What's new

Patch 1.14 Notes [Jan 21st 2020] (PS4/XB1)

Patch notes:

General Gameplay Adjustments

• Move list corrections
  • Improvements to AI logic
  • Fixed issues with some augments not working correctly
  • Fixed issue with using random select in online matches causing improper display of abilities and variation name
  • Fixed several sources of online desyncs
  • Armor on Fatal Blow attacks now start up in 8 frames (up from 5)
  • Fatal Blow attacks for all characters except Cassie Cage can no longer hit opponent from behind
  • Ducking Front Punch, Ducking Front Kick, & Ducking Back Kick cannot be cancelled into a special move when Flawless Blocked
  • Jump Back Punch has 5 less frames of blockstun on block and Flawless Block
  • Jump Front Punch and Back Punch attacks can no longer be cancelled into air special moves when Flawless Blocked
  • Jump Front Punch and Back Punch cannot be cancelled into normal attacks or ground special moves upon landing when Flawless Blocked
  • Jump Kick attacks have slightly increased damage scaling to match Jump Punch attacks and 4 more frames of recovery when blocked
  • Jump Kick attacks can no longer be cancelled into air special moves when Flawless Blocked
  • Jump Kick attacks can no longer be cancelled into grounded special moves upon landing when blocked or Flawless Blocked
  • Characters that have Escape Failed Krushing Blows on both Toward and Back throws can now only use one throw Krushing Blow per match
  • Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect victim regions for several frames if the character went from ducking to standing and did no further inputs with precise timing
  • Fixed rare issue that could cause a character to get hit by a high projectile if they are duck blocking and release block with precise timing
  • Fixed issue with defensive bar not refilling at the correct rate when a round ends while one bar has been destroyed by "Chip Avoided" and the second bar is not full
  • Added several new Brutalities for players to discover
Kombat League / Online

• Minor online stability improvements
  • Fixed several rare online desync causes
Krypt

• Added new Nether Forge Recipes for players to discover
Towers of Time

• Added support for new upcoming Holiday Towers
Stage Specific Adjustments

• Shirai Ryu Fire Garden - Fixed issue that allowed stone toss interaction in the left corner to be used while facing the corner
  • Special Forces Desert Command - Fixed issue with cactus needles lingering at an incorrect location after uppercut brutality is performed
  • Kronika's Hour Glass - In Versus Mode, Tournament Mode & 1v1 Online Modes, this Arena will now select from a random list of Background Interactions to be used
  • Chaotian Age - In Versus Mode, Tournament Mode & 1v1 Online Modes, this Arena will now select from a random list of Background Interactions to be used
  • Prehistoric Age - In Versus Mode, Tournament Mode & 1v1 Online Modes, this Arena will now select from a random list of Background Interactions to be used
  • The Kronika's Hour Glass, Chaotian Age, and Prehistoric Age Arenas are no longer disabled by default in Tournament Mode
Character Specific Adjustments

