What's new

Online play is not as good as we're lead to believe

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
MK11 was touted to have the best online of a major fighting game ever. During the beta and stress tests, it felt great. Due to lower stress load and no having a practice mode, no one really knew what small amounts of lag felt like. There has been a recent phenomenon of fighting games having intentional lag to make it their online and offline gameplay similar. See SFV and Tekken. MK11 on ps4 has been found to have ~4 frames of lag. MK11 had a great marketing strategy of making seem to have the best online but its really no different from Ij2. Juggles have very small consistencies or different timings online,special cancelling timing is affected, etc

and most of all
D1 wars still exist !!! why why why

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
I don't think this is an online thing.. more of how the engine works. I think this is actually a big thing too, tbf it is VERY early into the games release, lotta MK veterans will notice, though.
Also never even played Injustice but I can tell there's recycled elements from it, do correct me if I'm wrong.

The game plays great, but the "ease of (MK) play" is a bit lacking... Blockstun has always been hugely unpopular in the series, and it's the worst in this game, then there's backwards recovery on some of these pokes, which doesn't allow players to hitconfirm them.. giving way to mashers.. coupled with a lot of (random) matchmaking with 100+ ms players (cross-region play is cool and all.. but I guarantee there's no competitve player taking these games serious, at least I hope so).. No buffering from what I can tell and combos in general have a higher learning curve, I personally dislike this for both competitive or casual play reasons.. but it's whatever, probably just subjective.

There's more small elements like this and there's elements where the gameplay is much better (movement, defense, more neutral) ... and not to mention this is the best release for MK, no broken resets, no (absolutely) ridiculous offensive situations, extremely unfavorable matchups or toolkits, banworthy glitches etc etc... All things considered, it is a big improvement and deserving of a bit of patience... Nothing in this game is perfect so far, but it has the potential imo.