What's new

Playstation 3 Users, Be Advised: DO NOT INSTALL THE 4.53 FIRMWARE UPDATE.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
An optional update for the Playstation 3 was released last night via the Internet. Some of the features it grants mirror those of 4.50, but with one little issue that has arisen among various PS3 owners...

The disc reader becomes inoperable.

Your digital downloads will continue to work, but as the 4.53 update apparently contains some faults with the Blu-ray upgrades it attempted to make, the reader gets inhibited by it. If you've already installed the update and your reader becomes unresponsive, you will need to wait till a fix is released.

Again, if you can avoid installing this update until further notice, do so.

Attachments

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Thanx Blake.. I'm sure you prevented a lot of issues for many of us...
I hope so, because I got unlucky enough to have this issue hit me right when the update became available for download. :(

A fix should be released once Sony takes notice, so hopefully I won't be inhibited for too long.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
You'd think they'd have learned by now. It's like re-living 3 years ago, when every ps3 update would destroy the bluray reader. Idiots.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Still no fix. :(

Sony better be taking notice, because this is ridiculous. I worried for the possibility of my console finally failing after five years of prolonged usage, but when I saw notes via Google searches that people's PS3s started suffering issues after the update, my doubts vanished.

My PS3's update version reads "4.50" in the System Information, but I am still able to sign into PSN normally.

It seems the 4.53 update was recalled; Sony has taken notice.

AK-Israel

I'm Back
My PS3's update version reads "4.50" in the System Information, but I am still able to sign into PSN normally.

It seems the 4.53 update was recalled; Sony has taken notice.
Nope just went to system update> update via internet and it said "The latest update data was found:
Version 4.53

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Oh. Perhaps it is no longer a mandatory update then?
It was never a mandatory update, actually. But in my defense, I had no way of knowing that this one would do any harm at all. NEVER had I experienced issues arising from PS3 hardware updates since I got my console in 2008.

And apparently, other updates have brought about a similar setback.

To think I was contemplating getting an Xbox One for the holidays.

It was never a mandatory update, actually. But in my defense, I had no way of knowing that this one would do any harm at all. NEVER had I experienced issues arising from PS3 hardware updates since I got my console in 2008.

And apparently, other updates have brought about a similar setback.

To think I was contemplating getting an Xbox One for the holidays.
See, I never try going for the System Update. It's why I wasn't aware of that.
Looks like your luck ran out for this update. :(

I've never had any update cause these disc errors before.

I'm still going for the PS4, eventually.