What's new

Need advice migrating to a stick

Hello all,

Need advice. I've bought myself a MadCatz SSFIV TE arcade stick and had my first go with it last night.

To be honest, its mostly been a smooth process.. after half an hour/around an hour I was pulling off basic BnB combo's with my 3 mains (SZ, Sektor, Ermac). However, I can't do it completely consistently like I could with the Xbox controller.

My questions are:

1) Do any of you who use an arcade stick have a preferred grip? I seem to have trouble dashing.
2) How do you place your right hand?
3) How do you block properly?

Stupid questions I know.. but its just so hard. I can BnB fine, but when it comes to dashing and blocking I go completely unco. My dashing is all over the place.. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My blocking hardly happens properly because my fingers are out of place during attacks.

Is it just practice that will get me there? I'm not going to give up.. I did toss up the idea of switching back to pad last night because I was getting destroyed online.. but I bit the bullet and kept attempting to use the stick.

I plan on giving it another go tonight.. any advice you can give would be great.

chem

BookBurning

Voidwards
Well first off it'd be helpful to post what kind of stick you're using but I use a Madcatz TE stick.

Honestly, you're going to feel uncomfortable on it for quite a long time. I was a pad player for many years before moving to stick and at first I hated it and wanted to just go back to pad. Luckily though, my pad ended up breaking and I was forced to use the stick. It took about a month or two to be honest until I was 100 percent converted to the stick.

As far as hand placement goes I mostly have my fingers idle on the top 3 buttons with my pinky on the very far, bottom left button. For block I use the RB button, or my ring finger, it feels the most natural. The stick itself I hold with my middle and pointer finger clawed around the ball top and my thumb resting on the top or the side depending on what I'm doing, basically I hold it pretty delicately. That was my natural grip though and I won't use anything else.

I honestly am a firm believer that what you naturally feel comfortable with while using an arcade stick is the best for you.

Well first off it'd be helpful to post what kind of stick you're using but I use a Madcatz TE stick.
..I did post that.. I also have a madcatz te stick :)

You know what.. I hadn't even thought about remapping the buttons... (RB for block).. awesome, thanks :D

Guess I'll either have to get used to hitting 1+3 for throwing, or maybe I'll just leave that mapped to RT and see how that goes.

Thanks BookBurning :)

chem

BookBurning

Voidwards
Sorry for not noticing you didn't post the stick, don't know how I missed that haha. My apologies man. :) And no problem.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
First of all, I only use six buttons (8 is dick :) ), it's easier and you'll have more finger for the button

1) I like to have the stick in between my middle and ring finger, and sometimes I use it between my pinky and ring finger (dunno why but sometimes I switch). Holding it like a wine glass. Holding it like this makes dashing quite easy (but it takes practise), as you can dash with my "pointing" finger (dash right) - and my thumb (dash left). Also try to make all the movements with your fingertips and a bit of the wrist, you'll have more control if your arm stays steady.

2)My hand is a bit angled to the left, so my hand covers all the buttons:

1 3 5
2 4 6

-first two buttons (1 and 2): you can use your thumb (X) and "pointing" finger (square).
-next two (3 and 4): middle finger
-last two (5 and 6): ring and pinky finger (ringfinger is easiest)

3)It depends on the button configuration you use. I use the regular MK, and my pinky or ringfinger is always touching the block button (6) because of the hand placement. Just lift the finger to unblock and lay it back down (as sanwa's are super sensitive compared to Il's) to block.

It's quite hard to explain, I guess you'll find some tutorials on Youtube if you look for 'm, but most of the learning happens with trail and error. Try to play different games on stick to get used to it. Once you developed the muscle memory for it it'll become easy...
Maybe someone can explain it better, I had to hold a stick just to explain this (after a while it's automatic).

