What's new

My thoughts and opinions on reptile. + sonya matchup help

GhosT

Noob
I don't have a lot of offline experience. I know dash is punished easier offline. With that said, I feel reptile is and can be top 5 when played at his peak. What do you all think? Dash is a great tool obviously for quick punishment. He doesn't need high low mixups, he can theoretically get into your head with 321, canceling it, using acid hand for chip, or invis here and there, and his overhead string is not useless as chris g shows at tournaments. My question is? Is he so much worse offline than online? aside from dash what is different?

I play sonya vs everyone now. and i hear about how the match ups in my favor, i don't doubt it, however i have an easier time facing kenshi freddy noob etc. kabal imo is the only matchup harder for me than reptile.

sure its most likely player not character. But all the tips and reasons i see for sonya winning 6-4 on reptile does not pan out in online matches. I try dive kicking acid balls. it does work. but only when reptile sucks and uses non ex acid ball at close range. which good reptiles tend to cook an ex slowball at that range. leaving him options because its safer, and if dive kick isn't perfectly timed ill hit the acid ball.

I look forward to playing some good reptiles in offline matches, just to compare how much of a problem he is for me online vs offline. Regardless the character he has been a pain to me since i quit maining him.. and i quit maining him because A. i hated the mirrors, and b the bandwagon got quite large at one point. (like sonyas is now).

Anyway those are my thoughts on reptile. i think he has the tools and ability to win tournaments, although i haven't been to one so don't blow me up for saying that, its just my thoughts, also if you have any tips on the matchup, more in depth strategy let me know. Kabal and reptile are tough for my sonya.

SOOO if anyone has advice for me, large or small i could really use it. Reptile is obviously a big problem for me. He has been one of my worse matchups regardless of who i have played. I have decide to stick with sonya, my one main, no alternate, just try and maximize one character, so any help would be sweet.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
reptile top five? nah he has way too many bad matchups
sonya
liu kang
kung lao
sub zero
cyber sub
freddy
mileena
kano

some are debatable but this is my opinion

others that could posssibly be bad are jax and jc

GhosT

Noob
I hear you, but I'm not wanting to debate a top five.. there plenty of thread out there to do that.. I just wanted to say why i think he is a solid character... Does anyone have any advice in the sonya matchup? I know she does well at fullscreen with the speed of ring shot. but specifically. what should i do when being advanced by reptile who is running at me behind his ex slow acid ball? This along with the fact that reptile can rush you down, then run away and zone whenever he wants is what is making the matchup hard for me.

GhosT

Noob
Im gonna crash out for the night, got work early... ; (

but please any reptile players feel free to share what sonya players have done to give you a hard time. as well as sonya players who have have sucesss in this matchup. It kils me because i know its in MY favor yet i still struggle. Any help i get will appreciated. Ill get with you on tapatalk tomorrow :D

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Well, for starters. You can divekick Forceballs for a full combo, ring toss outzones reptile hard, EX cartwheel blows up almost everything.

And the biggest problem for reptile is that his normals are slow, his fastest normal is 8 frames and he has to dash, which is full combo punishable, to get out.

GhosT

Noob
the force ball dive kick idea works up close, but the better reptiles i play don't play that game, because they know. Same with dash punishment, I catch reptile dashing when i expect it and its an easy punish, i think the matchup woes are more online related. So when you get reptile jumping to counter cartwheels... I'm going to need to be able to read that and AA into 112?

Seems like its mostly on my end.. If any of you TYM reptile players would want to play me a few matches and give me more advice on why I'm losing this matchup that might help. It may be a major player flaw on my end that one of you could point out.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Most Reptile players like to create a Slow/Fast Forceball from full screen then Dash for a jip... Sonya can njp, try to win the air to air, AA his jip/jik, Arc Kick. Far as zoning she can keep up with spamming her Pink Ring Toss from full screen and AA his jump in. Arc Kick if timed right can mess up him creating a Forceball midscreen reach. A blocked Elbow Dash? Sonya can Dive Kick combo/114 combo punish. Deal with Reptile's D4? Ex Cartwheel armor through it, blocked it or blocked his D1/D3 pokes? Dive Kick. Sonya has an answer for everything Reptile does. The only thing he can do is "try" to outzone her and play random.