• Cetrion - Far H2 P0rt now costs 2 bars of Defensive Gauge (up from 1)
  • Cetrion - The visual effects of Hell's Wrath when Amplified now disappear properly when it is projectile destroyed
  • D'Vorah - Fixed a rare camera issue during the Fatal Blow cinematic while on the right side on Kharon's Ship
  • Erron Black - Adjusted the hit region of Quick Shot (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch)
  • Erron Black - Bounty Bash (Back Punch) now recovers 3 frames faster on block
  • Erron Black - Deal In Lead (Back Punch, Front Punch) now has 5 more frames of blockstun and 5 more recovery frames slower on block
  • Frost - Cryogenic Crown now does 3 damage (up from 1), has decreased combo damage scaling, and has 2 more active frames
  • Geras - Titan Charge (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch) now has 9 startup frames (up from 6)
  • Geras - Time Splash (Jump Down + Back Punch) now has 5 less frames of blockstun
  • Geras - The Deathless Giant (Towards + Back Punch, Front Punch) now has 4 more frames of hit advantage, 5 less frames of recovery on hit, and its cancel frame occurs 1 frame later
  • Geras - Matter Of Time (Towards + Back Punch, Front Punch, Back Punch) now has 25 startup frames (up from 20) and recovers 3 frames slower
  • Geras - Sand Trap and Quick Sand causes 5 less frames of blockstun when it is Flawless Blocked
  • Geras - Temporal Advantage hit region slightly adjusted when opponent is in a combo
  • Jacqui Briggs - Fixed an issue with several Kombo Attacks that allowed them to be cancelled into Wall of Justice (Fatal Blow) during their first 3 startup frames
  • Jade - Heaven's Heel (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch) and it has 1 less recovery frame and had its hit region slightly adjusted
  • Johnny Cage - High Forceball & Low Forceball now have 11 startup frames (up from 9)
  • Johnny Cage - Rise And Shine (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch) now has 9 startup frames (up from 7)
  • Kitana - Adjusted the hit region of Fanning Out (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch)
  • Kitana - Purge The Weak (Away + Front Punch, Back Kick) now hits mid
  • Kitana - Fixed an issue with several Kombo Attacks that allowed them to be cancelled into Deadly Game (Fatal Blow) during their first 3 startup frames
  • Kotal Kahn - Mehtizquia Cut now has 2 more active frames, 3 less recovery frames, and causes 5 more frames of blockstun with increased pushback when not Flawless Blocked
  • Kotal Kahn - Fixed rare issue that could cause Kotal Kahn to move quickly across the screen if he cancelled an attack into Coatl Parry with precise timing while in close proximity to an opponent performing a Breakaway
  • Kung Lao - Possessed Hat now throws two projectiles at the opponent
  • Noob - Adjusted the hit region of Wraith Boot (Getup / Block Attack Up + Front Kick)
  • Skarlet - Adjusted the hit region of Bloody Boots (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch)
  • Skarlet - Bloodport Far now costs 2 bars of Defensive Gauge (up from 1)
  • Skarlet - Fixed a rare camera issue when successfully parrying an attack with Dagger Dance
  • Skarlet - Fixed a rare issue that could cause Skarlet to be unable to duck Sindel's Back It Up (Away + Front Kick, Back Kick, Back Punch) high attack in certain circumstances
  • Sub-Zero - Adjusted the hit region of Chilled Heel (Getup / Block Attack Up + Front Kick)
  • Shang Tsung - Screaming Soul Amplify is now correctly affected by projectile destroying moves
  • Shang Tsung - Fixed issue with being unable to perform Spare Time or Lost Time while morphed into Geras after the first round
  • Sindel - Fixed an issue with several Kombo Attacks that allowed them to be cancelled into Edenian Royal Decree (Fatal Blow) during their first 3 startup frames
  • Sindel - Low Star Screamer Amplify is now correctly affected by projectile destroying moves
  • Terminator - Fixed an issue with several Kombo Attacks that allowed them to be cancelled into Chill Out (Fatal Blow) during their first 3 startup frames
  • Terminator - AI will now correctly use "Terminate" ability

Source: https://mortalkombatgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041627554-Official-MK11-PS4-XB1-Patch-Notes-01-21-20

Last edited:

Comments

You don’t seem to understand how the wakeup system works. If your opponent is wavedashing in to throw you, you’re free to blow them up for it. If they are waiting for your roll frames to end, then you don’t need to be rolling at all, and can just get up and do whatever you want.

U2/U3, delay and roll are meant to be used against people who are playing aggressively/trying to meaty you. If they are playing passively, then you should be taking the initiative. And if they are doing something as wildly unsafe as rolling on your wakeup, then just block and blow them up.

There’s literally an answer for everything on wakeup, it just requires you to think and make smarter choices. Better players use the meter-dependent options sparingly because they only apply to certain situations in the first place.
I understand full well, you don't seem to understand the concept of why the wake up system in this game is flawed however. It's to give the player options on wake up lol, this is most likely a reason you never liked Kabal or Cyrax in MK 9 because you let them pressure you and that game was a much better wake system as you had armor and didn't cost any meter. No you're NOT free to blow them up when you're rolling, you are vulnerable when rolling backwards or forwards if they throw you. You do know how throws work right? They're an option to stop rolls in their tracks. NRS explained this day one, so I don't know what you're talking about with blowing them up for free, no only when you're standing but not when you're rolling. The point of a roll is to get away or past someone, the distance is so short, the armor so trivial it's so easy to get punished at the end frames of a roll, wait for it or simply throw.

