What's new

New PDP Versus Controllers - Now in PS3 Flavor

Tim Static

Adminerator

Recently PDP has taken the 360 exclusive Marvel vs Capcom 3 pad they made specifically for MvC3 and has released it in a normal versions for Xbox 360 and now, in a Playstation 3 variety.

Now, I havent actually played a game with one of these pads, but i have held one and felt the way they feel and how well that analog feels, as well as the button. I give this product 2 thumbs up, especially for analog stick fighters (like Juggs) but the best thing is now, if your can get one for both consoles which is GREAT for tourney players. Same exact pad but not it doesnt matter console the tourney is holding the game on. Your set!

Pics:

Word is these are available on Amazon (hyper linked above) coming soon to Gamestop and where ever else video game accessories are sold!!)

LockM

Noob
Before owning an arcade stick such a controller would have been a blessing, maybe i still get one for when i have friends over who don't play on sticks. Dashing might be a problem with this fightpad though, i never was able to do it with an analog stick.

PSN

Noob
I'm waiting for reviews, but this looks fantastic! This should work for any other fighting game as well right? Easily for SSFIV or Tekken? Possibly MK?

Tim Static

Adminerator
PSN said:
I'm waiting for reviews, but this looks fantastic! This should work for any other fighting game as well right? Easily for SSFIV or Tekken? Possibly MK?
Yea it should work for about any game where you dont need 2 analogs.

Honestly I would not recommend it. The buttons wear very quickly. And the joystick on it breaks easily. The rubber coating also commonly tears, and most people just rip it off all together which ruins the look and feel. I mean it is a good try, but I am sure there will be a better rendition in the future. I regret buying mine, and after going back to stick I REALLY regret buying mine, haha. If you are dropping 40 for it, you might as well save up another 20 and get a good entry level stick.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Organelle said:
Honestly I would not recommend it. The buttons wear very quickly. And the joystick on it breaks easily. The rubber coating also commonly tears, and most people just rip it off all together which ruins the look and feel. I mean it is a good try, but I am sure there will be a better rendition in the future. I regret buying mine, and after going back to stick I REALLY regret buying mine, haha. If you are dropping 40 for it, you might as well save up another 20 and get a good entry level stick.
Fair enough, but if your not gonna put at least a good $100-$130 to get something better than those piece of shit SE sticks or what not,, there is no poiint (even if you get a SE for that price, you need a good $30-$50 to get parts on it worth a shit). So i respect your opinion on these pads (these new ones might be better, i dunno) but i would never suggest someone go that route for a stick :)

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
I thought the point of using a a pad was for the dpad don't ever see ppl using the analog. I also heard a bad review from someone returning it to gamestop while I was buying some stuff. Looks nice though. But I'll stick to my arcade cabinet :p

Ive played with almost every pad made for fighting games and this is the second to worst pad ever. The worst pad ever is the Neo Geo pad 2 made for KOF. Moves just dont come out and its really small. Shit is Garbage.The best pad ive ever played with is the Mad Catz fightpad made for SFIV, its literaly flawless.

Tim Static

Adminerator
xThomahawk said:
Ive played with almost every pad made for fighting games and this is the second to worst pad ever. The worst pad ever is the Neo Geo pad 2 made for KOF. Moves just dont come out and its really small. Shit is Garbage.The best pad ive ever played with is the Mad Catz fightpad made for SFIV, its literaly flawless.
See, I think the SFIV pads are just as bad as the others you mentioned you dont like. its a bad knock off of the old Saturn pad. they suck imo.

But like sticks, its preference.

mkds2011

Noob
I bought the Marvel version of this pad. I do not recommend it at all. It is not durable at all. I went through two in under a month. TWO OF THEM!!! If only they were durable because they are very responsive and feel good. But the stick broke in different directions each time I had it. I mean, I bought it before I realized they used to be Pelican. I remember having Pelican products for the N64. Trash.

