What's new

PlayStation 4 to cost $1,850 in Brazil

Sony has responded to the news that the PlayStation 4 will cost the equivalent of $1,850 dollars in Brazil, saying that the high price is "not good for the PlayStation brand."

Addressing the complaints that have arisen following last week's announcement that the PlayStation 4 would sell for R$3,999 in Brazil, Sony's Latin America general manager Mark Stanley said "we have read thousands of your comments and heard your frustration loud and clear."

"We want to emphasize that it isn't in the interest of Sony Computer Entertainment America to sell PS4 units at this high retail price, as it’s not good for our gamers and it’s not good for the PlayStation brand," he added.

Stanley explained that 63 percent of the R$3,999 will go to import taxes.

"There is a lot of confusion and inaccurate information spreading online about Brazil’s import tax policies online and the PlayStation 4 retail price, so we’d like to set the record straight: of the R$3,999 gamers pay, 63 percent of the retail price goes to offset the various taxes that are applied in the process of importation. Some do not consider the IPI on the distributor price and PIS/COFINS on retailers price and much less, include the ICMS and ICMS-ST taxes. You can see a true breakdown of the price model at Valor Economico. The other 15.5 percent goes to retailer margin and 21.5 percent to PS4 Transfer Price (equivalent to USD$390)."

"We will continue to talk with the relevant government agencies to help us reduce the heavy tax burden that gamers, retailers and Sony Computer Entertainment America are paying."
Looking to the future, Stanley said Sony would be investigating the possibility of manufacturing PlayStation 4 units in Brazil--as it now does with the PlayStation 3-which would cut down on taxes. "Our primary focus right now is to ensure we are in full compliance with Brazilian import tax laws and look ahead the opportunity to locally manufacturing the PS4, which will significantly reduce the retail price. Sony Computer Entertainment began locally manufacturing PlayStation 3 in Manaus this past May and it immediately made PS3 more affordable to gamers in Brazil."

"We are doing everything possible at this moment to reduce the PS4 price for you," Stanley concluded. "We are in this together!"
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-says-brazil-s-1-850-playstation-4-price-is-not-good-for-the-playstation-brand/1100-6415696/

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
It is insane that companies can play the political game to make their revenues. The fact that they are/can sell the PS4 in the States and other territories because they get numbers, but they sell in in other places for higher prices because they can/won't get the same numbers is sad. Most gamers won't care, but it is ass-backwards if you ask me.

Maybe at some point when more and more of these stories are publicized, "1st world" gamers will get there heads out of ther behinds and start to realize that gaming corporations AREN"T ABOUT THE GAMER, they are about the bottom line first, and there consumers come next a little further down the line. Stop taking all the PR bull-spin at face value.

Sorry for the rant.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
It is insane that companies can play the political game to make their revenues. The fact that they are/can sell the PS4 in the States and other territories because they get numbers, but they sell in in other places for higher prices because they can/won't get the same numbers is sad. Most gamers won't care, but it is ass-backwards if you ask me.

Maybe at some point when more and more of these stories are publicized, "1st world" gamers will get there heads out of ther behinds and start to realize that gaming corporations AREN"T ABOUT THE GAMER, they are about the bottom line first, and there consumers come next a little further down the line. Stop taking all the PR bull-spin at face value.

Sorry for the rant.
You guys realize this is because of Brazil's fucked up luxury taxes, right? Luxury goods like the PS4 are taxed at an insane 365% of their original price.

Sorry for the rant.
Did you not read the article? Most of the money is consumed from import tax, you also have to think Rio is hosting the Olympics in a few year so I am sure their government is taxing the shit out of it to, so they can make some money. Why would Sony want to sell for that high? They don't and they wouldn't unless they were forced to. Over!

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
You guys realize this is because of Brazil's fucked up luxury taxes, right?
Did you not read the article? Most of the money is consumed from import tax, you also have to think Rio is hosting the Olympics in a few year so I am sure their government is taxing the shit out of it to, so they can make some money. Why would Sony want to sell for that high? They don't and they wouldn't unless they were forced to. Over!
Both of you guys realize that the PS4 in the US is $399 right? From the article, the PS4 in Brazil is $3999, which 63% of that is taxes, so that leaves $1479.63 for the base product. That is more than 3 times the US price AFTER taxes.

Also, my rant wasn't Sony focused; MS (I'm sure) is/will be over priced as well in those places, and the same can be said for many other products too. But the fact of the matter is many gamers REFUSE to look at the facts and see these companies (that includes Sony) for what they are...a business.

Both of you guys realize that the PS4 in the US is $399 right? From the article, the PS4 in Brazil is $3999, which 63% of that is taxes, so that leaves $1479.63 for the base product. That is more than 3 times the US price AFTER taxes.

Also, my rant wasn't Sony focused; MS (I'm sure) is/will be over priced as well in those places, and the same can be said for many other products too. But the fact of the matter is many gamers REFUSE to look at the facts and see these companies (that includes Sony) for what they are...a business.
It says R$3,999.

That's Brazilian currency.

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
You guys realize this is because of Brazil's fucked up luxury taxes, right? Luxury goods like the PS4 are taxed at an insane 365% of their original price.
I'm from Rio de Janeiro and I know the reasons. There is a "Sony Brazil" just to try to reduce the price of products but does not work for logical intere$t$. The only two reasons why this abuse and others to happen are: World Cup and Olympics.

Families are displaced and the land is taken by government and used in accordance with mega events. Ticket prices of public transport are launched in stratosphere to serve as a fund for all overpriced constructions work. Import taxes increased to steal money from the consumer. Not to mention numerous factors that lead to the difficulty of importing a product or travel to buy it off.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Brazilians have no one to blame but themselves. 63% import taxes! WTF! Vote your communist government out of power, reduce taxes, and then maybe you'll see more reasonable console and game prices.

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
Brazilians have no one to blame but themselves. 63% import taxes! WTF! Vote your communist government out of power, reduce taxes, and then maybe you'll see more reasonable console and game prices.
There is no government in the world that governs for the people. The government and mega events are to blame, not the people.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
In Angola shall cost nearly the same price, so only a fool will buy a PS4 this early, we will let the prices drop for a while, or order from outside.