What's new

Video/Tutorial - Quan Chi "My MKX Quan Chi time!" @ London Comic-Con by ENDeverMORE

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I had a go with Quan Chi earlier today. Here's a few extras:

1. The MB variation of rune can be blocked, it just hits low. I'm not sure if you can hitconfirm it into a trance before they hit the ground, my gut feeling tells me that they'll hit the ground before you can get the move out. As it stands, the second hit does a pretty large chunk of damage though, although I'm certain that's because we're on a preview build. RIP Rune Trap.

2. When you stand in his D,D,1 aura, your Skulls become purple, draining the opponents lifebar when hit by a skull. They take the initial damage from the skull as normal, but then their health will start to tick down. Currently it does not buff trance or sky drop, but again, that could be because we're no way near on a final build.

3. Quan Chi's skydrop takes a while to actually start up. But you can instant air it to almost half the start up time, he also lands faster than he did in MK9. MB variation has armour on startup. Instant air D,B,4 is a very easy motion to pull off thankfully, as I was having no trouble reacting to Mustard's projectiles. Only issue is that currently it has a very very awkward hitbox on it, and he has no invulnerability of any kind and can be hit by almost anything on the way down. I was actually grabbed by an interactable grab before I landed on my opponent, which was hilarious! But almost a little upsetting. Again, this could always be just because of a preview build.

4. You can cancel a run into a normal or string. So although you can't dash cancel or cancel a normal into run, you can do it the other way round. Which meant I was able to get a knockdown from Fullscreen MB Rune and then close the gap with a run into a B3 on their wakeup. Running is incredibly fast in this game, but I can't see it being used as a hyper aggressive tool, more of a tool to close the gap and get some pressure as the opponent stands up, provided they don't wakeup attack you.
It seems like some matches could look like umk3 games with run cancels into pokes etc.

I think its really cool that you can punish a whiffed move with long recovery from almost 3/4? Of screen!

Footsies are gonna be fun and annoying at once haha.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Can you call spell circles while an opponent is in trance?
At the moment, yeah but I wasn't able to get anything past it due to the startup time. I could be wrong, But I wasn't able to do any substantial combo ender AND get a spell cast at the same time. You can use it to end combos though, so the opponent stands up with you in your circle.

PND_Ketchup

One other thing that I noticed that I'm not sure has really been mentioned yet:

Walk speed for most characters is incredibly fast, with crouching also being way faster. The game is just a faster pace in general, but you can play more solid footsies back and forth due to how fast your characters actually walk. You can specifically place yourself anywhere at any time, rather than having to either dash block or slowly walk/jump into that position. It feels more precise, which is awesome!

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
It seems like some matches could look like umk3 games with run cancels into pokes etc.

I think its really cool that you can punish a whiffed move with long recovery from almost 3/4? Of screen!

Footsies are gonna be fun and annoying at once haha.
i also like that breakers require 2 meters AND full stamina bar so your opponent can't just get a free breaker like in mk9 after running/interactables.

One other thing that I noticed that I'm not sure has really been mentioned yet:

Walk speed for most characters is incredibly fast, with crouching also being way faster. The game is just a faster pace in general, but you can play more solid footsies back and forth due to how fast your characters actually walk. You can specifically place yourself anywhere at any time, rather than having to either dash block or slowly walk/jump into that position. It feels more precise, which is awesome!
i figured they wouldn't do that since we have run now, but sounds cool. btw, was there any difference between regular trance and EX trance?

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Thx guys all these information are pretty interesting. I will test him during 5hours tomorrow evening so I can verify things.

I will test the game during all the week end as well so if the quanchi community wana ask me to check things deeper please let me know ;)

I cant fucking wait !!!

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
3. Quan Chi's skydrop takes a while to actually start up. But you can instant air it to almost half the start up time...
And I wonder why NRS keep doing that because basically it just means that there's "right" way to input special and "wrong" one. No decision making here it seems. What they are trying to achieve?

IA projectiles at least make some sense logically other than being "execution tax", this one... I don't think there is.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
And I wonder why NRS keep doing that because basically it just means that there's "right" way to input special and "wrong" one. No decision making here it seems. What they are trying to achieve?

