What's new

New Forum, New Thread: MK10

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You guys all have great ideas... but in a general sense... less is more. The game can't have all those bodies. Uniqueness wouldn't be prevalent at all.
my only thought that would be neat is that if you had a full X-ray bar to "Finish Him", each character have an extended X-ray and call it a brutality.
Example: Scorpion. after he chest stomps... have him mount the guy, throw three face punches (all X-ray prop but not in slow motion) back flip off and then hellfire to smolder.

edit: I don't mind having CSZ in the game... but why not let him play like his human self? They restored his memory... why wouldn't he fight like his old self? Then have his challenge tower completion unlock the human form. I also feel like they dropped the ball on the boss characters not being playable. Have the "boss" version and then have the playable version. I really wanted to play as Shao Khan for sure.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I hated all the MK4 chars minus Quan Chi and Shinnok to be honest. All stupid stories IMO.

Oh and if CSZ is actually in the game for MK10, let's not have the narrator asleep at the wheel this time

OneSexyRobot: I'm a firm believer that too many chars is a bad thing. 50+ chars would be silly IMO, it makes you not appreciate everybody
Absolutely. Even 9 to an extent feels kind of overloaded with the DLC added...like, who has the time to master 30+ people?

I just hope everybody gets in in some manner, even if its just in passing in Story Mode or something.
You could give half that list cinematic guest spots along the way and leave it at that, and it wouldnt bother me at all.
Just like MKD, how you'd randomly run into Sektor or Mavado, do something for them, get paid, and go on with your life.
Whoever you still want to keep in, but dont have the space to add them to the roster, make them a mission in whatever quest there ends up being.
That way, everybody can get their 15 minutes of fame without the roster being weighed down by the less-than-appealing prospects.
(*coughcough*DAIROU*coughcough*)

EDIT: BRING BACK THE MINIGAMES!
Chess before Puzzle, Puzzle before Motor. Motor was just...silly.
I'd have to say Chess was one of my favorite MK features ever...Puzzle was fun, but it could get pretty infuriating.
Chess had it all.

First of I would like some clarity on some issues.

Resets and such are not intended by the DEVs right? It's just the game engines capability discovered by players?

Here's my thoughts on what MK10 should include.

X-Rays: They're great, keep them as is, but make them graphically unique, some times I feel as if it's the same internal damage done in different variations.

Stages: Please make a better visualization of corners on stages.

I would like more options to combo, strings, links, and such, the Dial System works, though I wish it had a bit more freedom. You're committed to normal strings into specials, or certain strings require certain specials to be linked with, give us some more breathing room to work with something.

I wish there was more ways to use the meter, maybe something along the idea of FAs.

I was also toying around the idea to have character specific upper cuts. They are already iconic to MK, do great damage, why not make them unique to a character in some way.

I wish MK had a legit poking game and footsies, it's nice that the game is offensive, but this idea should be explored, it'd add a lot to the game in my opinion.

Do something about the damage in MK10. Test the game good, certain characters are stripped of new tech and made less intriguing and unique because the tech can output good damage, it's a cheap way to fix things by just removing or nerfing the issue. Let characters have options and tech people find as long as they are legit, and not game breaking infinities instead of patching it constantly.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Put Chameleon or Khameleon in the Deadpool stage after completing certain requirements ^-^
I wouldn't want him/her to be playable tho, unless they had their own moveset.

Past

Noob
1. Breakers need to cost 3 meters. Right now the cost is too low, it cannot be baited, and it is used almost exclusively in high level play. The only character that can get around this are the ones that use projectiles in their combos. Therefore, you should be able to breaker projectiles as well.

2. A real training mode

3. Actual challenges that help improve your game like in street fighter or blazblue. Like combo challenges or having 10 seconds to touch an iaf spamming Kitant from full screen.

4. More polish to 2vs2. Too many changes to add to this

1. Breakers need to cost 3 meters. Right now the cost is too low, it cannot be baited, and it is used almost exclusively in high level play. The only character that can get around this are the ones that use projectiles in their combos. Therefore, you should be able to breaker projectiles as well.
That would probably kill Shang Tsung as that is one of his biggest strengths. Also it would look kind of weird having a character punch out in the air when being juggled by ground skulls which would cause Shang Tsung to get knocked out 20 feet away. Also I think 2 meters is the perfect amount.

Past

Noob
That would probably kill Shang Tsung as that is one of his biggest strengths. Also it would look kind of weird having a character punch out in the air when being juggled by ground skulls which would cause Shang Tsung to get knocked out 20 feet away. Also I think 2 meters is the perfect amount.
No it won't because the breaker strike would have a hitbox. This is how other games implement this. If you are not in the hitbox then you won't get knocked away.
2 meters is too low considering the amount of meter that you build from blocked attacks.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
EDIT: BRING BACK THE MINIGAMES!
Chess before Puzzle, Puzzle before Motor. Motor was just...silly.
I'd have to say Chess was one of my favorite MK features ever...Puzzle was fun, but it could get pretty infuriating.
Chess had it all.
God damn your bright light! :rant: lol!

