What's new

Guide - Tigrar Fury "No Longer A Stripped Commoner!"Espio's Tigrar Fury Guide Version 5.0

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I disagree with the idea that fast pokes and a single fast normal make a character "not slow"; Goro basically needs to be touching you to make use of any of his pokes or b1, and in the context of the rest of the kast where everyone and their mom has 10 frame full screen advancing normals with no gaps into either 50/50s or plus frames or both, Goro is lacking in comparison.

I also think Goro lacks decent "down the road" options for when people know how to get out of his shenanigans. Once you know your opponent will interrupt you, what is your counter to it? Is there anything reliable? Anything that doesn't require a risk? Why are we doing so much worrying when it's our turn to pressure? These types of problems are the fundamental issues with the kharacter.

This a great "lay of the land" guide but I feel it is too optimistic in terms of Goro's viability.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I disagree with the idea that fast pokes and a single fast normal make a character "not slow"; Goro basically needs to be touching you to make use of any of his pokes or b1, and in the context of the rest of the kast where everyone and their mom has 10 frame full screen advancing normals with no gaps into either 50/50s or plus frames or both, Goro is lacking in comparison.

You do know that "speed" and "range" are entirely different things right?

What you said is the equivalent of saying:

"Dhalsim isn't slow, most of his pokes reach half screen."

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.

You do know that "speed" and "range" are entirely different things right?

What you said is the equivalent of saying:

"Dhalsim isn't slow, most of his pokes reach half screen."
Espio argued that he's not slow because his close range normals are fast. I argued that he is slow because everything else he has that's useful is slow as shit. Don't argue with me if you can't understand what I'm saying, idiot.

Espio

Kokomo

I also think Goro lacks decent "down the road" options for when people know how to get out of his shenanigans. Once you know your opponent will interrupt you, what is your counter to it? Is there anything reliable? Anything that doesn't require a risk? Why are we doing so much worrying when it's our turn to pressure? These types of problems are the fundamental issues with the kharacter.

This a great "lay of the land" guide but I feel it is too optimistic in terms of Goro's viability.

You're welcome to disagree, but regardless, it doesn't change the reality of the frames, which are independent of how I or anyone else feel about him as a character. When you have people parading around saying "he's so slow, he cannot get out of pressure or apply pressure", this is what we call being disingenuous and dishonest. If you cannot get out of pressure or reverse pressure and start your own with a 6 frame down 1 or down 3, one of which is so plus that you get a free throw, blockstring or other mix up for example. Then there's a two hit, safe advancing armor special that launches for full combo. Those three things alone make it that if you're having problems in that area, it's not Goro or the game, it's you.

Who has low pokes that don't require the opponent to be relatively close to hit someone with? I would like a full list that encompasses more than one or two exceptions.

Goro's has decent speed ranged normals like forward 3, which is a 16 frames footise normal that leads to over 30%. It gets you into striking distance to harass people with things like back 1 and his fast low pokes including down 4, which I didn't mention in my reply to you yet, but is superb for speed at 9 frames and guarantees another forward 3 on hit to keep harassing people.

13 frame low with decent range, 16 frame advancing mid with really good range, back 1, 9 frame launcher and plus frames, superb low poke combination for speed, frames and advantage. You don't need a million fast normals to not be slow. Most characters rely on only a couple normals and strings anyway and Goro is no different.

I don't have any idea what you mean when you say once your opponent interrupts you, what your counter is? It's not like we don't have armor out the ass, lots of plus frame normals, great pokes or anything to check people from interrupting us. And most of his stuff doesn't have gaps so I also really don't get what you're trying to get at honestly.

We're playing a fighting game, any character that never has to take a risk to keep their game going is probably poorly designed or too good. When I play Kitana, Cage, Tanya or Sonya there was risk, nothing is 100% guaranteed so that's kind of a well, this is what we signed up for.

I worry when it's my turn to pressure with anyone I play because pressure shouldn't be guaranteed for free with no thought process behind it. If you're just mindlessly pressuring and don't have to fear anything from your opponent making a read and retaliating, there's probably something wrong with the character design.

Unless you could be more specific, I'm not seeing what the issue is you're arguing.

