What's new

Question Online?

LRK128

TEST - YOU'RE WHITE!
I've recently read several things here that basically say playing online will make you suck or something. I don't quite fully understand what they mean by that, and it concerns me because i've played a lot of matches online and want to start playing in offline tournaments.

As I understand there are two things which make online bad:
-You do not play your best online
-Lag

The first reason I get, and when online matches lag i've always just finished out the match and then left my laggy opponent. It hasn't really affected my execution or speed in matches that don't lag.

As I said, i am just concerned because some posts have basically said online is useless and that's all i've done. Are there any reasons i'm missing to why online is really that bad?

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
Online isn't an awful training ground. It's actually a good training ground, assuming you're on a good connection. But that's all it is, you shouldn't measure yourself competitively based on how well you do online, because many things are harder to do online (like whiff punishing), while it is easy offline. Keep playing online, but be prepared to make adjustments when you do go to your first offline tournament.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Problem with offline is the fact that things come out 3 seconds later.
You can't move there, you can't punish the other person for moving, you can't anti air properly, you can't punish very negative stuff at all.

As long as you understand the issues that are happening like the fact that a lot of unsafe stuff is not being punished and you can't really control the space, if you know your frame data, then you'll be fine.

And people talk trash about online warriors because they thrive on ignorance and abusing shit that only works online. The level of gameplay that happens offline is way different. Sure, online is a valid training tool but nothing more.

OG Mannimal

Ok. Any specific adjustments?
The timing on everything is completely different. It's not like it is in training room, the monitors used at tournaments are what causes the timing differential.

Mixups that may work online likely won't work offline. For example, AMs b12 and b2 online.

Also AMs poking after a blocked b12 works fine online, but offline it won't, not only because you can poke back before he can, but the level of play offline is much higher

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Also AMs poking after a blocked b12 works fine online, but offline it won't, not only because you can poke back before he can, but the level of play offline is much higher
But explain why lol
Blocked B12 is -6. Aquaman's poke (d1) is 6 frames of start up. Meaning there's a 12 frame gap in between. If your opponent does anything that's 11 frames or faster, it'll beat Aquaman's D1. 12 frames will make it trade. If they do something 13 frames or slower, Aquaman will win the trade. Online, you'll block Aquaman's b12, proceed to punish, but then find out your 11 frame or faster normal came out late, and Aquaman will beat you, even though you know he shouldn't. That's why no one respects online gameplay lol

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
But explain why lol
Blocked B12 is -6. Aquaman's poke (d1) is 6 frames of start up. Meaning there's a 12 frame gap in between. If your opponent does anything that's 11 frames or faster, it'll beat Aquaman's D1. 12 frames will make it trade. If they do something 13 frames or slower, Aquaman will win the trade. Online, you'll block Aquaman's b12, proceed to punish, but then find out your 11 frame or faster normal came out late, and Aquaman will beat you, even though you know he shouldn't. That's why no one respects online gameplay lol
Coaster laying dat science yo daaayuum

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Imo I'll argue hard that Raven/DS and Raven/Batgirl is 5/5.

Online they're 3/7.

As others have said online is fun to play and practice, but it isn't the same at all offline, mainly due to being unable to react at your normal speeds.

OG Mannimal

Imo I'll argue hard that Raven/DS and Raven/Batgirl is 5/5.

Online they're 3/7.

As others have said online is fun to play and practice, but it isn't the same at all offline, mainly due to being unable to react at your normal speeds.
It's pretty much agreed upon that Raven loses to DS 4-6 now I think

E

Eldriken

Playing online will make you suck? Uh, no. Don't listen to that nonsense. That only applies if you're not a good player to begin with and are unwilling to/incapable of adapting offline.

I'm an online warrior and did relatively well at my first tournament, as have others.

But explain why lol
Oh. I thought that was a frame trap lol

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Alright, so tell me the best things which i can abuse online
Doomsday
@Eldriken :joker:

Lmfao. His doomsday is legit though. Just super frustrating.
All bullshit aside though, my personal opinion is that online is fun and great, but it just doesn't compare to offline because of the delays. I'm far from the best player, but Its things that people get away with online that would NEVER happen offline. To the point where I just have to put the controller down sometimes and say fuck it. lol.

mighty_honour_korea

HYO-OO *nut punch*
You can play by the frame data online, people just don't. Don't play games against shitters who abuse lag and it won't affect the way you play.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
^^ I disagree. The lag has a HUGE effect even against good players with "minimal" lag.

For example, I can punish Batgirl's teleport on block with a F222 combo for 40% literally 10/10 offline. Online however I may punish it 6/10 times. Online the delay sometimes makes it come out too late and she blocks it, so instead of me taking 40% we end up standing directly in front of each other.

I'd say that's a pretty significant difference in the game.

^^ I disagree. The lag has a HUGE effect even against good players with "minimal" lag.

For example, I can punish Batgirl's teleport on block with a F222 combo for 40% literally 10/10 offline. Online however I may punish it 6/10 times. Online the delay sometimes makes it come out too late and she blocks it, so instead of me taking 40% we end up standing directly in front of each other.

I'd say that's a pretty significant difference in the game.
To add on to lag being a huge problem, yesterday I was playing a lex player who got away abusing online. The guy does a point blank Corp Charge, and I couldn't punish with Staff NW Standing 1. The move is so negative and full combo punishable. That same guy also did 2 corp charges in a row.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
To add on to lag being a huge problem, yesterday I was playing a lex player who got away abusing online. The guy does a point blank Corp Charge, and I couldn't punish with Staff NW Standing 1. The move is so negative and full combo punishable. That same guy also did 2 corp charges in a row.
Wow lol. Perfect example. Things like this is why online can be fun and even competitive, but it can never be forgotten that it's still online play.

Unless of course NRS gets that Tekken netcode for MKX. :DOGE

4x4lo8o

Noob
I don't play online much, but I'm pretty sure Batman's j2 is unblockable online. Offline it's slightly easier to block