Also, fuck the mini-games... Chess Kombat was the only mini-game that I personally enjoyed but I just want FOCUS on ANOTHER GOOD MK. :)

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I actually like the way breakers are now. Breakers are used almost exclusively? Did you not see how many ex punches CDjr was using with Jax last night? Using ex moves is a big part of my game and many others'. The only downside is characters who don't have as much use for ex moves, like Kano and Kenshi, and are able to dish out enough damage and save for breakers/xray.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
More characters, chill out on the patching, better netcode, and maybe a story mode for both good and evil side.
Everybody's nuts for the good game/evil game split nowadays, so itd make sense.
Remember the alliance statuses in D.A.? Bring that back and have different ladders/rewards/purchases/trophies for each group.
Good, Evil, Neutral. But that doesn't necessarily have to be how they END the game.

*prays for a better netcode*

SpyderJ

Noob
One thing im interested in is whether or not they will drop lets say 5-6 characters from the current roster. The least played or least liked for that matter. Examples could be stryker, sheeva, & sindel. Just a thought, for making room for some newer characters to get some love without overfilling the roster.

One thing im interested in is whether or not they will drop lets say 5-6 characters from the current roster. The least played or least liked for that matter. Examples could be stryker, sheeva, & sindel. Just a thought, for making room for some newer characters to get some love without overfilling the roster.
Every character has its share of fans. I don't think it'd be very fair to drop the so called "least favorite characters."

Consider this, how many people would play Kung Lao or Raiden if they were considered to be the absolute worst in the game? Imagine if Baraka and Sheeva were the best in the game, how often would we see them in tournaments then?

While some people will like characters because of their playstyle (independent of how effective it is) or the character's backstory or role itself, you'll mostly see people picking the "best" characters.

Here are some of the things I would really like to see from MK10. I feel that NRS should roughly keep the same idea they have gone with for MK9, however open up the game a bit more to make it feel more free-form. I will explain below.

Here are things I would like to see in MK10, as well as some changes from MK9 to MK10:

- Improved Training mode features (Enemy record options).
- Improved Button Config from within the game.
- Improved online mode features. Would be nice if there was a reconnect feature/flag you could set for the king of the hill room you joined so you don't lose your turn if you are disconnected. Also a flag you could set to have your turn skipped if you simply just like to watch matches.
- Online Training Mode with friends or by yourself, while waiting for a match.
- More improvements to netcode if NRS feels it is feasible (Please don't use GameSpy servers).
- Removal of first hit bonus at the beginning of the round.
- Removal of Dan Forden damage increase buff (Keep Toasty in the game though).
- Have the storyline pick up where MK9 left off. It would be nice to see most of the MK4 roster in MK10.
- At least 4 brand new characters. I would love to see Tremor and Robo-Smoke. There has also been a lot of talk lately about having a white ninja in the game, i'm thinking something like Storm Shadow (GI Joe).

Here are some gameplay streamlining suggestions that I would like to see:

- More consistent Anti-Air across the board. Very few characters in MK9 actually have consistent anti-air (Kung Lao spin for example). Please take a look at this to see what can be improved upon.

In Street Fighter, oftentimes anti-airs are also known as reversals (Ryu's Shoryuken, Adon's Rising Jaguar, Balrogs Headbutt). Properties on reversal type moves typically have a few invincibility frames on start-up for consistency and are punishable on block/whiff.

When anti-air is consistent, the game will become less of a jump-fest and ideally will have more of a strategic ground game feel.

- Improved footsies, combo's/block strings from low attacks. In MK9, the primary purpose of using d1 and d3 is as a measure of poking/counter-poking because they are your characters fastest normals for breaking up pressure. Perhaps consider allowing combo's/chains to start from crouching attacks (push block will need to be considered however if this is implemented). Or encourage special move cancels from low attacks in some capacity.

- More differentiation of jumping normal attacks.

- 2D hitboxes to provide better functionality for situational normal attacks (ex: anti-air normals, normals that cause jumping attacks to whiff).

- Remove stances and stance change. Normal attacks and special attacks should be consistent regardless of which side of the screen you are on, or which way your character is standing.

- Make throws techable while holding block.

- Trade system (allow draw games). If both players press a button at the exact same time, or both hitboxes come in contact with the opponents hurtbox at the exact same time, both opponents should take damage.

- Remove animation for entering and exiting the block state. I believe there are 2-3 frames when pressing the block button where you are not technically blocking until your character raises their hands in the guard position. If block is held, the character should be blocking; If block is not held, the character should not be blocking.

- Remove the animation for entering and exiting the crouch state. There are a few frames when pressing down where the character slowly crouches before being in the crouched position (this can be sped up by entering block, then pressing down). Please make it so when down is held, the character is crouching immediately. You are either in the crouch state, or in the stand state.

- Improve the input system and the negative edge buffer.

An example would be Kitana's d1 xx Cutter (down, forward 2). If Kitana is already holding the down button/direction because she is put in a block string and chooses to press down 1, the cancel into the special move will be non-existent. I presume this is because the down is not considered buffered for the special move, meaning Kitana actually has to dash or exit the crouching state then re-enter it, then again press d1 xx cutter.

