What's new

Online improvements and features you would like to see for MK10

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Injustice's online modes were a slight improvement from MK9, but they were still pretty barebones.

Ok lets get the obvious one out of the way first, because it's kind of implied already, but better netcode. What everyone wants is GGPO style rollback netcode, it's usually only used for old ports of 2D games, but recently SFxT has used something similar, and the upcoming Killing Instinct is also using rollback netcode. So maybe that's a thing NRS can look into.

Ranked Matches

I think NRS should follow the way Tekken does it, to avoid counter picking you simply choose your character before you enter the search, then when you find someone, it just goes straight to the fight. And it also drops you into training mode well it searches for opponents. It is fantastic.

They also need to add actual search parameters, by locations, P1/P2, how many rounds, things like that.

Player Match

For starters remove having any kind of win/loss statistics, don't even keep them, have no way for anyone to ever be able to check it, yourself included. All it does is encourages people to run when they start losing.

Need an EXP multiplier for fighting the same person over and over again, it keeps increasing the more matches you play, win or lose it doesn't matter, just reward players for playing longer sets. This also means they need to make EXP more worthwhile in general though, maybe have like 5 times as many background/player icon type stuff.

King of the Hill

There needs to be some kind of challenge pop up when its your turn, if you do not hit a button with in 5 seconds, it skips your turn. I swear to god, every time I enter PJS winning, its always someone beating up on Joker. But honestly, this was a huge problem for MK9 as well, trying to run online tournaments was a nightmare, I can't believe NRS didn't do something to fix this, people complained like crazy.

Lobbies

When creating a lobby, it gives you a huge list of options that includes all the kombat kodes and other things like rounds. So if I could create a lobby where every match lasted 4 rounds, with no blood, armless kombat, and psycho kombat, every match started there would follow those rules.

Have a built in spectator mode, so when clicking on a player, if they are already in a match, you could choose to spectate them, maybe have a max of 4 spots for this.

Maybe add in test your luck and competitive test your might as weird things you could challenge people too I guess. Along with keeping survivor from Injustice, and training mode obviously.

Online replays

Just like SF4, saves matches, you can watch them later, or upload them for other people to see, maybe even give an option to upload them directly to youtube. Maybe you could have some of your favorite matches saved to your profile and when people are looking at it, they can choose to DL the videos from there.

Most of these are just very obvious things other games already do, but I am making this just to have a conversation about it, and maybe remind NRS these are things we want.

Outside of this stuff, what kind of features would you guys like to see NRS implement for MK10?

zaf

professor
Whatever they did to make MK9 run smoothly on PC, just needs to happen on console.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
#1 Spectator Mode.

This is an absolute must at this point. With streaming capabilities being added to the next generation of console systems, and the popularity of Twitch at an all time high, it's imperative for streamers, commentators and broadcasters to be able to sit in a lobby and share the experience with others, without having to play themselves.

Something as simple as allowing players to be skipped in KotH would be enough. It won't need to be a complex solution with a ton of code, but it'd be an enormous help.

Also, PJS_Winning, who has streamed more Injustice than anyone else on the internet, would be thankful for it :)

trufenix

bye felicia
Most of it is obvious and succinct, your player match suggestions are useless though. Removing record info will not fix rage quits and an exp buff for long sets is just an exploit to an already inefficient ++dicksize system.

Smash (ironically) and this (to a lesser degree) are the only game that handles ranking / exp right in a fighting game context, but they lack the commitment to do it properly.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
LOL

prepare for online fighters to be almost impossible.

Especially if 4 of the 6 guys in your room are all streaming while playing on their 2mb up/down connection.

RIP online fighting games.

Online replays

Just like SF4, saves matches, you can watch them later, or upload them for other people to see, maybe even give an option to upload them directly to youtube. Maybe you could have some of your favorite matches saved to your profile and when people are looking at it, they can choose to DL the videos from there.
Both XboxOne and PS4 will have built in DVRs which will allow us to record, edit and upload gameplay to twitch or youtube.

But that doesn't guarantee a replay channel feature. In fact it could hurt the chances of seeing it in the future. Because lazy devs will just let the DVR be your replay channel and won't bother programming something separate.

