What's new

General/Other Official Critique my Rain

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
My Rain is still a working process. I need some inputs from some good Rain mainers.

Against Sektor
I can spot tons of mistakes lol. Can aynone tell me what should I do when going against a Sektor like this?
You can notice that I dont want him to be in that position where he can zone me well. I keep on rushing and heading next to him.. but in the process I get snuffed with whatever... missiles, flamethrowers, teleport combos. Its annoying lol but I would love to learn how to deal with it.
Any tips?

I am no expert by any means, but here is what I saw.

You had a lot of trouble against full screen missiles. I would have used some more ex teleports to break some of that pressure. Your regular teleports were punished or ineffective due to sektor's fast normals.

You also were really effective when you won the air to air battle but in the second match when you started losing those sektor came back on you. I would stick to regular anti air. A standing 2 dash 4,3, combo of your choice on his jump ins, and geyser kicks on his crossover attempts. It looked like you also spent a lot of meter on ex geyser kicks that really did nothing a regular one would not have done.

Again no expert but that is my take on the matches.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Not bad but one thing you need to do is utilize his RH cancel block strings more, much more. It's Rain's best tool to build meter while putting pressure on your opponent. When you successfully connect a water bubble consider dropping them in front of you and going into a series of block strings instead; when you feel they may jump just release the RH instead of cancelling it.

Or you can just grab them as they try to block the next string.

Also you should learn to do his uppercut combos to maximize his damage, absorbing attacks with EX RH and kicking them is a good idea as well, even better though is absorbing their attack with EX RH and then dash cancelling out of it to perform a full combo on them while they're attacking you; the armor will carry over a bit.

Use 33 more also, it's Rain's fastest 2 hit string and cancel out of it with RH if they block... 33 RH cancel 34 RH cancel 33 RH Cancel 34 RH cancel..

Blerpp.

Marcus

I am no expert by any means, but here is what I saw.

You had a lot of trouble against full screen missiles. I would have used some more ex teleports to break some of that pressure. Your regular teleports were punished or ineffective due to sektor's fast normals.

You also were really effective when you won the air to air battle but in the second match when you started losing those sektor came back on you. I would stick to regular anti air. A standing 2 dash 4,3, combo of your choice on his jump ins, and geyser kicks on his crossover attempts. It looked like you also spent a lot of meter on ex geyser kicks that really did nothing a regular one would not have done.

Again no expert but that is my take on the matches.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it

Full screen missiles.. yes, I hate that! More ex teleports huh? Sounds like a good idea but Im kinda want to save meter on wake up geyser kicks since he goes in for the pressure if ever i go down. Will try your suggestion though.

I think the regular geyser kicks on wake up are snuffed by sektor's low kick that follows a teleport combo, thats why I keep on doing ex geyser kicks on wake up when I feel that he's gonna put in pressure.

Thank you

Not bad but one thing you need to do is utilize his RH cancel block strings more, much more. It's Rain's best tool to build meter while putting pressure on your opponent. When you successfully connect a water bubble consider dropping them in front of you and going into a series of block strings instead; when you feel they may jump just release the RH instead of cancelling it.

Or you can just grab them as they try to block the next string.

Also you should learn to do his uppercut combos to maximize his damage, absorbing attacks with EX RH and kicking them is a good idea as well, even better though is absorbing their attack with EX RH and then dash cancelling out of it to perform a full combo on them while they're attacking you; the armor will carry over a bit.

Use 33 more also, it's Rain's fastest 2 hit string and cancel out of it with RH if they block... 33 RH cancel 34 RH cancel 33 RH Cancel 34 RH cancel..

Blerpp.
Yea. I really need to work more on my RH cancel block strings. I mean I can do it against other characters but when going against Sektor... this red robot kinda scares me.

His uppercut combo I do that on the regular... I just dont know what happened in this match lol I guess I didn't have the chance (or if I did have... I screwed the inputs).

33 cancel to RH.. I really need to work on that one. Thanks. Negative edge always pisses me of when doing 33 RH cancel. Geyser kick pops out of nowhere 70% of the time that I do that.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Marcus

Heres another video for you guys to critique. Ima keep on posting matches where I lost (and some where I won just to make myself look a little good lol)

Cyrax beating my behind

BookBurning

Voidwards
Heres another video for you guys to critique. Ima keep on posting matches where I lost (and some where I won just to make myself look a little good lol)

Cyrax beating my behind

I actually think you did alot better in this video. Really at this point the only thing you can do is improve your reaction speed and execution; and of course your decision making a bit. I still think you need to use block strings more, you're using the roundhouse but you're not cancelling it into other moves or grabs which is something you should really be doing to put pressure on him.

But really that's it. Mostly the real negative thing I'm seeing here is just general decision making, but I'm not sure if it's that or just mis-execution. Also too many geyser kicks, just a small note. Don't gamble on them so much, they are punishable even if this Cyrax isn't punishing them.

Add on: Also reset them with your water bubble. It's okay to just take the guaranteed damage sometimes but utilize it's reset potential. I honestly believe that waterbubble resets is one of Rain's best tools and options.

