What's new

Perfect Legend - "Kabal is falling off my tier list. Cyrax is #1 no question."

I have all the respect in the world for PL's accomplishments but I tend to take his opinions on match-ups with a grain of salt. Not because I'm more qualified to comment on the matter, but because he changes his mind every day.

I do think however, that Cyrax is a top 3 character who could well be the second best in the game, or at least, tied for second best. As far as tools go, this characters is fucking ridiculous. This is the obligatory post where I mention his tools: Very good normals. Great pokes (with some great cancel options). A retarded D4 that leads to a terrifying block string/command grab mix-up. Speaking of which, an even more retarded command grab. Bombs control the screen in a shit ton of match ups. An anti air grab that has ridiculous priority (if you think about it, a Cyrax player can literally deal with every single jump in/cross up with this move alone). Preposterous damage (while potentially draining your meter in the process). Huge unbreakable damage. Breaker traps. Did I leave anything out?

And to think that 9 months ago, people were debating whether he was top 5 (thank god for MLG Dallas). Yeah, we're the same community that thinks we know everything about who are the best characters in Injustice a few months after the game's release. It took us almost two years to realize how ridiculous Cyrax is.
cyrax's bombs are shit in almost all matchups, they can be counter-projectiled on reaction by 80% of the cast at least, if you playing almost any character and cyrax isn't coming to you 90% of the time you are playing it wrong

Mt Mutombo

Banned
It's not that farfetched IMHO. If Cyrax can make a puppet out of Kabal by not taking the bait on IAGB and waiting for him to corner himself, what does that say about characters that don't have problems against IAGB?

In turn, what does it say about characters that don't have an air fireball vs Cyrax?

On the flipside, nobody else has a meter nullifying EX net, a resetting command grab and 90% damage all in one package, so this doesn't mean every other character will start butchering holes out of Kabal.

It's all speculative within 3 days, but EVO blew the spectrum wide open. No doubt about it.
It is

Cyrax has 2 great weaknesses, zoning and crazy ass pressure. Maybe pressure not so much as zoning but Kabal trumps Cyrax in that aspect. DJT was just the better player plain and simple. And about the EX net, it's hella good but it doesn't matter, Kabal builds meter like crazy.

If Kabal has 2 bars, Cyrax has to spend 2 bars to get around 40%(one for the EX net and one for the reset) or less off of a combo, before Kabal can break, and i wont mention if he has 3 bars, pretty self explanatory. And after that Kabal will build meter like a maniac with IAGB or pressure and by the time Cyrax has one bar, Kabal will have minumum 1 1/2 bars. However you paint this picture, Kabals meter building destroys Cyrax.

Again i say DJT played perfect, there is no other word, just perfect that's how he beat kabals broken ass.

And kitana beating Kabal. Cmon PL lmao...

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
cyrax preys on mistakes however so if we balanced the risk/reward ratios of the read scenarios matchups might be different

but at the highest level this beast of a character could be anywhere between 2 and 6, but not better than a character who literally beats everyone else if played to perfection.
Well in the sense of playing to perfection, it looked like DJT was doing a lot of stuff on reaction, we complain about poking out of NDC's while he was literally standing 1'ing and hitconfirming into net.

Crathen

Death is my business
He's top 3 material but Kabal is undeniably #1.

Always sustained Cyrax as great at footsies with super reliable anti air throw , the damage is what really makes him able to compete and switch the outcome of a match in one or two openings at max , the scary part was that DJT didn't even consistently do resets and breaker trap combos to not make REO break.

Still godlike footsie tools

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Take everything PL says with a ton of salt because this is the same guy that said Kung Lao is not top 5.

Kabal not #1 seriously?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Ah, more overreactions after a tournament again. Stryker top 5? He beat Kabal that one tournament, right? Kabal is the unquestioned number 1 character in this game, GTFO. Cyrax is up there too but Kabal beats him.

STRYKIE

Remember how KL had no weaknesses before the patch he got on things that were punishable anyway? We all know how that turned out.

The only way I can see Kabal's meter game staying on top is if Kabal commits to NDC pressure exclusively, which has worked, the problem there is, DJT knew how to scout every last derivative of it to the point where Detroit and REO were just comitting to the dash, which in turn gave him what he wanted, a bar of meter.

But the thing is, if anyone knows how to keep on top of this matchup, it's gonna be one of those two, there's nothing concrete to suggest REO wouldn't haven taken the next 7 games.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I would give Cyrax top 3, but not #1. Kabal is the undisputed best. In my opinion Kabal has no 5-5 match-ups besides the mirror match; he beats Kung Lao 6-4, Cyblax 6-4, Kitana 6-4, Reptile 6-4, and beats every other character in the game I didn't mention 7-3 or worse.

Honestly DJT played amazing, REO played amazing, they are both possibly top Cyrax and top Kabal respectively. But in my honest opinion, Cyrax and Kabal aren't even near being played to their highest potential yet. This game is still being fleshed out, and we are starting to see that now ever since last Friday. Human error keeps us from playing Kabal and Cyrax at the highest possible level, it is too hard to have the perfect execution you need at all times to be playing these two characters at the highest possible level.

