What's new

Opinions on December 21, 2012

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
This topic makes me feel like an idiot every time it's brought up, only because I ever let it bother me.

Unless the Mayans were psychic enough to predict the rise of Caesar and the invention of the leap year, the day that their interpretations or calculations were created for went by July of last year.
The extra days completely threw off the cycle, and the day that would've otherwise stood as December 21'st, 2012 is gone.

That being said, IF said Mayans WERE in some manner or another able to plan for the leap year (for all the astronomical prowess they were said to have had, it's not impossible to theorize they would've seen the extra change in the planet's rotation and counted it in), then it's going to make for a very interesting day.

I'm not worried about the end of the world.
I'm worried about the impending actions of the widespread crazies who ARE planning for it.
^^ Agreed, too many holes in the theory. And yea the crazies worry me too.

I've survived Y2K, SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, and countless other Apocalypses that I don't even remember that have all supposed to have happened in the 20th and 21st entries. What'cha got, Myans?

Tim Static

Adminerator
This topic makes me feel like an idiot every time it's brought up, only because I ever let it bother me.

Unless the Mayans were psychic enough to predict the rise of Caesar and the invention of the leap year, the day that their interpretations or calculations were created for went by July of last year.
The extra days completely threw off the cycle, and the day that would've otherwise stood as December 21'st, 2012 is gone.

That being said, IF said Mayans WERE in some manner or another able to plan for the leap year (for all the astronomical prowess they were said to have had, it's not impossible to theorize they would've seen the extra change in the planet's rotation and counted it in), then it's going to make for a very interesting day.

I'm not worried about the end of the world.
I'm worried about the impending actions of the widespread crazies who ARE planning for it.
yup:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
That's the picture I was looking for...I saw it on Facebook earlier this year and wanted to X-Ray myself.
At the risk of sounding silly, I was always greatly concerned with this particular conspiracy theory, and yet with all of my concern, I never once thought to take those extra days into account.

-_-; <-------- Not bright.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
This is just the next in a long line of doomsday prophecies that will not happen. Man is obsessed with his own demise due to some want for all this to be permanent.

Tim Static

Adminerator
That's the picture I was looking for...I saw it on Facebook earlier this year and wanted to X-Ray myself.
At the risk of sounding silly, I was always greatly concerned with this particular conspiracy theory, and yet with all of my concern, I never once thought to take those extra days into account.

-_-; <-------- Not bright.
haha its all good. i saved the pic from FB too :p

But doomsday is coming. It could happen in 2029 when a huge asteroid called Apophis will have a near Earth fly-by (about 3% chance to impact Earth) but if the rock hits a certain pocket of space, it could return for a very more probable impact in 2036. If this asteroid hits, earth, its GOODBYE time, fyi.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
haha its all good. i saved the pic from FB too :p

But doomsday is coming. It could happen in 2029 when a huge asteroid called Apophis will have a near Earth fly-by (about 3% chance to impact Earth) but if the rock hits a certain pocket of space, it could return for a very more probable impact in 2036. If this asteroid hits, earth, its GOODBYE time, fyi.
Someone call Bruce Willis, he'll take care of it.

GhosT

Noob
The world will not end. Maybe humanity .and living organisms. But the planet would be here. It would take far more to destroy earth than a asteroid or even a comet.

To turn earth into space dust it would literally take a collision with an object of near equal size to earth. This is not impossible. But to put an exact date on it is, however impossible.

Mayan hype is for loons imo. By Mayan hype I mean believing its the end of the world. The whole thing is sort of interesting. But if they were so smart to know the end of time date, they would of easily been able to depict their own demise ahead of time.

I for one agree with the idea that the supposed end of the world Mayan date is nothing more than when their calendar ended.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk

Tim Static

Adminerator
The world will not end. Maybe humanity .and living organisms. But the planet would be here. It would take far more to destroy earth than a asteroid or even a comet.

To turn earth into space dust it would literally take a collision with an object of near equal size to earth. This is not impossible. But to put an exact date on it is, however impossible.

Mayan hype is for loons imo. By Mayan hype I mean believing its the end of the world. The whole thing is sort of interesting. But if they were so smart to know the end of time date, they would of easily been able to depict their own demise ahead of time.

I for one agree with the idea that the supposed end of the world Mayan date is nothing more than when their calendar ended.
An asteroid or comet, just only about 3 miles wide could destroy all life on earth if it were to impact the earth. it wouldnt take much. Sure it wouldnt turn the Earth into pieces like the Death Star to Alderaan, but if it ends all life on Earth, what would it matter?

But you can put money on the fact that another Earth impact will happen. When? who knows, but as time goes on, the odds are not in our favor.

But even then, if the Earth and the human race avoid extinction from an Earth impact, in about 5-7 billion years, when the die begins its dying process, and turns into a red giant, it will swell out all the way to or very close to Earth orbit, destroying Mercury & Venus in the process, and if not destroying Earth, it will be turned into a hot, sphere of molten lava.

Nothing lasts forever.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
You guys have it all wrong!

According to Assassin's Creed "The ones who came before" tried to save the world and failed WE WILL ALL DIE UNLESS WE LOOK FOR THE APPLE OF EDEN AND KILL THE TEMPLARS!!!11oneshift+one

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I read about this. If it truly does come to pass, we should have a huge MK .....*thinks for a moment*.....

a huge MK 14 tournament, to decide the final MK champion before we all make like Chewbacca in the Star Wars Expanded Universe books.

(SPOILER ALERT: The dude has a giant moon fall on him.)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
An asteroid or comet, just only about 3 miles wide could destroy all life on earth if it were to impact the earth. it wouldnt take much. Sure it wouldnt turn the Earth into pieces like the Death Star to Alderaan, but if it ends all life on Earth, what would it matter?

But you can put money on the fact that another Earth impact will happen. When? who knows, but as time goes on, the odds are not in our favor.
We used to talk a lot about it in Astronomy.
Of all my apocalyptic worries, this is what gives me greatest cause for concern.
Because there won't be a damn thing we can do about it, Bruce Wills and Michael Clarke Duncan or not.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
i think the way we technologically evolved the last 100year, i dont think it will be that big of a problem to find another earth to live on.But that being said, the way we are doing now with overpopulation and stuff, it wont take 5-7 billion years to get the earth destroyed.

GhosT

Noob

But even then, if the Earth and the human race avoid extinction from an Earth impact, in about 5-7 billion years, when the die begins its dying process, and turns into a red giant, it will swell out all the way to or very close to Earth orbit, destroying Mercury & Venus in the process, and if not destroying Earth, it will be turned into a hot, sphere of molten lava.

Nothing lasts forever.
It matters because a 3 mile rock doesn't kill all living things. More than likely all large living things. Astronomers tend to agree the rock believed to kill dinosaurs some 270 million years ago was give or take 7 miles wide.

But mankind still found a way. But like you said another impact is a sure thing. Sadly I think mankind has a better chance of killing ourselves off via weapons of mass destruction than having life snuffed out by a frozen rock.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk