What's new

My first tourney experience.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Well, I finally did it. I attended my first offline tournament. What an amazing experience. Im going to try and give a summary of my experience. This tournament was held at the Play n Trade in Smithtown, NY. It was about a 45 min drive there.I actually lived in Smithtown for 24 years and this was my first time back there in about 10 years.
Im going to break this up into two sections, Street Fighter 4 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Lets start with SF4 first.

Street Fighter 4.
I got there early and hung out in the store talking and bullshitting with people, everyone was nice, and there was alot of talk about what SSF4 will be like. After awhile we all got brought downstairs and casuals begun.
I played about 5 or 6 different people during casuals. The vibe was chill and everyone had a good time. I won a few, I lost a few but they were all good matches, and I hit a bunch of Srk>FADC>Ultras which seem to still evoke oohs and aahs lol.
Then the tourney started. My first match was against Javits, a very good Ryu player. Also my first match EVER and they put me on the station being streamed! Talk about instant mental gaurd break. I choked.....and I choked BAD! Not to say Javits wouldnt have beaten me even if I hadnt choked....because he would have, hes just better than me. But dammit that one round woulda been mine if I hadnt have been so damn nervous and botched that FADC, Ultra.(Ive practiced those a billion times and I almost never botch them) But I was shaking like a leaf and I screwed it up lol. I wasnt that mad at myself though. That first match is an experience everyone needs to have, and now I got it over with.....so moving on.

So now im in the losers bracket. My next match was aginst a Zangief player.(I forget his name, but he was a nice guy) He was good, very good....but not Aure good. And Ive had to many matches against Aure to fall for a Zangief of a lesser level than his. Although he did get a round on me. I won fairly easily. YAY!

My next match was against a Dhalsim player.(again I forget his name) Now Dhalsim is a matchup I have very little experience with. Nevertheless this was my favorite of all the matches I had. And even though I lost, the hype going on around this fight was awesome. We were so evenly matched. Every match went the full 3 rounds, every round was down to the health wire and we went the full 3 matches. It was truly an adrenaline rush The last round of the last match we were both down to a drop of health and he scored with the dreaded jumping fierce. This ended my SF4 part of the tourney.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

First let me say that 9.95 and Shock are 2 of the most chill,down to earth dudes I could ever have had the priviledge of meeting. Both are really easy going, laid back guys and are eager to share they're knowledge about a game they are diehard passionate about. Now Ive never played UMK3 before tonight, but I have to say...I was instantly smitten with the game. The intensity factor of this game is through the roof! If you guys saw some of the shit I saw Shock pull off tonight, your jaws would be on the floor right now...Thats how good he is. Its like he has UMK3 encoded in his DNA.
So at first I goofed around trying to get the feel of the game and played some random casuals and surprisingly I didnt do that bad. And even though I didnt really know what I was doing, I was having alot of fun doing it.

UMK3 tournament.
My first match.(I forget his name) This guy had even less of an idea what he was doing than I did.(If you can believe that lol) I beat him 2-0 pretty easily.

My 2nd match was against someone who clearly knew how to play the game well(Sweet Johnny Cage I think his name was) He juggled me from pillar to post. Essentially he took me to school. And yet somehow I managed to take 1 round off him(dont ask me how lol) This sent me to the losers bracket.

Then I played some casuals with Shock and he showed me run jabs and some combos and a few mixups and tricks. I would need them for my next match

My third and final match was against Iloveyou Joe, (a well known name here on Long Island) Surprisingly I wasnt nervous. I wasnt concerned with winning really, I was just having a good time. Joe is a monster at UMK 3 and he beat me from one end of the stage to another. There was never a question he was going to win. But I must add,yet again, surprisingly, I got a round off of him.( Im as amazed as you are lol) Over all I had a good time and the game is sick as hell.

The grand finals came down to Iloveyou Joe vs. Shock. This match was epic. The absolute highest level of play you could ever hope to see. I cant even describe it because my knowledge of the game is to limited to even try and explain it. But it was amazing to see. The series was very very close. But as good as Joe is, Shocks command of UMK3 is absolute. He knows everything there is to know. Shock won 4-3.

This brought my first tourney experience to an end. I had a great time. Meeting 9.95 and Shock was the highpoint. And since 9.95 lives only 5 min from me hes going to train me in the way of the warrior in UMK3. Ive already ordered an AIAB stick just like the beautiful sticks they were using there tonight.

I now understand what Bone, Juggs, Tim Static and others have been saying all this time about tournaments. And though I always agreed with them. It was more out of logic than experience. Now ive experienced it.