By pressing down + 1 (or being in the crouch state), then rolling the arcade stick/pad to forward and pressing 2; The special move cancel should work without having to stand or dash or find intricate ways to allow this to work. Oftentimes you will see players press d1 to break up the pressure, then dash forward and press d1 xx cutter. I use Kitana as an example, but there are plenty of other examples where special move cancels could be improved.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Maybe the best way to get around "which characters to take out" should revolve around the story mode; that way players can't call "foul" on their favorite being eliminated. A TON of characters died in the MK9 story on the good side, and I think it's safe to assume that Baraka, Reptile, and a lot of the Kahn side didn't make it out either. In light of the negative feedback for my mk4 roster suggestion, maybe there could be a "best of" of the 3d series' character inclusion. NRS has flat out stated that they knew some of the later characters were really uninspired, and I think that if Mokap, Meat, and Blaze were overlooked there would be little resistance. It's clear that there are some fan favorites out there from the 3d series (as were requested via threads for DLC), so NRS could take those into highest account. I'm sure people would welcome Cyber Smoke (not likely), Ashrah, Bo Rai Cho, Frost, Nitara, Sareena, Fujin, Mavado, etc (insert whoever your favorite is). Personally, I'd love to see reimaginings of Fujin, Ashrah, and Mavado more than anything because I thought they all had interesting game mechanics.

If the story mode has a legit way of bringing in the mk4 and up fan favorites, people will be far more willing to accept the progression I think.

aj1701

Noob
I hated all the MK4 chars minus Quan Chi and Shinnok to be honest. All stupid stories IMO.
Agreed 200%!!! The current MK9 cast, + Shinnok should be the only returning characters. Everyone else from the later games were shit. I have zero interest in seeing anyone else come back, lets get fresh content here on out.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Personally, I'd love to see reimaginings of Fujin, Ashrah, and Mavado more than anything because I thought they all had interesting game mechanics
Considering Mavado uses Kabal's hooks, how would they incorperate that in the story?

For game play mechanics for MK9 I would like to see the following:

-Try to fix negative edge as much as possible. Make the inputs harder if you have to
-Stance change is useless, remove it
-D1/D4 should not be anti airs. There are ways to get out of crossups w/out it. If you are getting crossed up, you should be blocking anyway.
-ALL X-rays should be punishable. The fact that some are safe is just silly. If you take a risk like that, you should get punished PLUS lose all your meter
-I think they should add a 4th bar on meter for X-ray

Would like to expand on the unique upper cuts maybe allow it to extend or initiate combos. I also agree with Morty about pokes into combos. To add to that, ugh do something about negative edge. Also allow or concept the idea of starting cross ups from jump kicks.

aj1701

Noob
-ALL X-rays should be punishable. The fact that some are safe is just silly. If you take a risk like that, you should get punished PLUS lose all your meter
I disagree with these. You wiffed your xray, that also means no meter for breaker. I also like the three bars but two for breaker, being able to have stored up two breakers doesn't feel right to me. You should have to think about using your meter, and I think the current system forces that pretty well.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Considering Mavado uses Kabal's hooks, how would they incorperate that in the story?

For game play mechanics for MK9 I would like to see the following:

-Try to fix negative edge as much as possible. Make the inputs harder if you have to
-Stance change is useless, remove it
-D1/D4 should not be anti airs. There are ways to get out of crossups w/out it. If you are getting crossed up, you should be blocking anyway.
Punishable x-rays... aren't they already?

Fourth bar of meter though... ? EX, Breaker, X-ray... why would we need a 4th bar?

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Punishable x-rays... aren't they already?

Fourth bar of meter though... ? EX, Breaker, X-ray... why would we need a 4th bar?
Scorpion, Reptile, Raiden, Kitana X-rays all save. Some other X-Rays are safe too. I don't think it's right that you can do 36% safely on somebody, disagree w/that entirely

I would like to see a 4th bar personally, just for EX. I would do it as follows:

1 meter, EX
2 meter, EX
3 meter, combo breaker
4 meter, x-ray

meter is fine, any significant problems with meter are coming from how fast characters build it, and how worthwhile enhanced moves are
- Improve the input system and the negative edge buffer.

An example would be Kitana's d1 xx Cutter (down, forward 2). If Kitana is already holding the down button/direction because she is put in a block string and chooses to press down 1, the cancel into the special move will be non-existent. I presume this is because the down is not considered buffered for the special move, meaning Kitana actually has to dash or exit the crouching state then re-enter it, then again press d1 xx cutter.

By pressing down + 1 (or being in the crouch state), then rolling the arcade stick/pad to forward and pressing 2; The special move cancel should work without having to stand or dash or find intricate ways to allow this to work. Oftentimes you will see players press d1 to break up the pressure, then dash forward and press d1 xx cutter. I use Kitana as an example, but there are plenty of other examples where special move cancels could be improved.
Of all the instances you could choose of where the input system goes wrong, IMO you chose the one area where it really makes sense.

is it really impossible to cancel pokes after a buffered duck without dashing? afaik, its just harder next to what SSF4 allows. I always thought this was easily the most consistent part of the buffer system because you know for sure that you require an extra button press.