What's new

Newb/Noob in need of advice?

Hello, my name is FrostyBarrel ,and I'm new to these forums and hope to get some advice from anyone who can give me advice. I've read around the forums a little and saw people mention tiers for characters( IE: Saying Sub-Zero is a low tier fighter). It made me curious as to where I could find a list of the tiers or have possibly have someone post it. I am not a very good player ,and would like to be pointed in the right direction for choosing a specific player to main.

List of characters who's basic combos I know(As in all of the basics are memorized):
Ermac
Kung Lao
Liu Kang(BnB I believe thats the term for it anyways.)
Noob Saibot
Sub Zero
Scorpion
Smoke

Enenra

Go to hell.
Ermac is very solid, a bait n punish and space control style of play.
KL is a dirty sonuvabitch and I hate him. He is very good though, makes a lot of characters struggle.
Liu Kang is easy, scrubby, and safe. Go with him to scrub it out and annoy your opponent.
Noob Saibot is low tier. Not recommended. Fun though.
Sub Zero is for character loyalist only, lol. He is bottom 5.
Scorpion, you have to be a very risky player and make really good reads. High execution, great damage.
Smoke is a top 5 character, very lame, very mobile, very safe. Huge damage if you learn his resets.

Best to worst:
1. Smoke
2. KL
3. Ermac or Scorpion depending on your play style (ie offense and reads vs zoning, space control, punishment)
4. Liu Kang
5. Noob Saibot
6. Sub Zero

My opinion and based on education via the forums. I main all male ninjas, so if you go with any of them I'd be happy to help you.

Well, I like Ermac the most and eventhough he's 3rd among your list he's my pick out of that lot. So, tell me is this combo I've been trying to get down worth it:
<-+X,X,B,Force Lift,Air Kick,Teleport Punch ,Y, Force Push(Does 45% damage I think.)

Enenra

Go to hell.
Ermac is very, very good. He hasn't been exposed by a US player that mains him and really takes him seriously though. Only metzos13 (love ya man) in the Greek scene really exposes him, but that's one player. He is at least top 15, arguably 12, some have said 10.

That's a good combo, yes. Definitely worth it.

NKZero

Noob
FrostyBarrel with MK9 although there is a legitimate tier list, the overall character balance is phenomenal especially when you compare it to any fighting game. Every character (other than Jade no offense) can win especially if you put time into learning them. Keys to picking a character imo:

1. You feel comfortable playing their style
2. They aren't Jade
3. YOU LOVE THEM (it's so much more satisfying winning with the character you love_

As Enenra said, Sub Zero is for the hardcore Sub Zero fans because people are scared to pick "a bottom five character". Basically you pick who you like. If I had to choose out of that list that you presented above, I would say Sub Zero simply because he's my favourite among them.

Enenra

Go to hell.
FrostyBarrel with MK9 although there is a legitimate tier list, the overall character balance is phenomenal especially when you compare it to any fighting game. Every character (other than Jade no offense) can win especially if you put time into learning them. Keys to picking a character imo:

1. You feel comfortable playing their style
2. They aren't Jade
3. YOU LOVE THEM (it's so much more satisfying winning with the character you love_

As Enenra said, Sub Zero is for the hardcore Sub Zero fans because people are scared to pick "a bottom five character". Basically you pick who you like. If I had to choose out of that list that you presented above, I would say Sub Zero simply because he's my favourite among them.
I love Sub Zero, but I think he would just piss off a new player. He takes a lot of effort to win with.

I love Sub Zero, but I think he would just piss off a new player. He takes a lot of effort to win with.
I'm not entirely new I've been playing for over 2 months online for about 3 weeks tops, but I never picked someone to main nor did I learn 30%+ damage combos.

Honestly, I'm not sure who I should pick Ermac is easily my favorite among them ,but I have a far easier time playing as Kung Lao and using his fighting style.(Kung Lao is my second favorite.)