IA projectiles at least make some sense logically other than being "execution tax", this one... I don't think there is.
Because you may want/need to cancel the move for a combo/setup. For example, MMH's IA teleport is way faster but he needs to cancel into the regular teleport to continue some combos.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Because you may want/need to cancel the move for a combo/setup. For example, MMH's IA teleport is way faster but he needs to cancel into the regular teleport to continue some combos.
If you really need cancelable TP to be slower, then you could specifically make it slower if it is canceled into. And yeah, it's fair that such need may arise.
When you don't use it like that however, you will almost always have to push additional button, otherwise you will be penalized for not inputting right.

It's not that braindead when it comes to armored one, but it's another move entirely.

So the circle that absorbs projectiles. Is Sub-zero's iceblast a projectile? What about him throwing his icelone (in that variation). Will it absorb that ?

And with the circle absorbing 1 hit, I can really see it destroy sub-zero's slide.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
yeah i don't like the instant air teleport from quan either. especially if it's a one frame thing. and sub's ice ball and clone should be projectiles.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
if the armour circle give one hit of armour, it'll go through anything
it should no armour going off in the trailer, but things changes, and things will still change.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
true. but i really liked the idea of projectile invincible and armored for physical attacks since the circle has a lot of startup. if quan uses it full screen against someone using projectiles, not like he can do much except throw skulls. but i do like the idea of knockdown setups with it. we'll see how it turns out.

PND_Ketchup

Quan's green spell doesn't give him projectile immunity, it gives him armor that will absorb any single hit, even in the air.

This has been mentioned multiple times in the thread, lol.

PND_Ketchup

I spent 3 years instant air teleporting with Sektor, it'll just separate those with good execution from those with not so good execution.

It's piss easy to do anyway, just jump and instantly do your B,D,4. Nothing hard about that!

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
Quan's green spell doesn't give him projectile immunity, it gives him armor that will absorb any single hit, even in the air.

This has been mentioned multiple times in the thread, lol.
yeah you kind of said it, but kind of didn't. i'm just trying to figure out if it's like what we saw in his trailer or not. sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get a little info out of you guys :p

I spent 3 years instant air teleporting with Sektor, it'll just separate those with good execution from those with not so good execution.

It's piss easy to do anyway, just jump and instantly do your B,D,4. Nothing hard about that!
not saying it is impossible, but why would you want to do UDB4 when you could just do DB4? and then if you botch the timing, it's just a regular teleport anyways. all it is is a chore really.

PND_Ketchup

yeah you kind of said it, but kind of didn't. i'm just trying to figure out if it's like what we saw in his trailer or not. sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get a little info out of you guys :p

not saying it is impossible, but why would you want to do UDB4 when you could just do DB4? and then if you botch the timing, it's just a regular teleport anyways. all it is is a chore really.
MEN FROM DA BOYZ INIT

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
MEN FROM DA BOYZ INIT
Erm?..

On topic, my problem is that indeed, you never need neutral grounded teleport because it's simply bad version of IATP. Funny, because when NRS creates abundance of useless normals it's bad design, but when they do this it's somehow ok.

I mean, okay, we can live with this, but the question what does that really add to the game is left open.

PND_Ketchup

Erm?..

On topic, my problem is that indeed, you never need neutral grounded teleport because it's simply bad version of IATP. Funny, because when NRS creates abundance of useless normals it's bad design, but when they do this it's somehow ok.

I mean, okay, we can live with this, but the question what does that really add to the game is left open.
I still don't see the problem.

If you can't do something as simple as an instant air teleport, NRS games may not be for you, haha.

The speed of the regular teleport means it's easier to combo into bear in mind. If sektors teleport was the same speed as his instant air on its own, half his combos wouldn't work. The same will most likely apply here.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I still don't see the problem.
That there is a useless move you never need, but that takes space on input charts - something that could be used for actually useful moves. Like, similar but faster one we are talking about.

If you can't do something as simple as an instant air teleport, NRS games may not be for you, haha.
Whether I can or cannot do it doesn't change the fact that the inferior one is redundant.

