What's new

New GBS format for MKX

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
Im kinda salty you posted this thread first, because we're working something out very similar to this in Florida - except its statewide, if everything falls through.

However, this is great! Looking forward to it.

Ghost Battle Series for Injustice was amazing. In case you don't know, it was a weekly tournament held at GGA every Thursday night. Also thanks to Bit, Ken, Max, Hruza, Jim, and Han and all you other regulars that kept the passion going. GBS was where GGA finally started a tournament format and it turned out to be an amazing addition to our "casuals only" way we had played MK9 beforehand. With the release of MKX we look to improve on some of the mechanics of GBS to make it even more amazing.

GBS was based on seeding, which for the most part worked out really well. However since the season was like 13 weeks long there would be some instances for example, where either Bit or Max would be so far ahead of the competition that the final week of our season of GBS would be anti-climatic because the winner would be locked up ahead of time. There were however, some great things for GBS, and those things will be carried over.

• The point system from Injustice GBS will be carried over for MKX with no changes. 1st place at a GBS is 6 pts, 2nd is 5 pts, 3rd is 4 pts, 4th is 3 pts, tied for 5th awards 2 pts each, and tied for 7th awards 1 pt each
  • These points will also count for seeding as well just like Injustice GBS. This way we can avoid those tournaments where the 2 best players fight round 1 for example.
Now for the GBS Changes for MKX.

• Seasons will be 10 weeks long fitting in with the 10th MK and X theme. A little bit shorter season will help the end of season doldrums that tends to happen when some people are so far ahead of others. This will ensure that every single week will be extremely important to get your points.
  • At the end of the 10th week the 8 players with the most points qualify for "Super Week." That 11th week of GBS will basically be an invitational (invited based on how many GBS points you got) 8 man round robin tournament.
  • The person who wins the round robin super week tournament will be declared the winner of that season's GBS and the following week, the next season of GBS will start fresh, with everyone's seeding points being wiped clean.
  • The winner of the season for GBS will get his name engraved on a plaque that will be hanging in the room. Each season we will add a new name to the plaque, so eventually it will be a list of names on it declaring the winners of all the previous seasons Stanley Cup style.
  • Super Week will also decide who got 2nd-8th for that GBS season as well, if you are like me and care about 2nd or worse placings.
  • If you don't qualify for Super Week don't fret. During super week there will be another tournament going on. So far I am calling it "The Best of the Rest."
  • The Best of the Rest tournament will be a standard double elimination tournament and the best part of this is that the 8 players who made Super Week won't be able to play in it, so we can truly see who is the best of the rest without those top 8 players interfering.
As for the GBS tournament format we will run the following.

• Best 2/3. Grand Finals will be best 3/5.
  • Stages will be double random
  • Winner is character AND variation locked
  • Loser can hit rematch for an exact rematch or go back to the character select screen
  • If the loser goes back to the character select screen, the stage is again double random
As with previous GBS formats we are open to changing our format as time goes on. If the tournament standard becomes something else we will most likely adopt that change.

@GGA 16 Bit
@GGA Dizzy
@GGA Fill Pops
@GGA HAN
@GGA Max
@GGA MOE30W
@GGA pimpimjim
@GGA Saucy Jack
@GGA Wafflez
@Jim
@Hruza Da Bruza
@RM Truth

Oh and after tagging Bit and PPJ I remembered. Of course testers welcome week 1. Come in and show us how to play!

Also STAT TRACKING!!!!! REPORT YOUR SCORES!!!! I will make a post about this later.

First Season of GBS April 16th - June 18th.

Tournament Starts 8pm. Sign up for the tournament and casuals usually around 7pm.
I will be returning

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Thursday are going to be tough at times this year becuase the wifey and I are expecting a baby and Thursday's are set up for doctors appointments and my wife has those days off. But I really want to attend casual practice sessions this year. Are there still going to casuals on Sunday and Tuesday's for practice?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Can't wait to watch guys. I wish I could hear all the commentary but alas I'll be watching from work. So excited to see all the crazy stuff that will happen as we all learn this game. All the upsets. All the ownage. All the blowups. So much unscripted drama tournaments and competition brings.

Do you accept Greek guys???
Of Course! Don't worry I will even teach you how to play.

I will be returning
D Q Ba Ba Ba Ba BEATS!

Thursday are going to be tough at times this year becuase the wifey and I are expecting a baby and Thursday's are set up for doctors appointments and my wife has those days off. But I really want to attend casual practice sessions this year. Are there still going to casuals on Sunday and Tuesday's for practice?
There will be many casual days. Early Injustice the amount of casual sessions were insanely high. I don't expect less for MKX. There are some slight changes though. Smash Bros. has been very successful at GGA on Sundays. Also our Anime Friday night is doing very good as well. We will have to figure out the best casual days and I will make a post about it soon.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I wish this was Friday's or Saturdays.. alas it's not so I can only watch from afar. Maybe ill take a day off work to come play.

Kizzer

Noob
Man, as a MK noob but obscenely excited about this new release, I -really- wish my Thursdays were free so I could go. If I ever get free those nights, I'll slide through and catch some of the excitement live. Can't wait.

Going to wait a month or so after the MKX release and then hit these up. I live in NW Indiana so the drive isn't too bad. Thanks for the information.
NW Indiana, you say? I'm in Gary and would love to be able to jam some games without having to travel nearly as much as I already do (Ignite Mondays and sometimes GGA on Fridays to play Guilty Gear).

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
I have nothing but praise and admiration for want you guys have done and are willing to do with your scene. Ill be spectating all that I can from Japan.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Man, as a MK noob but obscenely excited about this new release, I -really- wish my Thursdays were free so I could go. If I ever get free those nights, I'll slide through and catch some of the excitement live. Can't wait.

NW Indiana, you say? I'm in Gary and would love to be able to jam some games without having to travel nearly as much as I already do (Ignite Mondays and sometimes GGA on Fridays to play Guilty Gear).
Guilty Gear is the besties.

DepreszD

5pectre of Vengvnce
Damn not in Chiraq but a youngin a have to fuck with Gamebattles until I can get MKX poppin in Spain..