same thing, i spliced the 4 wires coming off that harness on the pcb to wires of matching color on a usb cord cut off an old rock band drumset. apply electrical tape and bada bing bada boom

Mr. Yutani

I hardwired mine when it did the same thing, i spliced the 4 wires coming off that harness on the pcb to wires of matching color on a usb cord cut off an old rock band drumset. apply electrical tape and bada bing bada boom
Hmmm...i might have to do the same thing eventually. Good to know that I can splice the wires worst case scenario.