GhosT

Noob
Most Reptile players like to create a Slow/Fast Forceball from full screen then Dash for a jip... Sonya can njp, try to win the air to air, AA his jip/jik, Arc Kick. Far as zoning she can keep up with spamming her Pink Ring Toss from full screen and AA his jump in. Arc Kick if timed right can mess up him creating a Forceball midscreen reach. A blocked Elbow Dash? Sonya can Dive Kick combo/114 combo punish. Deal with Reptile's D4? Ex Cartwheel armor through it, blocked it or blocked his D1/D3 pokes? Dive Kick. Sonya has an answer for everything Reptile does. The only thing he can do is "try" to outzone her and play random.
Yeah, i think i just need to work at it more, thanks for the tips.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
reptile top five? nah he has way too many bad matchups
sonya
liu kang
kung lao
sub zero
cyber sub
freddy
mileena
kano

some are debatable but this is my opinion

others that could posssibly be bad are jax and jc
Reptile's only disadvantage matchups are Sonya, Freddy, Kenshi, and Jax.

None of them are worse than 4-6.

THTB

Is Mileena no longer a bad match? Also I think Sub is 5-5. D'you agree?
It's really not bad. Ever since I reevaluated how to play that matchup, I've never come across a Mileena that made me feel the matchup was hard. This is including Death (Best Mileena I've played).

Sub is definitely 5-5. Armor on slide saves Reptile from losing this matchup due to Sub's freeze buff. Sub has to clone all the time to keep Reptile from walking all over him and it kills the respect factor...I know it's coming.

NKZero

Noob
It's really not bad. Ever since I reevaluated how to play that matchup, I've never come across a Mileena that made me feel the matchup was hard. This is including Death (Best Mileena I've played).

Sub is definitely 5-5. Armor on slide saves Reptile from losing this matchup due to Sub's freeze buff. Sub has to clone all the time to keep Reptile from walking all over him and it kills the respect factor...I know it's coming.
Yeah you're right. Also Reptile outzones Sub Zero so the only place Sub is winning is the corner and even then he has to respect EX slide. Btw if you 212-clone, can Reptile still produce a force ball without getting frozen? Can he spit?

Seapeople

This one's for you
Yeah you're right. Also Reptile outzones Sub Zero so the only place Sub is winning is the corner and even then he has to respect EX slide. Btw if you 212-clone, can Reptile still produce a force ball without getting frozen? Can he spit?
He can ex slide any projectile on reaction to put you into the clone. Once Sub gets you to this corner this match is like 7-3 lol, but overall it's probably 5-5.

NKZero

Noob
He can ex slide any projectile on reaction to put you into the clone. Once Sub gets you to this corner this match is like 7-3 lol, but overall it's probably 5-5.
Yeah man I know that but I was wondering whether Reptile could pull it off with the clone being so close. Maybe the animations of either the force ball or spit would get him frozen?

Seapeople

This one's for you
Yeah man I know that but I was wondering whether Reptile could pull it off with the clone being so close. Maybe the animations of either the force ball or spit would get him frozen?
I'm not sure about spit but I doubt it. The forceballs definitely don't freeze him.

THTB

If you have a bar he has to respect you a lot. If he sits there, you can EX forceball and run off clone clock or bait out EX slide. If he attacks, EX slide.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
thanks to MK kobra i have had a looooooooooooooooot of practice against that characteer and have a whole new understanding of the matchup

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
When Reptile and Sub Zero both EX slide into each other the disc flies out of your system and explodes in mid air. I seen it!
lol has it ever happened to you that you both do it at the same time and then it pushes you back into a clone... my xbox exploded

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Is rather slam my Dick in a door than play against sub. Watch me vs. Soonk at summerslam. The most boring shit I've ever been a part of in my life.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, I play that MU pretty regularly. God is it boring. Rivals Sub mirrors and the JC vs SZ MU. SZ is just a boring dude, I don't get why people enjoy playing him. I mean, if he hit hard like Ermac, okay...but he hits like a damn tricycle.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Yeah, I play that MU pretty regularly. God is it boring. Rivals Sub mirrors and the JC vs SZ MU. SZ is just a boring dude, I don't get why people enjoy playing him. I mean, if he hit hard like Ermac, okay...but he hits like a damn tricycle.
I usually jump over to Kano for sub matches, not because he fares better than Baraka, but because I can at least chuck enough knives at him to force him to rush me down lol.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I usually jump over to Kano for sub matches, not because he fares better than Baraka, but because I can at least chuck enough knives at him to force him to rush me down lol.
I need to just play Kenshi like everybody else. I think the opponent simply hovering over Kenshi after someone's selected Sub Zero is enough of a psychological factor to make them quickly de-select the character and play someone else lol. Whaddya think WayoftheFist ?