Kabal being played at the highest possible level:
Your IAGB are perfect. You can IAGB so fast and so low to the ground that your opponent can't even dash block to get in. They have to walk crouch, walk crouch, walk crouch. Because dashing will cause you to get hit in the face by a gas blast. You have to be able to 2~NDC block infinite big hitbox characters, and also need to be able to mixup the block infinite with things such as B1~EX NDC and F32~EX NDC. Playing Kabal at the highest possible level means that your zoning is so perfect that by the time your opponent gets next to you, you already have a full bar of meter. And you can use that meter to EX Nomad Dash and EX NDC. EX Nomad Dash/NDC stops cross overs, stops jump ins, stops rushdown, stops zoning. It literally does everything. You can even use EX NDC to pressure your opponent and have enough frame advantage to guarantee that they have to block your next attack. You need to pressure your opponent all day and use mix-ups until you eventually guess right with low buzz saw or hookswords. Any time you connect with low buzz saw or hookswords = a hard knockdown, and any time Kabal gets a hard knockdown you can zone until you have full bar of meter again. Not to mention Kabal has 40% meterless BnB's that end in F4 standing reset, in which you can start pressuring your opponent, mix them up, or just start zoning for your full bar of meter again. When Kabal plays perfectly, he is literally untouchable.

Cyrax being played at highest possible level:
Everytime you touch your opponent, it is a 100% combo. Tony-T showed combos where if you shoot a net from full screen and it catches your opponent, you can teleport to them and get a 100%. Whether the net caught them in the air or on the ground. Also Cyrax has like unbreakable 70% combos I believe. Hell I even seen Cyrax combos posted on this website that were like 60% meterless. So that means if Cyrax is being played perfectly at the highest possible level with no human error or no mistakes, you opponent loses his whole life bar every single time he is caught in a net, whether the net catches you grounded or airborne, sweep distance or full-screen, it doesn't even matter. And if Cyrax has meter, he can do anywhere between 40%-70% unbreakable combos. That means you can't even save yourself with your breaker. Also let's not forget his EX net. Let's take this situation for example. Let's say this was a real tournament match. Kung Lao vs Cyrax. Kung Lao has a 100% life with one bar of meter, Cyrax has 1% life 2 bars of meter. Kung Lao decides to chip out Cyrax with a dive kick. The dive kick wasn't enough, Cyrax blocks the dive kick. 21~EX net..... Now Cyrax just did a 100% combo with 1 bar of meter and Kung Lao is dead, he couldn't get a breaker in time to stop the combo. That is some shit that could legitimately happen in a real match. That is fucked up lol.

^^^

Nobody is playing Cyrax or Kabal like this yet, and when people do start playing Cyrax and Kabal like this every single other character in the game is pretty much going to become obsolete. But like I said, human error prevents people from playing Cyrax and Kabal like this, so it will probably never happen. Humans make mistakes, humans mess up inputs and humans drop combos.

Remember how KL had no weaknesses before the patch he got on things that were punishable anyway? We all know how that turned out.

The only way I can see Kabal's meter game staying on top is if Kabal commits to NDC pressure exclusively, which has worked, the problem there is, DJT knew how to scout every last derivative of it to the point where Detroit and REO were just comitting to the dash, which in turn gave him what he wanted, a bar of meter.

But the thing is, if anyone knows how to keep on top of this matchup, it's gonna be one of those two, there's nothing concrete to suggest REO wouldn't haven taken the next 7 games.
if they played in a long set, denzell still would've did the same thing the whole time. The problem is, if you adjust to one thing, he'd just switch it up (does this to me at home all the time). A longer set benefits my bro definitely.

Yinze

"Tell me, do you bleed?...You will."
Lol Cyrax been the best. He can drain your breaker and kill you in one reset

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
If you ask me patience seems to be Kabal's weakness.

That and 90% combos lol.

But Kabal could be more patient. And seriously if the Kabal player wanted to he could Iagb Cyrax the whole match until time runs out every round, so he would never get 90% comboed. And if Cyrax just so happened to ever get lucky and somehow got next to Kabal, Kabal has full meter so he breakers than Iagb until he has full meter again. Kabal is fucked up lol

STRYKIE

If you ask me patience seems to be Kabal's weakness.

That and 90% combos lol.
This. Almost every other Cyrax loses their patience and ends up banking on random net trades. Only other Cyrax I would say takes nothing for granted with patience is Mustard but then he hasn't really been able to grind the Kabal matchup in general.

if they played in a long set, denzell still would've did the same thing the whole time. The problem is, if you adjust to one thing, he'd just switch it up (does this to me at home all the time). A longer set benefits my bro definitely.
Well I kinda meant the next 7 games in general, which could've meant the next day or over the course of the next year lol. But yeah, DJT was the most disciplined player during the set and that's why he won EVO, without question.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Can no one admit that Denzell played his ass off and outplayed someone in a disadvantage MU? It might not be the 8-2 or 7-3 we thought it was based on only 2 years of playing, but it has been shown to be winnable now. Props are in order for the new Champ, and no one should try to take away from his win by saying "it's Cyrax". I support and like PL, but I can't see Cyrax as # 1 when he goes even with several of the top 10-15 (although he beats the the hell out of the fishes) but probably has 1-3 losing matchups still, while Kabal probably beats everyone at least 6-4 (He might have a 5-5, if we're pushing it)

One thing I'll never downplay about Cyrax is he always has the "punchers chance" to pull an even/disadvantage win out of his ass from time to time.

But Kabal could be more patient. And seriously if the Kabal player wanted to he could Iagb Cyrax the whole match until time runs out every round, so he would never get 90% comboed. And if Cyrax just so happened to ever get lucky and somehow got next to Kabal, Kabal has full meter so he breakers than Iagb until he has full meter again. Kabal is fucked up lol
kabal can be jacked up like that lol, but then again stages come into play as well. On the rooftop it is really dumb playing versus kabal, but on the pit, things change a lot for sure.