What's new

NJPs to stop JIPs

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
So, I always hear that the answer to JIPs is a NJP, but how the hell are you supposed to land these? I always get hit out of my NJP, even by scrubs. Is the key to it speed? Tips please.

You sig is waaaaay too big dude.

It's all about reads. There is no simple answer to "how do I stop JIPs?". Depends on the character you play and spacing, for starters.

Theme

Noob
You have to perform the punch before they hit you. The NJP (if timed right) will always beat JIP's if you are anticipating it. Yo have to anticipate it, just like with cross ups, NJP beat out those too.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
I like the sig. Anyway, it seems like I am getting it in at the right time, but it just doesn't connect. I don't know.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
I personally don't like the NJPs to stop JIPs, that's because the jumping in MK only happens if you hold UP for at least 3 frames and is not instantaneous (as it should be for consistency purposes, imo). I'd rather go for D1 if the spacing is correct, otherwise you can always use something like d3 or d4 to lower your hitbox.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
I personally don't like the NJPs to stop JIPs, that's because the jumping in MK only happens if you hold UP for at least 3 frames and is not instantaneous (as it should be for consistency purposes, imo). I'd rather go for D1 if the spacing is correct, otherwise you can always use something like d3 or d4 to lower your hitbox.
That's what I usually do, but unless I'm playing Sonya, I usually can't combo off it. I figure if I could get this NJP down, I can get a combo off the bounce.

Theme

Noob
I like the sig. Anyway, it seems like I am getting it in at the right time, but it just doesn't connect. I don't know.
You arent timing it right if it isnt working. I dont even think JIK's will beat out NJP's. As for your sig, its obnoxiously big and to put it simply, annoying. You dont need the size of the text to be that big.......

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
You arent timing it right if it isnt working. I dont even think JIK's will beat out NJP's. As for your sig, its obnoxiously big and to put it simply, annoying. You dont need the size of the text to be that big.......
Cool your jets bro, I'll change the size. Jesus.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Basically its a guess. If you think they're going to jump at you and njp as they jump toward you you will beat their jip. If you try to do it AFTER they've left the ground already you'll get hit out of the air by their jip/jik. As for the dudes giving you stuff over your sig: its not that they want to bash it, its against the rules and needs to be resized.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Basically its a guess. If you think they're going to jump at you and njp as they jump toward you you will beat their jip. If you try to do it AFTER they've left the ground already you'll get hit out of the air by their jip/jik. As for the dudes giving you stuff over your sig: its not that they want to bash it, its against the rules and needs to be resized.
That might be it. I'm probably starting it after they've left the ground. Thanks.

Theme

Noob
Dont take offense over what I said, didnt mean to sound aggravated. You said "I like the sig" so I thought you just didnt care about the above 2 comments about it.

Anyways, what phil said is correct, but sometimes, even when they do leave the ground first, even if I am a little slower, the NJP will still beat out the JIP. I've seen this happen before, depending on the distance they are coming in at. NJP has priority over JIP/K's and most of the time will beat it out. As long as you hit the punch button before they hit theirs, you're golden, regardless who left the ground first.... but then again, dont do it too soon, or you'll whiff and they get a free punish.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Dont take offense over what I said, didnt mean to sound aggravated. You said "I like the sig" so I thought you just didnt care about the above 2 comments about it.

Anyways, what phil said is correct, but sometimes, even when they do leave the ground first, even if I am a little slower, the NJP will still beat out the JIP. I've seen this happen before, depending on the distance they are coming in at. NJP has priority over JIP/K's and most of the time will beat it out. As long as you hit the punch button before they hit theirs, you're golden, regardless who left the ground first.... but then again, dont do it too soon, or you'll whiff and they get a free punish.
I know that free punish too well. Anyway, I'm just going to put a shit ton of practice into this tonight. I have some bros coming over and they're going to be my guinea pigs for the night.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
EU seems to njp punish attempted crossups and such a lot more than most US players. No comment on how right or wrong that is, just an observation. It's actually very easy to do, but if you're trying to use the njp to stop jump ins from the verge of jump in range, I wouldn't, I wpould just use the best standing jab I have. Sub: 22, Cage 1, Sektor 1, etc