The speed of the regular teleport means it's easier to combo into bear in mind. If sektors teleport was the same speed as his instant air on its own, half his combos wouldn't work. The same will most likely apply here.
1. TP you cancel into can be slower if it's necessary, it's neutral ones I have problem with.
2. Combos can be adjusted.
3. Faster move can be made slower by waiting before inputting it if you really want neutral TP in a combo (for canceled into off string see above), but not vica versa.

In conclusion, my personal opinion is that while FGs are invariably reliant on execution, I still believe that effect interface has on gameplay should ideally be minimized. When something is hard to execute, it should be for gameplay reasons (you need to press buttons fast and precisely when your character is supposed to fit a lot of moves into a small time window, there's no way around that) and not because devs decided to arbitrary add inputs where they aren't needed to represent player's decision making ("let's make it b2u3d3 instead of b233 regardless of that not changing anything").

PND_Ketchup

That there is a useless move you never need, but that takes space on input charts - something that could be used for actually useful moves. Like, similar but faster one we are talking about.

Whether I can or cannot do it doesn't change the fact that the inferior one is redundant.

1. TP you cancel into can be slower if it's necessary, it's neutral ones I have problem with.
2. Combos can be adjusted.
3. Faster move can be made slower by waiting before inputting it if you really want neutral TP in a combo (for canceled into off string see above), but not vica versa.

In conclusion, my personal opinion is that while FGs are invariably reliant on execution, I still believe that effect interface has on gameplay should ideally be minimized. When something is hard to execute, it should be for gameplay reasons (you need to press buttons fast and precisely when your character is supposed to fit a lot of moves into a small time window, there's no way around that) and not because devs decided to arbitrary add inputs where they aren't needed to represent player's decision making ("let's make it b2u3d3 instead of b233 regardless of that not changing anything").
It just seems like a relatively pointless complaint to have. Nobody has a problem with it except you.

It's like you just want everything to be easy. Motions like instant air and movement directions in combo strings are not remotely hard to pull off, and clearly make no difference in a competitive match. So why does it need to be made easier when in fact, it was never NOT easy to begin with?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
It's like you just want everything to be easy. Motions like instant air and movement directions in combo strings are not remotely hard to pull off, and clearly make no difference in a competitive match. So why does it need to be made easier when in fact, it was never NOT easy to begin with?
Well, exactly because it does not make a difference (even for tricky positioning up is always up), so why does it need to be more complicated? We don't add command normals before we run out of "naked" button inputs, similarly NRS guys don't have a habit of adding more complicated inputs before they are out of standard (for their games) QCMs... Except when they do for no apparent reason. That confuses the heck out of me.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
lol omg is this a hard concept to grasp? i already said, IA teleport is not difficult as opposed to regular teleport being easy, it's a chore. you know what i mean, jellybean? i don't know what's going on with him. i had to ask like 5 times about the armor on quan's green aura before i got the answer i was looking for.

anyways, i like that it seems nrs is cutting down on these unnecessary complicated inputs, with strings anyway. in injustice, it was like b2u3, b2d3, f22u1, etc. and my most hated dbf motions. most of quan's strings start with a F direction, but that's about it.

PND_Ketchup

lol omg is this a hard concept to grasp? i already said, IA teleport is not difficult as opposed to regular teleport being easy, it's a chore. you know what i mean, jellybean? i don't know what's going on with him. i had to ask like 5 times about the armor on quan's green aura before i got the answer i was looking for.

anyways, i like that it seems nrs is cutting down on these unnecessary complicated inputs, with strings anyway. in injustice, it was like b2u3, b2d3, f22u1, etc. and my most hated dbf motions. most of quan's strings start with a F direction, but that's about it.
But it isn't a chore, it's easy :DOGE

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
But it isn't a chore, it's easy :DOGE
You still haven't answered why having udb4 as to-go input is more rational than db4 :p

Speaking of air tele btw, you mentioned that quan can be snatched from the air while he goes down. Did you mean it happened after reappearing above opponent's head or while tele's startup (he kind of goes down during that too IIRC)?