What's new

Patch Update: Reptile has Armor on Ex-slide

retic

Noob
Looking at it that way, maybe the damage nerf isn't a big deal.

EDIT: Also, since WHEN did slow normals equal bad character? Mileena's normals are slow too, yet no one says she's garbage.
Mileena? Slow normals? There is a reason why sub/rep players have a tough time dealing with her because of her superior normals. She has her amazing d4 and her hopkick which may be slow, dodges a whole bunch of normals. She also hasn't experienced a damage nerf IIRC.

Elbow dash is the least of your worries; countless threads have been made on how to deal with it.

The damage nerf just makes Kung Lao's low hat nerf look tame in comparison.

F**** this...I'm switching to Scorp/Sub if this pushes thru.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
No. This is what they're noticing in some tourney from NRS.
Reptile is my main (along with smoke.) I could care less about the armor on the EX slide. The damage nerf is stupid, they already nerfed him overall and now thery are going to nerf his damage again. It seems almost as if NRS wants Reptile to be mid-tier like the original MK guide (which was totally wrong.) Man this blows.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Reptile is my main (along with smoke.) I could care less about the armor on the EX slide. The damage nerf is stupid, they already nerfed him overall and now thery are going to nerf his damage again. It seems almost as if NRS wants Reptile to be mid-tier like the original MK guide (which was totally wrong.) Man this blows.
I'm happy with EX slide armor, it gives the same advantages as it does with Sub Zero, but the damage was perfect now my bnb is going to be a total of 12 hits for a whopping 26%. sub zero's bnb is 5 hits for about the same, Reptile's combos are officially on Sindel's level.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
WTF ARMOR? thats just stupid

its even close to being a necessity at all come on NRS

btw 26%?!@?!?!?!?

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I'm happy with EX slide armor, it gives the same advantages as it does with Sub Zero, but the damage was perfect now my bnb is going to be a total of 12 hits for a whopping 26%. sub zero's bnb is 5 hits for about the same, Reptile's combos are officially on Sindel's level.
If Reptile's EX slide goes full screen like Sub-zero's then I will say it's worth it. Until then I don't believe that the EX slide having armor should warrant a damage nerf. Just fix the EX forceball glitch and leave Reptile alone.

Mileena? Slow normals? There is a reason why sub/rep players have a tough time dealing with her because of her superior normals. She has her amazing d4 and her hopkick which may be slow, dodges a whole bunch of normals. She also hasn't experienced a damage nerf IIRC.

Elbow dash is the least of your worries; countless threads have been made on how to deal with it.

The damage nerf just makes Kung Lao's low hat nerf look tame in comparison.

F**** this...I'm switching to Scorp/Sub if this pushes thru.
What are you talking about? Mileena's normals aren't the biggest reason for her doing well in those matches, her specials are... Even so, my whole point was that a character's viability in this game has never been based on SPEED of normals, which is what I've been reading throughout this thread. (Reptile has slow normals) Reptile's D4 is almost as good/fast as Mileenas, and can be linked to a 50/50 mid/low special.

No, Mileena never got a damage nerf. Probably because her damage was already average to start. (She needs 3 bars and a jump in punch just to get to 46%)
And I wasn't complaining about how to deal with elbow dash... I was making a point saying that if NRS listened to only garbage players the move would be erased entirely. So not sure where that even came from.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
If Reptile's EX slide goes full screen like Sub-zero's then I will say it's worth it. Until then I don't believe that the EX slide having armor should warrant a damage nerf. Just fix the EX forceball glitch and leave Reptile alone.
If you know the range it doesn't need to go full screen, it practically goes full screen already, 3/4 at worst.

Truth

Noob
Here is the footage of the stream:
[video]http://www.twitch.tv/netherrealm/b/294587516[/video]

Go to the times of 1:48:50, 1:51:00, 1:52:23 (this is the best example) to see the armor on ex-slide. The damage nerf is visible throughout the match but the best example comes at 1:55:40 when Reptile goes to punish Mileenas roll he hits her 10 times for only 26%.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
If you know the range it doesn't need to go full screen, it practically goes full screen already, 3/4 at worst.
I know but still.

I have done a lot of research on Reptile's slide.

His regular side goes 4/6 across the the screen=66% range.

His EX slide goes 5/6 across the screen=83% range.

The way I obtained is information was by training mode. From full screen I saw how many full steps it takes to get into grab range. it takes 6 full steps for Reptile to reach full screen. With regular slide you have to move in 2 full steps to hit your opponent and with the EX slide you only have to move 1 full step in. Another fun fact is that if you are starting a new match and the announcer says "FIGHT" if you jump backwards you will be just out of regular slide range, but if you take a very very small step forward you are in slide range.

Not that this has anything to do with the upcoming patch. I just thought I would throw this in there.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Here is the footage of the stream:
[video]http://www.twitch.tv/netherrealm/b/294587516[/video]

Go to the times of 1:48:50, 1:51:00, 1:52:23 (this is the best example) to see the armor on ex-slide. The damage nerf is visible throughout the match but the best example comes at 1:55:40 when Reptile goes to punish Mileenas roll he hits her 10 times for only 26%.
You mean where he does a 3 2 fb 3 2 fb 321 slide, that already did 26% dude, am I freaking out for no reason? I can't watch the footage so idk, but I know that punish already did 26%.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I'm confused as to what they want to do with Reptile.

