What's new

Persona 4 Arena

E3 Trailer

Random Tournament

E3 Stage Demo with descriptions of gameplay and series.

Persona 4 Arena is a fighter created by Arc System which based on one of the greatest RPG of all time (Persona 3 and Persona 4).

Persona 4 Arena is already release on arcades in Japan and is getting high praises as of yet and ontop of that will be featured at SBO (The Japanese version of EVO where the U.S usually go 0-2 in any game).

Its being released on PS3 and X360 on August 7.

Some of the features
-Netcode based off Blazblue (godlike netcode)
-4 button attack buttons; light and heavy normal attacks and light and heavy persona* attacks
-13 Characters with very different and unique styles
-Burst/Breaker
-Instant Kill finishers (don't worry its similar to BB/GG thus not really viable)
-Story Mode that is on par with Blazblues (which means there an actual story mode, trust me its a lot of content) with each character having their own story.
-Arcade Mode
-Versus Mode
-Practice Mode
-Challenge Mode
-Score Attack Mode
-Dual Audio
-Gallery/Theatre
-Persona bar; which allows special abilities and burst. If your persona gets hit their hp goes down temporarily and if knocked out the burst option will be greyed out. (persona hp gradually heal)
-Status Ailments just like in the RPG such as silence, poison, and confusion (your controls reverse)
-Button Config on character select screen

ATLUS TO OFFER PRE-ORDER BONUS MUSIC CD FOR PERSONA 4 ARENA IN NORTH AMERICA
Reserve your copy today to ensure you receive this limited collectible!
IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — JUNE 11, 2012 — ATLUS, a brand of Index Digital Media, Inc., today announced that customers who pre-order Persona®4 Arena™, the upcoming fighting spinoff of the award-winning Persona series of roleplaying games developed in collaboration with genre master Arc System Works, will receive a limited run music CD.
Fans who reserve a copy of Persona 4 Arena for either Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft or PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system (at participating retailers while supplies last) will receive the “Persona 4 Arena Arranged Soundtrack” disc, a set of select songs derived from the game’s score. With stage themes based on the music of Shoji Meguro, the acclaimed composer of countless award-winning Shin Megami Tensei and Persona titles, the Persona 4 Arena soundtrack is as memorable and gripping as the action that unfolds in the Midnight Arena.
Quantities of the bonus CD will be limited, so fans are encouraged to pre-order Persona 4 Arena for the platform of their choice before the offer is discontinued. Additional details regarding the bonus offer will be made available at a later date.
Persona 4 Arena is scheduled to release in North America on August 7th for Xbox 360 and PS3 systems. For more information, visit http://www.atlus.com/p4arena.
-Source Atlus andJoystiq

RELEASE DATE: August 7th
http://www.atlus.com/p4arena/ - main website
http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Persona_4_Arena -Wikipedia
*Persona = Inner Psyche/Representation of your characters soul

edit
-Same publisher of KOF13
-Demo will be at EVO
-Aimed towards high level competitive play

Figured there would be little to no interest for this considering its an anime game despite the makers being one of the best in fighting games =/.

Solid Tutorial by the devs

C-Sword

Noob
Will probably pick this one up, not a big fan of BB/GG tho. A new fighter that isn't made by Capcom is always welcomed.

Looks amazing tbh but no one will play it, especially if its as hard to pick up as bb.
From what I understand you can just smash your face against the A button and it'll do a combo for you, even ending the combo in super if you have the meter for it. Doesn't get much more accessible than that.

I love persona, but the gameplay looks garbage tbh. the button layout vid that i saw a while ago makes it seem super gimmicky. When i heard they were making it last year i decided to buy it day 1, but have since changed my mind, looks like a worse version of marvel3

I love persona, but the gameplay looks garbage tbh. the button layout vid that i saw a while ago makes it seem super gimmicky. When i heard they were making it last year i decided to buy it day 1, but have since changed my mind, looks like a worse version of marvel3
How does it look like Marvel 3? If anything it looks like Guilty Gear or BlazBlue especially with the button layout and the burst option so I don't understand how that makes it "gimmicky" considering 2 different IPs have the same/similar layout.

