What's new

NEW SOUL STEAL.

Sigmar

Ex Mortis
OMG I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i get crossed over too much for some reason now, and it's way to fast on startup i liked it before! whyy!

please comment on the ex soul steal. :c

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Is it possible to link into now? Say, could I do a 3 hit combo with 2,2~Soul Steal? If so, it could prove useful as a reset with or without a combo, albeit a somewhat risky one due to Soul Steal's properties.

EDIT: Eh ... EN only ... wow ... lots of love for EN moves lately, eh?

Altaire

Noob
Is it possible to link into now? Say, could I do a 3 hit combo with 2,2~Soul Steal? If so, it could prove useful as a reset with or without a combo, albeit a somewhat risky one due to Soul Steal's properties.

EDIT: Eh ... EN only ... wow ... lots of love for EN moves lately, eh?
...Well no shit, you kind of have to spend meter on them.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Shang only got better, I don't know why people are complaining about a buff throwing their timing off... Shang is most likely S-Tier with the recent changes that have been made across the board.

Change soul steal dude. They should make soul steal alot like Shangs grab where you take life and it adds life to shang. What if you change into a character you dont know???But it is what it is

I hear f+434 xx upskull pressure doesnt work. So shang = mid tier.

Edit - I can be wrong.
Yea...not to mention 90% of the cast now has armor now. Pretty much any character can get through Shang's zoning either through armor, teleports, or just beat him in zoning now. Corner pressure is completely gone now. Every patch it seems Shang gets a nerf in some form. Saying he's mid tier is being optimistic I think. I'm actually considering dropping him altogether...

the up skull pressure was not touched. Shang remained the same + some slight tweaks in his favor.
Actually it was...4, 3, 4 ground skull jumping kick 4, 3, 4 up skull will cause the up skull to whiff in the corner. They don't even have to block it. Must've had invincibility added on waking up.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Actually it was...4, 3, 4 ground skull jumping kick 4, 3, 4 up skull will cause the up skull to whiff in the corner. They don't even have to block it. Must've had invincibility added on waking up.
I don't think that is really true, regardless I know for a fact that there are modifications to that corner string that guarantee meteor will land. Shangs corner Jail is still the best in the game.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Try it in training room...I think you'll find an unpleasant surprise... :(
It would be a pleasant surprise for me, I hate dealing with Shangs corner pressure. You are literally waiting for him to make a mistake in order to get out. But like I said, there are ways to make the meteor land so you just need to make adjustments to your string.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
oh my god please no.

on topic: I belive the SS issue is more of a timing thing. Gotta get used to the EX and regular SS now. I actually like the fact of armor being instantaneous now. I've gotten poked out of EX SS so many times...

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
It would be a pleasant surprise for me, I hate dealing with Shangs corner pressure. You are literally waiting for him to make a mistake in order to get out. But like I said, there are ways to make the meteor land so you just need to make adjustments to your string.
Yeah I think you have to delay the Up Skull just a touch for it to make contact.

As for this thread, is someone complaining about a move being too fast? I'm not understanding the gripe.

well thats disappointing as hell to hear.. corner pressure was shangs ace in the hole

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Seriously though, I need to test these issues with Shang. Im joining a tournament in 2 weeks GDI!! When is the patch coming out for PS3 anyway?

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Hey guys- I just thought i'd let you know that Shang's corner pressure is still possible. Instead of ending in F+4,3,4, upskull, i use 1,(slight delay)1,2,1,2, upskull. As Far as I know, this works on everyone. NRS has definitely changed something about the corner, because his midscreen upskull pressure still works fine. So even though it is slightly more annoying, you can still use his upskull corner pressure. The issue seems to be that your opponent must be low to the ground when you perform the upskull, otherwise it will go throught them, It is technically still possible to use F+4,3,4, but it is REALLY hard. As far as the patch goes, I cannot say that I am especially pleased. Sao87- could you explain the small tweaks that have made Shang better? The EX SS is definitely better, but one of Shang's biggest strengths, zoning, has really taken a hit.

Sigmar

Ex Mortis
Baraka actually got EXTREAMLY ANNOYING after patch, full screen ( i think or hell 99% of it) ex blade charge with armour! i really only zone, this makes me mad, :c

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Ok after some brief testing this is what I've found:

F434 cGS jk F434 US - Will wiff only if the opponent does nothing or blocks. When I set the dummy to roll or wakeup attack, it connected each time. I only used Sektor for training, but I continued pressure after a slight delay and was able to hit him out of both of his wakeups and continue corner pressure..

F434 cGS jk 1, 12, 12 US - This works but does something like 26 or 28 percent compared to the 31 the original combo gives.

F434 cGS jk 12, 122 US - This does 30%, but stuffing Sektor's wakeup attacks was inconsistent.

F434 cGS jk 1, 12, F434 US - 33%, but leaves the opponent too close to the ground for any hope of stuffing a wakeup attack with continued pressure.

Granted I only tested with Sektor, who leaves a bit to be desired in the wakeup department, but I was able to stuff his EX teleport consistently with the old combo. I will test some more characters later; I'm sure there are still some that will give ST problems. From what I can tell, though, using the old combo is still win-win. If the opponent blocks, the US whiffs but they're probably going to keep holding block when they see it coming from the sky, which gives you more time to pressure, and if they roll on accident or do a wakeup attack, it will connect and you might be able to knock them out of it, or at least get some extra damage.

-edit- Still not great against fast advancing specials(NW, Reptile, etc) but that's a given.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Nope, midscreen is affected by his new whiffed upskull properties. It's height/wakeup frames dependant now.

I need to do some testing, but some corner bnb variants like f434, gr. skull, jk, 1, 1,2, f434 (up skull) end way too low and may get stuffed by wakeups (like KL's regular spin) before you get to block. (it does not happen always, but if the enemy is too low on that last f434 you may get wakeup'd) Best way to avoid that is just go for [...]jk, 1,2, f434 (upskull) [...]

Also, when in midscreen combo you cannot throw it right after you use your last ground skull, now you gotta wait until your opponent's body is falling and at shang's neck high or lower. Talking about it in frame times, I'm guessing your whiffed upskull will only hit once the invincibility input frames are off. Guess NRS wanted wakeup attacks to play a bigger role on the game. And that's game changing for me.

If I'm right, that's affecting so much my gameplay. Gotta gamble more with the soul steal now. I'll be spending a lot of time on the lab tomorrow morning, hopefully bringing some good setups or something. It's a sad day, though.

Can anybody check if frame traps are still the same as before? I'm seeing the soul steal glitch is still there (The second hit of the SS in F+3, soul steal is blockable)