I have not argued his viability, just like I wouldn't argue most character's viability yet. I stuck to objective and candid analysis over anything else because that's what matters not people upplaying or downplaying cause they can.

I'm open to being wrong, but nothing thus far has been presented to assert in a credible way that I am incorrect about any of my Goro positive or negative points.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Espio argued that he's not slow because his close range normals are fast. I argued that he is slow because everything else he has that's useful is slow as shit. Don't argue with me if you can't understand what I'm saying, idiot.[/QUOTE]

What you're saying is still wrong. Even if the best tool(s) on a character is their slowest move it doesn't discount the speed of their other options. Whether or not the range on the other moves is bad is irrelevant to their speed, this also goes for usefulness. Goro's overall attack speed is average at worst.

If your argument was "he's bad" because of the disparity in speed on some of his attacks instead of "he's slow" your point would make sense.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Dude you should seriously do more write ups. Whatever variations you are most familiar with, I'll read it even if I don't play the character.

This taught me some stuff about Goro that I didn't know, like how great his pokes are and how he can use them to begin pressure so effectively, especially that d3. I'm going to start playing him.

Espio

Kokomo
Dude you should seriously do more write ups. Whatever variations you are most familiar with, I'll read it even if I don't play the character.

This taught me some stuff about Goro that I didn't know, like how great his pokes are and how he can use them to begin pressure so effectively, especially that d3. I'm going to start playing him.
Thanks so much, it's definitely a possibility for the future. Assassin Kitana is probably the next one I'll be on top of next month quite possibly. I only make exhaustive guides and analysis like this when I've played a character extensively so those are the only two I could genuinely make with confidence.

My main goal with any guide is to entertain, inform and inspire. Characters like Goro have flaws, but a lot of the proclaimed flaws are either exaggerated or flat out incorrect.

If you need any ideas or advice, let me know!

You should do other low tier variations like Hi-Tech Jacqui, Necromancer Shinnok, Assassin/Mournful Kitana and Ancestral Kung Lao

I don't know anything about Jacqui, Shinnok, or Kung Jin. I don't like any of those characters nor do I have the time nor interest in putting the amount of time I put into this guide for them. I don't explore characters cause they're considered not good, I merely explore characters cause I like them and happen to believe in the worth of them. For example, I don't have any intention in putting in any time for Dragon Fangs Goro guide wise or otherwise. I need lots of knowledge of a character to make a guide, I don't like talking from a naive or lacking perspective so even if I like a character like Sonya or Cage, I still wouldn't make one out of respect for my lack of true understanding.

Assassin Kitana I actually use and like so she's a possibility, but we'll see.

Mournful Kitana is definitely not a low tier variation for Kitana. Assassin isn't either, it's just outclassed by Royal Storm, but it's a decent one. Tigrar Fury is definitely not and never will be Goro's low tier variation unless the others get buffed beyond belief and it gets ignored, which I do not see happening.

Last edited:
I think this is my favorite guide on this site. Espio, you did it again and it's always with quality. Now I'm interested in this character now.

You should do other low tier variations like Hi-Tech Jacqui, Necromancer Shinnok, Assassin/Mournful Kitana and Ancestral Kung Lao

Espio

Kokomo
Lots of things have changed for the better with the patch so updates have been made, the updates are in bold and purple/pink font in the above guide.

Notable changes:

9 frame up1/up2 is a big deal. His anti-cross up game just got a huge boost and he can combo off of this for 25% (30%) for a bar for anti-air.

Being able to meter burn punchwalk insures we never have to waste meter and can confirm our damage on hit, which is wonderful.

His run speed seems to have slightly improved.

Forward 2,1, back 2 used to be superior to forward 2,1, 4 before the patch, but now this string has far more utility than the former.

Five frames shaved off the recovery of Goro's straight fireball makes for better zoning and counter zoning versatility.

Telestomp got faster start up and better whiff recovery, making it more useful and giving people less of a lifetime to punish.

Probably some other things I've left out, but these are probably the core, essential buffs/fixes that impact Goro and Tigrar Fury.

What's coming soon: Punchwalk gap guide, what's punishable by command grab and more.