BookBurning

Voidwards
First of all, I only use six buttons (8 is dick :) ), it's easier and you'll have more finger for the button

1) I like to have the stick in between my middle and ring finger, and sometimes I use it between my pinky and ring finger (dunno why but sometimes I switch). Holding it like a wine glass. Holding it like this makes dashing quite easy (but it takes practise), as you can dash with my "pointing" finger (dash right) - and my thumb (dash left). Also try to make all the movements with your fingertips and a bit of the wrist, you'll have more control if your arm stays steady.
2)My hand is a bit angled to the left, so my hand covers all the buttons:
-first two buttons (square and X): you can use your thumb (X) and "pointing" finger (square).
-next two (triangle and O): middle finger
-last two: ring and pinky finger
3)It depends on the button configuration you use. I use the regular MK, and my pinky or ringfinger is always touching the block button because of the hand placement. Just lift the finger to unblock and lay it back down (as sanwa's are super sensitive compared to Il's) to block.

It's quite hard to explain, I guess you'll find some tutorials on Youtube if you look for 'm, but most of the learning happens with trail and error. Try to play different games on stick to get used to it. Once you developed the muscle memory for it it'll become easy...
Maybe someone can explain it better, I had to hold a stick just to explain this (after a while it's automatic).
Yeah I could easily live with 6 but seriously having that extra button on my pinky feels nice for some reason.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
I find 1+3 quite inconsistent for throwing, I just try to use the third button from the top row (to the right).

And sorry I didn't use the xbox button names, I'll give it numbers....

Satan1

Ice Pirate
Yeah I could easily live with 6 but seriously having that extra button on my pinky feels nice for some reason.
Haha, then it's the opposite of me. After getting used to nothing under it, the 8 button layout on my TE feels strange, haha! I guess it's all personal, the best advice to novice stick users is just to use it as much as you can :)...

Fantastic! Thanks guys! :D

I'll have a go later tonight.. I'll try your suggestions Haze and see if that helps. If it doesn't feel good after an hour or so maybe I'll try remapping the buttons to what I keep stuffing up.. see if that helps.

Thanks again! :D

chem

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I use 6 buttons and i use ball top. I use what they call "no homo" grip....pinky and ringer finger go around the shaft of the stick and the thumb,index, and middle finger wrap around the tip.....WOW tht sounds so flamboyant haha!

pic of my stick:

I have a ssf4 te arcade stick modified with 6 30mm transparent seimetsu buttons, 2 24mm red seimtsu buttons and a red bubble seimetsu ball top.

Bat tops are nice for mk9 as well. I personally dnt like bat tops but some prefer it so if u got someone who has a bat top stick try it out. As far as buttons try sanwa or seimetsu see what u like.

Sanwa is a lot easier to do inputs with in sf4,mvc, etc. Nice for mk9 as well. Very sensitive but sometimes ull graze a button when u play and it will activate.

Seimetsu are a lot more structured and feel like there built to last. I prefer them for mk b/c they help with this game "negative edge" (which isnt rlly true negative edge)

but those 2 r the best companies for pushbuttons. Not one is better than the other just based on preference. If ur planning to get artwork in the future and want transparent buttons sanwa just recently made 30mm transparent pushbuttons in clear,blue,red and I believe green.

For all of your arcade needs go to this site http://www.lizardlick.com/

Great site to order parts from and they use paypal so your shit is safe and secure.

Also b4 I forget stick with square. IMO its superior than octo and circle gate.

Hope this helps.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
Just talking about sticks, shafts and tips... Try to explain that to a non stick user, haha!
Nice stick, dude. The artwork on the face and in the buttons really comes out nice!!

P.S.:found a nice tutorial video on the tube:

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Just talking about sticks, shafts and tips... Try to explain that to a non stick user, haha!
Nice stick, dude. The artwork on the face and in the buttons really comes out nice!!

P.S.:found a nice tutorial video on the tube:
its hard to teach someone how to use the stick b/c everyone uses it differently. Its to how the person feels comfortable using it. He just needs a video with all the different grips he can try out and he can figure out whats comfortable for him from there.