Yes, I'm aware but that still doesn't justify the system not working properly. Even when you delay a wake up attack and it whiffs or still gets stuffed out by a normal or special from your opponent they're pretty much moot and useless. Again, I've seen this happen to me plenty times. The only MK game where this has happened with wake up options. Again, having plenty of options that don't work is not an answer, that's what people want you to think but think of it like this. You have 4 different guns to use but they all have a flaw, one may have bad recoil, another may jam, another has issues with ammo etc, etc but you still have multiple guns...see the problem there? None of them work perfectly, that's the same issue with wake ups in this game. I know you love MK 11 and think it's this "perfect MK" that has no flaws and should be on a pedestal but sadly that's far from the truth. That being said again I want quality over quantity, always. MK 9's you had to respect because they had armor and they actually worked in the corner especially unlike MK 11's that can be punished, baited easily, corner trapped easily etc, etc I mean hell dude even MK X's armor Wall leaps were a better option than MK 11's options in the corner.

Last edited:
Again, having plenty of options that don't work is not an answer,
It's not really plenty of options that don't work, it's having different options to counter different decisions from the opponent instead of just having one blanket option that covers everything the opponent does 100% of the time.

The wakeup options in MK11 generally work well in the situation they're designed to work in. If you find yourself constantly getting blown up on wakeup, then you should probably re-evaluate what you're doing. It's likely you're just choosing the wrong option.

I understand full well, you don't seem to understand the concept of why the wake up system in this game is flawed however. It's to give the player options on wake up lol, this is most likely a reason you never liked Kabal or Cyrax in MK 9 because you let them pressure you and that game was a much better wake system as you had armor and didn't cost any meter. No you're NOT free to blow them up when you're rolling, you are vulnerable when rolling backwards or forwards if they throw you. You do know how throws work right? They're an option to stop rolls in their tracks. NRS explained this day one, so I don't know what you're talking about with blowing them up for free, no only when you're standing but not when you're rolling. The point of a roll is to get away or past someone, the distance is so short, the armor so trivial it's so easy to get punished at the end frames of a roll, wait for it or simply throw.

Yes, I'm aware but that still doesn't justify the system not working properly. Even when you delay a wake up attack and it whiffs or still gets stuffed out by a normal or special from your opponent they're pretty much moot and useless. Again, I've seen this happen to me plenty times. The only MK game where this has happened with wake up options. Again, having plenty of options that don't work is not an answer, that's what people want you to think but think of it like this. You have 4 different guns to use but they all have a flaw, one may have bad recoil, another may jam, another has issues with ammo etc, etc but you still have multiple guns...see the problem there? None of them work perfectly, that's the same issue with wake ups in this game. I know you love MK 11 and think it's this "perfect MK" that has no flaws and should be on a pedestal but sadly that's far from the truth. That being said again I want quality over quantity, always. MK 9's you had to respect because they had armor and they actually worked in the corner especially unlike MK 11's that can be punished, baited easily, corner trapped easily etc, etc I mean hell dude even MK X's armor Wall leaps were a better option than MK 11's options in the corner.
So you basically want a wakeup that covers everything and lets you get up for free?

So you basically want a wakeup that covers everything and lets you get up for free?
They weren't free in MK 9 you can punished wake ups in that game, I just want them to be actually feared and respected again. MK 11 they're not not to mention cost 2 bars of of def meter which is ridiculous.

I never played MK9, how did the wakeup system work in that game?
Wake ups had armor, didn't cost anything and worked much better. They were also your special moves the wake ups, say Sektor for example was corner trapped by Johnny Cage and can't jump out of trouble. He could do his teleport punch which had armor. They could be punished however but when pressured they worked a lot better than MK 11's and if you whiff it or get stuffed out in MK 11 you just wasted meter.

I never played MK9, how did the wakeup system work in that game?
These were the options for wakeup in MK9:

-Normal Special
-EX Special
-Delayed WU
-Backward Tech Roll

Normal specials had 11 frames of initial invincibility, and EX had 20. A vast majority of specials could be used as wakeup attacks, but very few normal specials actually covered that 11 frames of invincibility.

Delayed wakeup did not grant full invincibility, and you could be picked up with a move that hits low enough. You could block this move, however.

Tech roll could only be done backwards, and you could wakeup attack out of it, unless done out of a delayed WU (had no invincibility if done this way). Throws eliminated normal tech roll, but delayed wakeup roll could be used.

The mechanics could be very lopsided, though, since the wakeup attacks were based on specials. Characters like Kenshi could abuse the invincibility frames and have completely invulnerable, yet safe, meterless wakeup attacks, and due to armor on a lot of specials, some characters had a full set of attacks that could be used to cover every situation. The mechanics kinda discouraged oki, because of this, and was a huge reason why restands were pretty big advantages (the other being that many restands were very plus).