This game looks like a more open fighter with heavy emphasis on pressure and mixup. Also ArcSys is making the game, and they have yet to make a bad fighting game. Also This game is being playtested in arcades and has gotten really good reviews, so much that it is part of the SBO qualifiers.

This channel uploads quite a few Persona videos considering the length.

Will I be playing it? Probably not, I don't like to play too much 'competitive' games at once.

honesty i havent played either of those, but with the superjumps (considering persona never suggested that type of increased physical ability), single button specials, 3 button mash supers, blocking, garbage character design, crappy persona regulation system, and most importantly the design is just bad. none of this is true to the series, and why the heck are most of their personas the crappy ones? the protagonist (as he should be called, screw the anime name) should be using the wild card ability or if you want to stick him with one give him izanagi-okami. elizabeth should be frustratingly broken if she's in the game because have you fought her in p3 (also thanatos? why isnt she using Masakado and spamming her 9999 megidoloan?)? yukiko should use amaterasu and her specials should rape your health bar. et cetera.
that's just the beginning of my complaints. lets just say i really like the persona games and have devoted well over 2 solid weeks of gameplay per game, so it an either love it or hate it thing with spinoffs.

honesty i havent played either of those, but with the superjumps (considering persona never suggested that type of increased physical ability), single button specials, 3 button mash supers, blocking, garbage character design, crappy persona regulation system, and most importantly the design is just bad. none of this is true to the series, and why the heck are most of their personas the crappy ones? the protagonist (as he should be called, screw the anime name) should be using the wild card ability or if you want to stick him with one give him izanagi-okami. elizabeth should be frustratingly broken if she's in the game because have you fought her in p3 (also thanatos? why isnt she using Masakado and spamming her 9999 megidoloan?)? yukiko should use amaterasu and her specials should rape your health bar. et cetera.
that's just the beginning of my complaints. lets just say i really like the persona games and have devoted well over 2 solid weeks of gameplay per game, so it an either love it or hate it thing with spinoffs.
I agree completely. Also, I do NOT think that Goku could beat Superman in a fight. Canonically speaking, Superman has every advantage in that matchup. If you need more information on the subject I can link you to my college thesus.

Because its a fighting game? First off Elizabeth is a boss character and is considerably more powerful than rest of the cast but in multiplayer/vs she is balanced.
Also where is this "single button specials, 3 button mash supers? Are you talking out of your ass?

edit

IF you're trying to get some correlation between this game and mvc3 you aren't going to get that far. Also how is blocking "garbage"? What because it doesn't have a block button?

Because its a fighting game? First off Elizabeth is a boss character and is considerably more powerful than rest of the cast but in multiplayer/vs she is balanced.
Also where is this "single button specials, 3 button mash supers? Are you talking out of your ass?
oh, forgot to mention one button combos -__-
also, in persona you cant do an all out attack without a party, what is this garbage?

oh, forgot to mention one button combos -__-
also, in persona you cant do an all out attack without a party, what is this garbage?
Because there are no parties in a 1v1 fighting game?

Also the one button mash combo is the very very very very very basic bnb. If you're losing to that then you are just retarded and shouldn't be playing fighting games. Because 1) you're aren't even doing a good combo and 2) you aren't going to get frame traps, mixups, oki setups with those one button shit.

Execution shouldn't be a big barrier in fighting games. Playing smart should be the biggest factor whether you should win or not. I don't care if you have the execution of a god, but fall for the stupid crossup, frame trap, and etc.

edit

You're examples of why XYZ is bad is like saying MK9 combo system is garbage because they already tell you what to do and its all dial-a-combo with no links. Do you realize how retarded that sounds right now?