That's unfortunate because storing 200 matches worth of inputs is more practical than storing 5 hi-def videos.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Most of it is obvious and succinct, your player match suggestions are useless though. Removing record info will not fix rage quits and an exp buff for long sets is just an exploit to an already inefficient ++dicksize system.

Smash (ironically) and this (to a lesser degree) are the only game that handles ranking / exp right in a fighting game context, but they lack the commitment to do it properly.

No it won't fix the problem, people are complete fucking douchebags, and will always be that way.
Still, any little bit helps, and there is no reason to show w/l ratio for a casual environment like player match.

How does Smash handle it? It's been a long while since I played any of them. All I remember is Brawl's perplexing insane online community. The games netcode was so bad, it drove them all crazy.

I think you covered it all. I would like to see that feature thats in sf4 where you can play arcade mode while waiting for someone to challenge you.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
When are FG's going to come up with an algorithm to determine the best players?

Wins and losses matter... but the quality of those wins and losses should also be taken into account.

There have to be algorithms out there that can determine quality of opponent over a long period of time.

ryublaze

Noob
W/L Records
I think W/L records should stay. I want to play people around my skill level, or people who are better or have more experience than me They could show people's rank on their records.

Levels/Ranks
I don't mind levels being shown on records, but I'd rather see a person's rank (I'm not exactly sure how Injustice's ranking system works) or some other indicator of how good a player is. The level just shows how much that person plays and not how good he is.

Challenges
Challenges are fun, but I personally don't see much point in them. What if you want to play someone and all he wants to do is try doing a certain challenge? We have trophies/achievements for that.

Koins/Unlockables
You should be able to use your Koins that you earn for buying online avatars/backgrounds etc. I felt like there wasn't much to unlock for MK9 online's avatars. They should add DLC character avatars too.

TYM Lobby
They could add a default TYM lobby now that TYM seems like the main website for NRS games. This would make it easier for people in our community to play each other because no one really likes making their own 0TYM rooms. They could also implemenet passwords or private lobbies.

Chatroom
Not exactly sure why they got rid of chat besides the people spamming. They could just set a longer limit to how long you have to wait before sending the next message. The chatroom in the lobbies made clan wars and other group gatherings easier for communication.

KOTH
You should be able to set a limit to how much people can join a KoTH. The host should be able to kick anyone out of the KoTH (private KoTH only). Or they could have a boot system where everyone votes to kick someone out. The chatroom in KoTHs should be at the bottom for convenience. You should also be able to make a KOTH by yourself so you don't have to invite anyone and other people can join.

trufenix

bye felicia
No it won't fix the problem, people are complete fucking douchebags, and will always be that way.
Still, any little bit helps, and there is no reason to show w/l ratio for a casual environment like player match.
I don't see how keeping it hurts player matches. Most player matches are not ft?'s against friends/clanmates, they're just as random as Ranked. W/L's ratios are the only barometer you have for what you're up against.

How does Smash handle it? It's been a long while since I played any of them. All I remember is Brawl's perplexing insane online community. The games netcode was so bad, it drove them all crazy.
online + nintendo = retarded, regardless of game, regardless of platform, no one will ever argue, but the fact that smash (and injustice, though it doesn't count towards rank) provide incentives for performing specific tasks in battle is a way better barometer for fighting games. The antequated fps style model of kill(win) = +, die(loss) = -, does nothing but provide boosters and ragequitters ammunition. SF has been pretending to grade its players for years, but online the only thing that ever matters is how many points you or the guy you beat had prior and who got the w.

Basing your bp/rank/whatever on what you can / can't do in battle rather than just w/l is a way more accurate representation of what you're up against, even if all so and so did was boost. At least then you know he's boosting equitable skills, and not just exploiting a top tier character or an online friendly move. And for the record, I'm not talking about juvenille challenge mode shit like how many times did you block or throw the car or crouch under projectiles. A fighting game could very easily track complex metrics like cross up depth, resets landed, time spent in block stun, combo quality, effective uses of meter, even measuring the amount of "spam".

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
A system like Tekken and SF where ranked matches level you up grades depending on skill levels.

In mk and Injustice the"best" on ranked are just the ones who play the most so it makes the whole system a joke really.

If they did this and took away the win/loss ratio shit itd help determining who is actually good if you could only rank up by beating people your same level or higher and could rank down.

Not foolproof but eh, better than this joke ranked system.