MK9's wakeup system definitely couldn't be implemented to MK11's, though.

Last edited:
This little video is a comprehensive guide to all of Geras's changes in the patch, complete with my advice on how you can best adjust to the changes, and how you can use the changes, even some nerfs, in your favor!

Chapter Select: 00:03--00:45 BF1 (Temporal Advantage Change)
00:45--01:12 (Quick Sand and Sand Trap Changes)
01:12--04:24 (F212 Changes; how to use the flawless block gap)
04:24--04:51 (Up + 2 Changes)
04:51--06:16 (Raijin Raiden: Your New Worst Matchup)
06:16-- END (Reflections and Conclusions)

More involved doesnt mean better...but enjoy your mk 11 waste of meter, inferior wake ups :coffee:

So if you had a safe special move and a bar, could you essentially wake up with no risk other than maybe whiffing?
That's only in Kenshis case who was top tier anyway, this rule doesnt apply to everyone...like here sektor can Easily get punished or even prevented that's not to say they couldn't implement them in mk 11 if they wanted, nrs just chose not to.
Sektor was one of the really solid, honest characters in mk 9.

You don’t seem to understand how the wakeup system works. If your opponent is wavedashing in to throw you, you’re free to blow them up for it. If they are waiting for your roll frames to end, then you don’t need to be rolling at all, and can just get up and do whatever you want.

U2/U3, delay and roll are meant to be used against people who are playing aggressively/trying to meaty you. If they are playing passively, then you should be taking the initiative. And if they are doing something as wildly unsafe as rolling on your wakeup, then just block and blow them up.

There’s literally an answer for everything on wakeup, it just requires you to think and make smarter choices. Better players use the meter-dependent options sparingly because they only apply to certain situations in the first place.
one of the mistakes i see ppl do often, the second they start eating a combo they break away, this would be fine if it was MK9 or MKX but in this game, you have to choose either take that damage and keep your defensive options and play better at defense, or break now and play better defense without defense options.

But one cannot have both ways, from the ammount of KL matches i have, i noticed mostly every one breaks away from their combos and most of the time those players have terrible defense, and when they keep the bar most of the time they don't know or understand when and how to use it.

one of the mistakes i see ppl do often, the second they start eating a combo they break away, this would be fine if it was MK9 or MKX but in this game, you have to choose either take that damage and keep your defensive options and play better at defense, or break now and play better defense without defense options.

But one cannot have both ways, from the ammount of KL matches i have, i noticed mostly every one breaks away from their combos and most of the time those players have terrible defense, and when they keep the bar most of the time they don't know or understand when and how to use it.
Exactly, great point on BA being flawed. Also, in some cases such as Raiden for example(as one of many examples) if he has you in a combo already hit confirmed into SC and they break away, he gets punished easily because if they do it early they fall to the ground and he's still standing there raving with electricity he may as well say "hey hit me for free"! MK 9 and MK X that would never happen with any move.

Exactly my thoughts when players breakaway from kombos. I think this comes from MKX where you could break on reaction when you hear your opponent punching you.

Have yall ever thought of like.. u know... block on knockdown? Jesus dudes out here wants to wake up for free in every possible situation. “Boo hooo nrs sucks cuz i have 4 different options to wake up and none of em is guaranteed even tho in order to beat one of em u get fucked by the other 3” like fuck off man stop complaining and get fucking gud. Make a read on what ur opponent is going to do and beat him. Is he going to read my roll and throw me? Just delay wake up, jump, u2 or u3. Is he going to reed my jump/u2/u3 and go to offense? Just roll and whiff punish him. Is he gonna wait and do nothing and wait to see what i do? BLOCK, u dont need to wake up every freaking time, block and poke him if he takes too long and go to offense.
Fighting games are made of reads 90% of the time.
If u wanna have a single wake up option that works every time and beats whatever ur opponent is doing than what even is the point on knocking someone down if u are going to have a disadvantage with it?

Exactly, Doda's right. Blocking on wakeup is a good strategy as any. And you can micro block if you're scared of a throw but usually, that's the best thing to do unless you're sure about what they're gonna do, then you can use your wake-up options. Either way, universal U2's and U3's would probably help that whole meta but beggars can't be choosers.

Not to mention that you also gain the biggest advantage when you break when your opponent is about to commit to a part of the combo that recovers more slowly, or part that they are used to autopiloting out.

