What's new

Off-Topic Discussion for the day: Should jobs that provide full Health benefits have requirements?

So we should reward those who smoke a pack a day and eat 4000 calories the same as the ones who spend 5 days a week at the gym and eat really well and because of that are healthy?

Sounds lazy
Healthcare is not a 'reward' - it's a basic human right. And that right should apply to absolutely everyone, including those who smoke and eat a lot.

See, I think its disgusting that someone who does all the wrong things healthwise (smokes, drinks heavily, eats here) ends up with things that would have been totally preventable, but I then have to help foot their bill to fix the problems they created for themselves by not being responsible.

Where the hell is personal responsibility in all this health reform debate? It seems strangely absent to me.

To answer pigs question, yes, I think a health evaluation should be done and it should have an impact on your premiums, just like if you're a careless driver that increases your premiums too.
The difference is that careless drivers directly endanger other people's lives, whereas, say, eating at McDonalds frequently doesn't.

The thing about smoking and drinking is that they're very addictive - most folks that get addicted want to stop, but struggle to do so. And many people have food addiction too, which is doubly hard to deal with since going 'cold turkey' isn't an option.

Making a cut-and-dry statement that people who 'do all the wrong things healthwise' don't deserve any help on that front is seriously lacking in compassion.

On a more positive side-note, I'm glad that quite a few folks agree with my original post.

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
Healthcare is not a 'reward' - it's a basic human right. And that right should apply to absolutely everyone, including those who smoke and eat a lot.

The difference is that careless drivers directly endanger other people's lives, whereas, say, eating at McDonalds frequently doesn't.

The thing about smoking and drinking is that they're very addictive - most folks that get addicted want to stop, but struggle to do so. And many people have food addiction too, which is doubly hard to deal with since going 'cold turkey' isn't an option.

Making a cut-and-dry statement that people who 'do all the wrong things healthwise' don't deserve any help on that front is seriously lacking in compassion.

On a more positive side-note, I'm glad that quite a few folks agree with my original post.
This guy will never get the point you are trying to make brant. Ohwell, different viewpoints stem from different stimuli, and this seems to be rooted in not wanting to accept people should have a sense of personal accountability.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Not sure where you're going with the safe driving bonus; your rates also typically go up if you have an accident, maybe two if your insurance coverage includes accident forgiveness (which is usually one accident in the span of three years).
State farm offers you a "safe driving bonus check" for not having any incidents. That's a positive incentive to not drive like an asshole.

I don't understand what you don't understand.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@AK Pig
As a person who "developed" type 2 diabetes, all I can say from a personal is... That I currently do NOT have health insurance and it's slowly killing me not being able to see a doctor to help manage this damn condition. I have developed Sever Diabetic Nero-pithy in my feet making wearing shoes and even walking painful. I didn't ask to be a diabetic nor did I want to be one it just happened.

As mentioned before, I think the FDA has a responsibility to the American people to restrict the use of pure sugars used to make food taste better and boost sales. People who develop this condition have no idea that the food they love so much causes it, and even if they do know people have become so apathetic towards sugar they seem to think it will never happen to them until it's to late. To add a "Requirement" to be met to be able to gain or maintain health insurance is insane! What about people like myself? I am NOT morbidly obese I look like a normal person, but the affliction still screws me. So if I ever am able to afford health care how can I go to a gym and work out with the pain to be able to get health care to get prescriptions to manage my pain and condition?

Implementing the requirement idea would bring thousands of people to the disability office costing even more on government healthcare. Sorry PIG but it just wont work...
I'm sympathetic to your situation however I don't believe you read my post where pre existing conditions wouldn't require this

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I have a question

Recently there was a new tax placed on cigarets to incentivize people not to smoke. What ever happened with that? Any smokers care to comment?
I don't smoke, but all my siblings do, and we lived in a superb of Chicago. The county we lived in raised the price of cigarettes from like
$4-$5 a pack to something like $8+ a pack. You know what they started doing? Driving to the next county over to buy their cigs. (we had started moving to other areas not in that county so they weren't trips specific to picking up cigarettes. A lot of times they'd just be going to someone else's house and stopped and grabbed a pack on their way there or back.)

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It should be totally up to the employer if they want to do something like that. I don't think people would like it but in this job market they could probably get away with it.

Pig Of The Hut

I'm sorry

I just disagree w you

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Do I believe that physical assessments and reports should be sent to the employers? Yes I do. But only medical diagnoses that can be mitigated by the person. Examples are smoking and drinking. You make a conscious choice to destroy your body by doing those things - aka you should have to pay a higher premium and spend more for the same coverage than a person with say diabetes. Diabetes isn't something you elect to have or not have.

