What's new

Next MK2 Tournament ideas

What type of tournament would you like to see next?

• Best of 13 random select

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best of 13 no random

• Pick one character

• Mirror Match

• Other (explain in a post)

• Total voters

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
What kind of tournament would you like to see next? Any special stipulations? Rules? Limits? Please post in here if you have any suggestions so we can fire up another tourney soon.

btbb99

Noob
i like the idea of a "tier list" tournament,with there being 3 tier's. for instance, lui,kang, jax, mileena and
kitana being top tier, and kung lao, shang tsung, raiden and scorpion being middle tier and bottom tier being johnny cage, sub zero, baraka, and reptile. best of 13 matches. players must use all 4 characters in that tier
3 times each and lets just say in the 13th match players must use the same character they used in match 12 in match 13.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Anyway, back on topic. The tier list tourney sounds like a good idea. We'd have to flesh out the details, but that could work. I'll think about opening this next one up to Kaillera players as well.

I was thinking a no-special moves tournament would be a cool idea too. Let's see if those MGPers and spammers stand a chance once those projectiles are gone, lol.

dciguy01 said:
I was thinking a no-special moves tournament would be a cool idea too. Let's see if those MGPers and spammers stand a chance once those projectiles are gone, lol.
This is a really interesting idea. The problem is I think it would be really hard for me to train myself not to use them in a match.. I usually use them without even thinking about it. So every time someone does one by accident, we'd have to start the match over.. :\

And what would count as a special move? Some of the characters have unique melee moves, like baraka's double-knee kick thing or Jax's "head bop" move. Are those special moves?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Special moves are any moves that are unique to that character. So for instance to answer John's question, the double knee kick and blade swipes would be considered illegal. For Jax, single throws are fine, but double, triple, and quadra slams are illegal. Jax's "overhead slap," although technically not a special move, might even be ban worthy since it gives a free uppercut/combo to whoever lands it unlike everyone else's close HP attack. That's open to interpretation, though.

As far as how you enforce the rule, here is my proposal.
  • First offense: restart match (warning)
  • Second offense: Forfeiture of that round
  • Third offense and beyond: Forfeiture of that game (counts as a loss in overall totals)
If we go through with this type of tourney, I would suggest playing a few practice rounds prior to the match to ensure you get into the proper mode.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I think I'm going to go ahead and create this tournament listed above. I think it's a good idea because it encourages and forces you to use CQC to beat your opponent (though turtlers may like this kind of tourney...) I'll allow unique moves like the overhead slap since they aren't really specials.