Also your comparison of characters is like saying Raiden should be the best character by miles. That his BNB should be unbreakable and do 80% dmg with an oki setup and have a block infinite.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Im picking this up but I just wish that it was a Persona fighter rather than a Persona 4 fighter with 2 persona 3 characters in it. If it was a LEGIT persona fighter i would have mained Maya the second she got announced.

Would have been even better if it was a Shin Megami Tensei fighter and had character from DDS1 &2, Devil summoner 1-4, SMT 1-strang journey etc in it. Would have loved to play as Hitoshura himself.

Also the one button mash combo is the very very very very very basic bnb. If you're losing to that then you are just retarded and shouldn't be playing fighting games. Because 1) you're aren't even doing a good combo and 2) you aren't going to get frame traps, mixups, oki setups with those one button shit.
Exactly. It's comparable to the magic series in Marvel. It's a very basic combo you can do day 1 when you don't know what you're doing, but fully optimized combos are going to take more execution than that.

Oh oops I just said something in this game is like Marvel, I guess it sucks and no one should buy it?????

Im picking this up but I just wish that it was a Persona fighter rather than a Persona 4 fighter with 2 persona 3 characters in it. If it was a LEGIT persona fighter i would have mained Maya the second she got announced.

Would have been even better if it was a Shin Megami Tensei fighter and had character from DDS1 &2, Devil summoner 1-4, SMT 1-strang journey etc in it. Would have loved to play as Hitoshura himself.
There are color palettes for Maya and other members of the Persona series (also BB/GG colors as well). I assume its Persona 4 Arena due to the release of Persona 4 Golden on the vita as well. Both release in the same time period (Aug for p4a, Oct P4G) to help boost hype for one another.

also, the video that BoysBoysBoys posted shows no chip on block even for supers, that's dumb. in the actual persona games you can block, but it still does damage, the only difference is you wont be downed if you're weak to certain elements. that's another thing, there doesnt seem to be weaknesses/strengths. that's such a big part of the fighting engine in the actual games it's not even funny.
actually i almost forgot, the protagonist should be using yoshitsune, cuz lets be real, once you can use hassau tobi that's all you need to use... maybe heal every once in a while

Hitoshura

Head Cage
There are color palettes for Maya and other members of the Persona series (also BB/GG colors as well). I assume its Persona 4 Arena due to the release of Persona 4 Golden on the vita as well. Both release in the same time period (Aug for p4a, Oct P4G) to help boost hype for one another.
I understand that but having colors of maya and having her in the game are two completely different things :(

also, the video that BoysBoysBoys posted shows no chip on block even for supers, that's dumb. in the actual persona games you can block, but it still does damage, the only difference is you wont be downed if you're weak to certain elements. that's another thing, there doesnt seem to be weaknesses/strengths. that's such a big part of the fighting engine in the actual games it's not even funny.
actually i almost forgot, the protagonist should be using yoshitsune, cuz lets be real, once you can use hassau tobi that's all you need to use... maybe heal every once in a while
I think your problem is you want the game to be so much like the source material. I mean with that logic Raiden should be the best character in mk9 by miles right? Or that Akuma/Seth should be the best characters with a million health in SF4? Do you see how bad that logic even sounds?

I understand that but having colors of maya and having her in the game are two completely different things :(
I agree. I wanted Yukari in =X

I want it to be true to the game/series it claims to represent. weaknesses, strengths, null, reflect, and absorb was such a big element in that series and ignoring it altogether seems problematic. that's actually the first thing i asked when i heard the game was in development, how null and reflect are going to work. i think they should have figured out a way to put it in, like maybe it takes effect when the persona is out or something, but just leaving it out of the game altogether is really dumb. it's like if they make a persona 5 with no wild card ability. not gonna happen because that's a key part of the series.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Persona 5 Lol I like how the persona series gets popular from p3 b/c of animoo cutscenes and It took me 8 years to get a smt IV.