So if you’re going to break away at all, it’s usually best to intentionally time it for a moment where it’s most disadvantageous for them.

Last edited:

I get this and what crimson says, but here comes the million dollar question is it ok to spend meter to not only escape a combo but initiate your own? Secondly I'm not certain of this is true but I have had instances of not being able to break out of combos exactly when I want to. ( implying specific break out times)
Break away while being freshish personally I find it hard to really defend, as opposed to resetting the neutral with a traditional breaker

I love it how certain people think that NRS improving a basic mechanic has anything to do with being good or bad, lol :rolleyes: Wanting a wake up system to work better is not the same as having free wake ups, people need to learn to read properly for real.

I get this and what crimson says, but here comes the million dollar question is it ok to spend meter to not only escape a combo but initiate your own? Secondly I'm not certain of this is true but I have had instances of not being able to break out of combos exactly when I want to. ( implying specific break out times)
Break away while being freshish personally I find it hard to really defend, as opposed to resetting the neutral with a traditional breaker
Let's also not forget that there are those unbreakable combos, why this is even a thing IDK but you know the shills will somehow defend this shit as well.

I love it how certain people think that NRS improving a basic mechanic has anything to do with being good or bad, lol :rolleyes: Wanting a wake up system to work better is not the same as having free wake ups, people need to learn to read properly for real.

Let's also not forget that there are those unbreakable combos, why this is even a thing IDK but you know the shills will somehow defend this shit as well.
I think the unbreakable stuff is fine for the most part. Its annoying yeah but where it is at least makes sense. I would love to be able to get out of at least 1 kollect combo but whatever.
I get why people defend the wake system so hard, it's in some ways better some ways worse all on all it's a preaty middle of the road change just in my opinion.I dont think anyone who got shalacked before isnt gettin shalacked now.

I think the unbreakable stuff is fine for the most part. Its annoying yeah but where it is at least makes sense. I would love to be able to get out of at least 1 kollect combo but whatever.
I get why people defend the wake system so hard, it's in some ways better some ways worse all on all it's a preaty middle of the road change just in my opinion.I dont think anyone who got shalacked before isnt gettin shalacked now.
Yeah I hear ya, see that I can respect but you know there's people like you and then there's the anti MK 9ers on here so whenever anyone dare likes a mechanic in that game or that game period, apparently you're crazy lol. That's TYM for ya though. It's ok at best imo but to each his own in MK 11, the unbreakable combos though I think should be fixed. Reason why is if you're in a tight match and that makes all the difference, then what's the point of the break away if it won't work on certain combos? know what I mean? I just think it's a fair question tbh. I mean imagine watching someone lose a tournament because of that, to me as a player I'd be pissed. As a viewer It would leave a bad taste in my mouth to see someone win like that. This is just my opinion of course, you don't have to agree.

Not to mention that you also gain the biggest advantage when you break when your opponent is about to commit to a part of the combo that recovers more slowly, or part that they are used to autopiloting out.

So if you’re going to break away at all, it’s usually best to intentionally time it for a moment where it’s most disadvantageous for them.
very true, at least on KL most ppl don't do that, they just escape the damage and end on a bad situation

Exactly, and it's kinda funny that it also comes with its own mind game. Will they know I have meter and use it, so will they just uppercut? If you read that, then you can just keep your meter. Or you can wait until they commit to a string and punish them.

I like the way it is, I just hate it that you're right in their face when you break cause sometimes they stop the string and they still have the advantage even if you spent meter to get out of the combo.

Let's play a little game:

Grounded/Or In the Air
Startup 23
Recovery 15

Grounded Only
Startup 12
Recovery 20

Grounded Only
Startup 20
Recovery 31

Above is a list of the teleports (that are not combo starters like scorpion's) in the game that have a "far" teleport option.

Looking at the frames on startup, recovery, and the ability to be used grounded or in the air... which ones should cost 2 defensive bars?

Also doesn't include Kollector's cause fuck Kollector.

Let's play a little game:

Grounded/Or In the Air
Startup 23
Recovery 15

Grounded Only
Startup 12
Recovery 20

Grounded Only
Startup 20
Recovery 31

Above is a list of the teleports (that are not combo starter's like scorpion's) in the game that have a "far" teleport option.

Looking at the frames on startup, recovery, and the ability to be used grounded or in the air... which ones should cost 2 defensive bars?

Also doesn't include Kollector's cause fuck Kollector.
the grounded only(20 31)....DUH

Jk Jk
23-15