Jaybo

Noob
Sorry, I'm another one that has to disagree with Static. The Madcatz SF4 pads are fantastic, in fact, it's probably the best dpad I have ever used on any system ever made, since the days of Pac-Man.

That said, I am fully converted to sticks and own 3 of them.

I've been playing with the marvel version of these for the past couple of days and I must say I really like it... however it's taking some time to get used to because I've stricly been playing with a stick since the game came out!

RayRokka

Noob
Cburnham81 said:
I've been playing with the marvel version of these for the past couple of days and I must say I really like it... however it's taking some time to get used to because I've stricly been playing with a stick since the game came out!
I bought the black one at my local Game Stop. Seems like a good device but after playing a few hours I see no need to switch to it from stick. The Thumbstick is clicky and you can tell there are actual switches being hit. I had a tendency to overplay the thumbstick and moves did not come out as easily as a joystick or a d-pad. It would take time to get used to it. I think if you go pad you do it because of the flat dpad. If I wanted a stick I would just use an arcade stick.

<< or >> moves were tough because I could not input those commands fast enough and I would instead dash. tapping twice on a dpad or using a joystick is definitely easier than using a thumbstick. It is more difficult to control a thumb stick precisely. Dpads are purely digital and inputs can be tapped in quickly. Joysticks are assisted by your whole hand, which is a big deal.

I would occasionally hit the wrong face buttons on the PDP pad. I still think it is a great product, but I see no need to switch to it from a regular Madcatz Arcade Stick.

For Mortal Kombat there really is nothing better than a PS pad. I was hoping to get that experience with the PDP pad, but there really is no better replacement.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Has anyone tried the PDP Versus Pad?

Hey TYM.

Yesterday while practicing, the right directional area of my pad broke and completely stopped responding. For years now and for every 2 D style fighting game I've used a Madcatz Street Fighter Fight Pad.

Personally, I like it. I'm comfortable with the feel of it and over the years have grown used to it. The problem is however, is that MadCatz seems to not know how to make durable parts for their equipment save The TE Fight Stick which uses Sanyo parts anyways. I've went through about five of these stupid pads over the years and quite frankly I don't feel like buying another one every month.

So now I'm looking into buying the PDP versus controller with the joystick. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these, and if you have, how is it? Is the joystick nice and hopefully not like the 360 joystick? Also how is the durability? I'd figure it's hard to tell since the controller is fairly new and I doubt one has broken down yet, but any insight would be nice.

Thanks TYM.

EDIT: God I am so overly dissapointed with what I have been hearing. Why can't a company just fucking combine a good design with durable parts. Why does it always need to be one or the other or neither at all? It's like us Fight Pad players just get left in the after burner. I need to bite a wire.

I picked up the PDP pad almost three weeks ago now, and I'm fairly happy with it. As far as it being durable, I'm really not sure because I haven't had it that long. All I know is that everywhere I look online people say it breaks easily. After about three weeks of heavy use though, mine is holding up just fine.

PDP Versus Fighting Pad for 360

Umm... After having this for a few days I decided to plug my mic up.. Only there is no place for it, did I get a defective one or what? It should have 3 holes, one for the metal piece and two for the plastic, only it has just the one for the metal piece.

Also, while I love the micro switches, the thumbstick like dpad is garbage IMO. Does the SFIV pad have the micro switches in them or light buttons? Playing on a regular 360 pad now is like playing on the original DUKE controller, haha.

Thanks in advance.

Saint

Noob
PDP Fight Pad

I'm was looking for either a pad or a stick and I was rather impressed with this product:

http://www.pdp.com/p-1026-versus-controller-for-ps3.aspx

Anyone have first hand experience?

What's your guys take on this.

Thanks in advance

Edit: My bad, didn't know of this thread.

Some people seem disappointed with the PDP pad.

Is there a rolls royce of fight pads that would be suitable for MK?