4x4lo8o

Noob
@Espio great guide, but can I recommend that you maybe highlight some of his better strings or maybe organize them by which ones are good/less good/should be avoided?

You've got a lot of really good information here, but if I'm an inexperienced player looking to learn how to use Goro I don't necessarily finish reading that huge wall of text and come away with "ok, I want to use f3 and d4 for their range and cancel into punchwalk to build meter and make the the opponent respect me, use d1 to poke out of pressure and after that hits use my slower strings that have block advantage, then b12u2 for punishes and frametraps". Maybe set aside a section for his best normals, then list all the rest. Because if I'm someone who needs a Goro guide one of the first things I want is to know which moves I should be focusing on. All the pros and cons you have for every move are great and well written, but part of what makes an inexperienced player not as good is the lack of ability to properly evaluate all that information. There are people trying to use this site to learn that don't understand frame data very well and could walk away from this thinking "I should use 112 a lot because it beats crouchers"

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat

I agree with this 100%.

As much as I love this character and playing this character, I get SUPER frustrated when a character like Tanya, Cassie, D'Vorah can pretty much control space because of that GODLIKE advancing mid. While Goro has to make a Full / Half screen read with MB punchwalk to counter that. I shouldn't have to rely on MB Punchwalk from that far way.

Also not to mention the slowest run speed in the game, and maybe walk speed.

While this is a great guide, and explains everything in detail you should also show his flaws, and this is the biggest flaw of Goro.

Espio

Kokomo
What are you even talking about? I mention he has one of the slowest run speeds in the game at the very beginning of the guide. If you think that throwing out ex punch walk from full screen to half screen away is an essential or required strategy.....I dunno what to say lol. You're not required to, you just choose to throw it out like that. I rarely ever do that and am getting by just fine.

There's a weakness section if you bothered reading it you'd know that. I don't need to show anything cause it's already there lol.

Last edited:

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I agree with this 100%.

As much as I love this character and playing this character, I get SUPER frustrated when a character like Tanya, Cassie, D'Vorah can pretty much control space because of that GODLIKE advancing mid. While Goro has to make a Full / Half screen read with MB punchwalk to counter that. I shouldn't have to rely on MB Punchwalk from that far way.

Also not to mention the slowest run speed in the game, and maybe walk speed.

While this is a great guide, and explains everything in detail you should also show his flaws, and this is the biggest flaw of Goro.

Swing and a miss.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
What are you even talking about? I mention he has one of the slowest run speeds in the game at the very beginning of the guide. If you think that throwing out ex punch walk from full screen to half screen away is an essential, required or required strategy.....I dunno what to say lol. You're not required to, you just choose to throw it out like that. I rarely ever do that and am getting by just fine.

There's a weakness section if you bothered reading it you'd know that. I don't need to show anything cause it's already there lol.
Yeah excuse me for not re-reading something that is almost 2 months old, and I am sure that has been updated alot since then.

I never said it was an essential for Goro to throw out an Ex Punchwalk mid / full screen away, I said it was the only counter to counter those mids, I barley throw it out because I do not want to waste the meter.

Espio

Kokomo
When you're wrong, all you should be saying is sorry my bad, save the attitude. You do this all the time. You don't fact check or know what you're talking about but talk like you do, it's annoying because you always do it and never appologize or admit it. We all make mistakes, but at least have the decency to not give me attitude for your ignorance. I'm not going to argue your semantics, but either way you are incorrect because I do fine using down 4 and forward 3 spaced well to check Cassie's back 1. I'm not even that good so it shouldn't be that hard for everyone else to do either.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I do not have an "attitude", I admitted I was wrong and did not re-read the living guide. I guess my bad would of been a better wording to it.

I was proven wrong on a few things playing casuals at EVO, I admitted I was wrong. I have no problem admitting that, but when it comes to an opinion on something there is no correct / incorrect answer, my opinion on Goro is that he last the bigger neutral game than 85% of the cast, that is MY opinion, if you disagree with that then that is YOUR opinion. No need to argue about opinions.

So please stop saying that I never "man" up when I am wrong, I admit it all of the time.