Add on: Also reset them with your water bubble. It's okay to just take the guaranteed damage sometimes but utilize it's reset potential. I honestly believe that waterbubble resets is one of Rain's best tools and options.
+1 to this. I have made so many comebacks and lopsided wins using this. A lot of times I will just let them drop and time the 4,3 so it looks like it is going to hit in the air but all of a sudden combo counter comes out and I am back at it again. Nothing gets more rage quits then resetting them over again and taking 90% health it want looks like an endless combo. Even against the highest levels of competition a throw is virtually guaranteed.

Marcus

I appreciate the input. I think that loss can be accounted to reaction speed or lack thereof. Notice at the end.. at 4:43 I should've RH cancel instead of throwing the lightning which costed me the game. I thought I got in for a full combo punish not realizing it was blocked. SMH

I agree with the reset. I sometimes try to do resets after the water bubble. What I did on 1:20 is supposed to be a reset to a B21,1+2 combo. Seems liked I just messed up the input or the input glitch or whatever lol.

Heres a video of me with a comeback win. Thanks for the reset.

[video=youtube_share;si7QY5_gmBc]http://youtu.be/si7QY5_gmBc[/video]

Thanks again for the comments guys. Will try to work more on Rain.

Book Burning Gives really good advice, one of the best rain players I've seen, He was able to keep up with my reptile, I was suprised.

I think this will be a Rain critiquing thread in general. So if any of you guys want your Rain critiqued dont be afraid to post up!

For people critiquing dont be a jerk about it. Constructive criticism is one thing, but being an asshole going "durr you suck" will not be tolerated.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Wouldnt mind seeing Book Burning's Rain. :) Any videos out there sir?
There is a really old video of me vs vVvNapalm I can link you, but it's old enough to where my playstyle won't be accurate. Still though it was a good set with Napalm. :)

Edit: Here it is.

This was back before any uppercut combos were discovered or used and before CDjr dominated, about 2 months ago.

My Rain is still a working process. I need some inputs from some good Rain mainers.

Against Sektor
I can spot tons of mistakes lol. Can aynone tell me what should I do when going against a Sektor like this?
You can notice that I dont want him to be in that position where he can zone me well. I keep on rushing and heading next to him.. but in the process I get snuffed with whatever... missiles, flamethrowers, teleport combos. Its annoying lol but I would love to learn how to deal with it.
Any tips?

I play rain as well and what I see here is that you randomly teleport, The only moments I use teleport is when im 80% sure they wont expect it. Next to that most of the time I react teleport on projectiles. A general suggestion would be more dash blocking, especially against sektor where he can catch you with missiles and teleports while youre in the air. and i dont suggest spending meter on ex geyser kick wakeup, just commint to a decision, rain can use that meter for a lot of better things

Marcus

I play rain as well and what I see here is that you randomly teleport, The only moments I use teleport is when im 80% sure they wont expect it. Next to that most of the time I react teleport on projectiles. A general suggestion would be more dash blocking, especially against sektor where he can catch you with missiles and teleports while youre in the air. and i dont suggest spending meter on ex geyser kick wakeup, just commint to a decision, rain can use that meter for a lot of better things
Yea from a lot of playing against Sektor, I learned that dash blocking is the way to go. I spend EX on geyser kicks just to throw off his momentum, A normal geyser kick on wakeup is beaten by a sweep.. everytime. I guess doing wake up attacks and spending meter on it aint such a good decision?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yea from a lot of playing against Sektor, I learned that dash blocking is the way to go. I spend EX on geyser kicks just to throw off his momentum, A normal geyser kick on wakeup is beaten by a sweep.. everytime. I guess doing wake up attacks and spending meter on it aint such a good decision?

Just to note...

react teleporting to projectiles against Kano is a bad idea. A VERY bad idea! hahaha

CD jr

Noob
remember when you knock him down always do b2 1+2 because if he wakes up with ex teleport punch it will whiff causing him to waste a meter.make him know he cant wake up with teleport pumch so the next time you knock him down you cant start your wakeup game

remember when you knock him down always do b2 1+2 because if he wakes up with ex teleport punch it will whiff causing him to waste a meter.make him know he cant wake up with teleport pumch so the next time you knock him down you cant start your wakeup game
If you have really good timing you can even hit Sektor out of his wake-up teleport or flamethrower with b2 1+2.

KingShaz

In the Shadows
From watching both matches I saw that wake ups really killed you. Try crossing up opponents more when they're on the ground, keep the pressure up but also try to guess when a wakeup is coming. That's all I can say.

From watching both matches I saw that wake ups really killed you. Try crossing up opponents more when they're on the ground, keep the pressure up but also try to guess when a wakeup is coming. That's all I can say.
I added more game is that killing me in those match too. Because against Kitana dont know what to do with rain ..

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I'd say that you need to use the enhanced teleport move more. I don't think I saw you use it once. It's a great move for hitting them when they least expect it.