One more thing he needs to knw is tht he wnt be able to pick stick up right away. Its gonna take a while for him to adapt. Most people think a week is enough but it took me 3 mnths to perfect my use of the arcade stick so...yeah LOL

Awesome stuff.

I know its not going to happen overnight, and I'm willing to stick (<--- lol?) with it. I just want some suggestions of what I can try.. because it was feeling unbelievably awkward for certain stuff.. especially blocking.

chem

Satan1

Ice Pirate
There are some grip video's too, just look it up on the Tube. And like you said, it takes some work learning stickplay. Damn after all this talk I just need to play, firing up that PS3 as we speak!!

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Awesome stuff.

I know its not going to happen overnight, and I'm willing to stick (<--- lol?) with it. I just want some suggestions of what I can try.. because it was feeling unbelievably awkward for certain stuff.. especially blocking.

chem
what I do for blocking on stick I have my mk9 button layout like this

(1) (2) (thw)
(3) (4) (blk)

I end up blocking with my ringer finger. If ur also have trouble dashing and ur planing on using the no homo grip (lol) use the part of ur palm thts by the ball of the stick and tap it forward twice to dash. To back dash I use my thumb and tap to the left.

Hope this helps.

McNasty

Moist.
interesting subject I know this is my first game on stick and it has been ever evolving. Grip started out like I was playing a crane game at a pizza place then to a wine glass octo gate to square MK layout to SF all becomes irrelevant once you get comfortable with the system.

my buttons are like this

1 throw 2
3 block 4

Satan1

Ice Pirate
That was my very first MK9 button setup, dunno why I switched. It also worked good and it felt more like the oldskool MK layout. It would be cool if you could map two buttons for the same function, maybe then I would use a seven button layout, like this:

1 2 block throw
3 4 block

It would make some EX moves a tiny bit easier, but for now I'm quite ok with the standard settings. Funny thing is that if I play some MKII or UMK3 I always mess up because of the MK9 button setup (trying to uppercut and a high kick comes out :rant3:). I need to make me a traditional stick soon...

I basically started out on the PS3 pad for a month or so before switching to stick. I always wanted to just use stick since I've been using it for SFIV and Marvel so attempted it a few times before deciding that pad was more comfortable (mainly because I was not accustomed to an extra button for block on the stick). Then for whatever reason I decided to try stick once more and I never looked back.

My layout is:

1 2 Throw
3 4 Block

Basically the default.

I use my ring finger for block (basically keep it there), 1 + 3 for throwing never touching the throw button and all 3 bottom buttons for X-ray.

I could not get over how awkward dashing was with a stick, it was the primary reason I switched to a Hitbox. I see some players use a slightly underhanded grip to try and get around this (Daigo and Desk come to mind) since that lets you pull left quickly.

As for your right hand, the most important thing you can do is keep your wrist at a comfortable typing elevation so you don't damage the tendons or cause fatigue.

This has been fantastic. Just by asking this question my stick proficiency has increased a crapload!

I actually won a match as Ermac last night, lol!

chem

Tremloc

Noob
Me and McNasty go with a more traditional mk layout, mine's just a slightly modified version of McNasty's.

1 block 2
3 throw 4

I have my index, middle, and ring fingers across 1 block 2. So index = 1, middle = block, and ring = 2.

I usually either go with a underhand or claw grip. Underhanded I have the stick between my middle and ring fingers.

have fun!

My suggestion for a right handed layout is the following, keeping in mind I designed this to keep my thumb free for the jump button:

1 2 block throw
3 4 tag stance

This layout allows you to keep your ring finger on block at all times without needing to curl or extend it, decreasing reaction times and muscle strain. The key to putting stance on the 8th button is the fact that you can rest your little finger on it. In this position, you have an X-ray instantly available by pressing your third and fourth fingers with no movement required.

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
My button layout is:

(throw) (1) (2)
(block) (3) (4)

and my neutral position is:

(index) (middle) (ring)
(thumb) (nothin') (nothin')

That works really well for me. Using my thumb to block feels right. I've also switched from ball to bat top, which feels much better for dashes and other movements.