The reason Reptile is so good is because he is extremely versatile and has a lot of potential to get a juggle in. Giving him armor on slide imo is kind of dumb because they are taking away pretty much his only weakness which is getting outzoned. They are lowering his damage even though he can't for the life of him break 45% without burning all 3 bars. I'm just failing to understand why they did this, Reptile is already a great character he needs no buffs and the only think that seems fair to nerf is his forceball glitch, elbow dash recovery time and maybe the damage his elbow dash does (11% to 8% seems fair)

retic

Noob
From the front page article of TYM:

Reptile

+ EX slide has armor

- slight damage reduction in some combos

- elbow dash is -21 on block; it is -15 on block in the current version of the game

.....congratulations. I guess Sheeva now has company in the "low tier" bench...unless Sheeva's new buffs makes her better than Reptile.

This feels like Super SF 4 Sagat before his changes in AE; top tier to "WTF tier".

And I wasn't complaining about how to deal with elbow dash... I was making a point saying that if NRS listened to only garbage players the move would be erased entirely. So not sure where that even came from.
My bad. was referring to the part where you said he has very good mobility with his elbow dash. I guess mobility now means squat since Reptile can now barely put a dent on the opponent's lifebar.

You mean where he does a 3 2 fb 3 2 fb 321 slide, that already did 26% dude, am I freaking out for no reason? I can't watch the footage so idk, but I know that punish already did 26%.
What tha.....the 32 fb 32 fb 321 slide punish sure does 26% in the current patch; is this the "BnB" that got nerfed?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Reptile players should be fine with making the dash easier to punish. The defense has always been that good players punish it anyway and it's only hard online with lag. This should make no difference in offline competitive play right?

retic

Noob
Reptile players should be fine with making the dash easier to punish. The defense has always been that good players punish it anyway and it's only hard online with lag. This should make no difference in offline competitive play right?
as long as the recovery time isn't enough for the player to actually be able to chug a beer, step forward and do an uppercut in response, this should be okay.

I'm just VERY salty about the damage nerf. Maybe I won't be THAT salty if they sped up his moves in general..

Truth

Noob
I haven't played the game in a while but I know from watching the video Reptile's damage starts to scale more when he goes for juggles. You should try to watch the video to see what I mean. Also check the frontpage as m2dave posted his observations about in which he also lists a damage reduction on Reptile's combos. Sorry to burst your bubble but did you really think they were going Reptile armor without any tradeoffs? I think it's only fair, but I'm guessing a lot of Reptile players didn't want him changed except for that forceball glitch.

CitizenSnips

Yeah I have no problems with elbow dash getting recovery time as long as it's not super ridiculous. I don't think it should be so easily punished that you can drop the controller and punish it, but you should be able to punish it with little to no effort on reaction.

The damage nerf (if it exists... people seem to not be sure if it's really nerfed or not) and the slide buff is making me confused.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I haven't played the game in a while but I know from watching the video Reptile's damage starts to scale more when he goes for juggles. You should try to watch the video to see what I mean. Also check the frontpage as m2dave posted his observations about in which he also lists a damage reduction on Reptile's combos. Sorry to burst your bubble but did you really think they were going Reptile armor without any tradeoffs? I think it's only fair, but I'm guessing a lot of Reptile players didn't want him changed except for that forceball glitch.
Thats how I felt. Fix his EX forceball glitch and leave Reptile alone.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Some of you guys are just like the kung lao players who think he'll be along side sheeva with his nerf too. Take a step back, Look at the potentiol Reptile has, and realise these nerfs are not as bad as it seems.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The armor buff is good. It won't 100% solve his bad matchups, just will make them a little easier (Though not as much as you guys think). Also, the armor will give him an option vs frame traps, because as it stands, Reptile is one of the few characters who cannot deal with +frame strings due to lack of armor (Notice how Noob is also getting armor?).

The damage nerf is just a compensation, and it's not that bad. Reptile already has some of the highest opportunities to get 25+% from ANYWHERE on the screen. IMO 34% from jabs isn't really necessary. Plus I kinda understand now how difficult it can be to punish elbow. It's easy when you are fully predicting it, but at times it can be hard. The new animation just makes it more obvious, you still have to time stuff.

CitizenSnips

The armor buff is good. It won't 100% solve his bad matchups, just will make them a little easier (Though not as much as you guys think). Also, the armor will give him an option vs frame traps, because as it stands, Reptile is one of the few characters who cannot deal with +frame strings due to lack of armor (Notice how Noob is also getting armor?).

The damage nerf is just a compensation, and it's not that bad. Reptile already has some of the highest opportunities to get 25+% from ANYWHERE on the screen. IMO 34% from jabs isn't really necessary. Plus I kinda understand now how difficult it can be to punish elbow. It's easy when you are fully predicting it, but at times it can be hard. The new animation just makes it more obvious, you still have to time stuff.
Yeah I don't think the buffs/nerfs will change anything drastically but I guess I'm just kind of confused as to why they made the changes. It seems like keeping Reptile's weaknesses would be the smart thing to do. I know the slide won't make him destroy everything but still it's just kind of weird why they decided he needed it.

I'm just hoping the njp combo still does 41% (with jump in) or at the worst like 39%

sLeeK

Noob

Reading your post just brought me a sense of relief, thank you.