What I basically mean is the people who knowingly cost the companies money based on their own selfish habits should have to pay more.
I would argue that diabetes is something that you can elect to have or not have

If you eat healthy for the most part and splurge in moderation, along with regular exercise, you'll in most cases avoid diabetes. If you eat junk constantly and don't exercise at all, you're going down the road to diabetes (type 2 of course)

In the same way that drinking copiously will result in a shot liver or smoking excessively will give you lung cancer, eating junk food in too much of an excess without an active lifestyle will give you diabetes

my opinion

Pig Of The Hut

But then the governments out money. Either way it costs someone and let's be serious, government doesn't want America to be healthy. They'd lose out on all the money from pharmaceuticals
Well in my original posts I'm exploring ideas and neither idea anyone comes up w will fix the government but I agree w what you're saying but I don't mind trying one step at a time

I honestly don't know how a person can let themselves go that bad, to the point of having health issues that can be prevented. I think it's a decent idea, but it should be only applicable to people with clear health issues and not chronic issues that cannot be controlled. I'd be pissed if I didn't get full health coverage for something I cannot control.

Like to people who eat like shit 24/7, why do you do it? You can cook up something decent and I am not condoning eating fast food, but if all you're doing is just eating out 24/7 and forzen foods, like why?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
State farm offers you a "safe driving bonus check" for not having any incidents. That's a positive incentive to not drive like an asshole.

I don't understand what you don't understand.
I agree with KT here. You can give workers a bonus if they use your healthy cafeteria and/or gym, and/or you could give them a bonus for passing a physical that says they are in tip-top shape.

This way no one is denied health insurance but they also have an incentive to live a healthier lifestyle. And if what they say about health affecting productivity is true, then the increased efficiency due to the overall health of the employees will make up for the bonuses the company might have to pay.

I disagree and agree

You should be knowledgable about what u eat

I also feel it should be law for every item at every restaurant to have full diet content available on a sheet
I just feel like people shouldn't be served xxxl portions of food for fairly low prices while people be starving in other parts of the world. These portions they serve in some of these restaurants just can't be healthy.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
@pig an old proverb that I think reflects your point pretty well

"He who takes medicine but neglects his diet wastes the skill of his doctors."

Pig Of The Hut

I just feel like people shouldn't be served xxxl portions of food for fairly low prices while people be starving in other parts of the world. These portions they serve in some of these restaurants just can't be healthy.
Well I agree w this as well but it kind of a completely different topic

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
But then the governments out money. Either way it costs someone and let's be serious, government doesn't want America to be healthy. They'd lose out on all the money from pharmaceuticals
its not only pharmaceuticals, its the entire health care organization. i handle claims everyday and the price insurance companies pay everyday is astronomical. no wonder the premiums are so high, oxaliplatin is a drug used in chemo therapy, one .5g dose cost $75,000............... and the cost to administer the drug? $1700...... it all starts at the pharmaceutical though so i agree, the cost to pay all the doctors that put in 12 years of school to become one, and the equipment which is all over priced, maintenance to keep the hospital sterile and within regulations, the cost of drugs, procedures and the sort is all so damn high, its almost a necessity. i believe that one should not have to have insurance, but its impossible because the cost of every thing is so damn high everyone but a few NEEDS to have insurances or they won't be able pay it all. the american health industry is the biggest, most well organize racket in human history.

its not only pharmaceuticals, its the entire health care organization. i handle claims everyday and the price insurance companies pay everyday is astronomical. no wonder the premiums are so high, oxaliplatin is a drug used in chemo therapy, one .5g dose cost $75,000............... and the cost to administer the drug? $1700...... it all starts at the pharmaceutical though so i agree, the cost to pay all the doctors that put in 12 years of school to become one, and the equipment which is all over priced, maintenance to keep the hospital sterile and within regulations, the cost of drugs, procedures and the sort is all so damn high, its almost a necessity. i believe that one should not have to have insurance, but its impossible because the cost of every thing is so damn high everyone but a few NEEDS to have insurances or they won't be able pay it all. the american health industry is the biggest, most well organize racket in human history.
You think they are making people unhealthy on purpose?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
You people realize that diabetes isn't always controllable right?

It also happens to be one of the leading preventable chronic health issues in the United States.... But that doesn't mean that every person who has diabetes is a fat ass slob.

Some people posting in this thread should just stop posting in this thread.