So for all of you who choose to sit on your couch and play online. You have NO idea what your missing out on.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Sounds like you had a great time, Rob.

Hopefully you guys start using the matchmaking forum to organize casuals.

Tournaments are really fun, its sad to hear some people were no show.

Sounds like you had a really good time. UMK3, as well as most other games, is VERY different in an offline tournament setting, so I'm glad you got to experience it for yourself. Online is always a fun alternative, but offline is where it's at!

Tim Static

Adminerator
awesome Rob. Awesome.

Now you understand why I rep UMK3 so hard lol

Shock is an awesome bro, and as I call him, Professor UMK3. :D Glad you had such a great time. Now you got a taste!

Noob
Rob, it was a pleasure meeting you... I'm really glad you took the time to come and experience your first tournament. I'm definitely looking forward to chilling and getting some UMK3 going... we're gonna have a good time training together. Every so ofter, we also all go out to summoning's house in NJ and chill with him, Shock and a few others and just do it up in UMK3 for a LONG time. I'm hoping you're thinking about going to Winter Brawl in Philly... if this tournament got your blood flowing, wait till you see how insane something the size of NEC or Winter Brawl is.

It's a shame we don't have more of the LI scene showing up though... I'm glad we have another one in our ranks of offline tourney supporters though... especially in this day and age of online keyboard cowboys.... it's all about showing up to put up or shut up.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Rob, it was a pleasure meeting you... I'm really glad you took the time to come and experience your first tournament. I'm definitely looking forward to chilling and getting some UMK3 going... we're gonna have a good time training together. Every so ofter, we also all go out to summoning's house in NJ and chill with him, Shock and a few others and just do it up in UMK3 for a LONG time. I'm hoping you're thinking about going to Winter Brawl in Philly... if this tournament got your blood flowing, wait till you see how insane something the size of NEC or Winter Brawl is.

It's a shame we don't have more of the LI scene showing up though... I'm glad we have another one in our ranks of offline tourney supporters though... especially in this day and age of online keyboard cowboys.... it's all about showing up to put up or shut up.
By any chance, are you coming to Evo?

Noob
Just wanna give props to Rob tonight... he dropped over by me to get the setup for UMK3 on MAME, and we went over some basic combos on the phone. He was consistently hitting some of HSmoke's bread and butter combos consistently and beginning to hit some of the harder combos with some consistency as well.

Ladies and Gentlemen, a new fighter has entered the battle!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just wanna give props to Rob tonight... he dropped over by me to get the setup for UMK3 on MAME, and we went over some basic combos on the phone. He was consistently hitting some of HSmoke's bread and butter combos consistently and beginning to hit some of the harder combos with some consistency as well.

Ladies and Gentlemen, a new fighter has entered the battle!
HUMAN SMOKE!! GOGOGOGOGO!!!

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
That depends on funds... unfortunately I'm unemployed and don't have the money, but who knows by then? That's honestly a bridge that I'll have to cross when I come to it.
Same here man. I'm trying to figure out how im gonna make it to both, Evolution and Comic Con.

And I am a poor boy who needs a good stick to level his game up =[

=[
I remember when I told you Gunz had text me that I won Rob's TE off the raffle and you immediately checked your cell phone... :D Too funny dude! LOL!

MK9

Noob
human smoke is better than the rest, which is why you use him. i don't see you using kano or classic sub

land hk, lp 2 times rd over.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
human smoke is better than the rest, which is why you use him. i don't see you using kano or classic sub

land hk, lp 2 times rd over.
I can use whoever, but I main Human Smoke.

I don't see your point though.

Noob
LOL, Rob, don't listen to anyone on who to main... Vids also likes to use Kabal. Sorry Vids...had to goof on ya for that one since you call me a tier whore...LOL...all in good fun though, I always have a great time when you come down to play, and you def shoulda placed higher in the tourney, it's a shame you had to leave. Can't wait to play you again at Winter Brawl. Now if I could only get LI Maverick here again to continue that Castle Golf rivalry you guys had...LOL

of course, I will say this, MKVids has one of the best USubs out there, no doubt about that... the man's got skills with him.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I almost want an all training setup added to the tournaments so I can help out new players and talk shit out while others play casuals.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I almost want an all training setup added to the tournaments so I can help out new players and talk shit out while others play casuals.
Great Idea Shock. If you wanted Id be happy to bring my laptop to Winter brawl. Its not 2 big(15 inch HD screen) so it wouldnt take up much space and it could be the "training setup".