What's new

My attempt at a Raiden Guide

SubZeroIce

Runway
I am new to this whole creating a guide, but here is one i made for MKOnline's Raiden thread, which i thought could be pretty useful here as well.
:china:

Raiden is an excellent Character. I main him in this new game, so i know a few things about him. He does supply great mix-up and very damage dealing combos. His main game is Mix-Up, Corner traps, and Teleporting.

Mix-Up:

Try doing 3,3,4 which is still a bit safe on block and dash forward and throw. If opponent is jumpy, after 3,3,4, immediately jump and do the jump Kick into Electric fly. Now that b+3,1,2 isn't as safe as it used to be, I wouldn't use it unless the opponent doesn't have fast reflexes. The best Mix-Up Raiden has, is after connecting Electric, when the opponent falls down near the end of it, Do it again IMMEDIATELY after the opponent lands. Then, you will land right next to the fallen opponent as they are getting up and will whiff the attack. A smart opponent would block obviously, however, when the attack whiffs, you mix it up with a throw.

Corner Traps:

This is Raiden's game. Its easy as hell to get the opponent to the corner, all one has to do is do the electric fly, followed by a combo or two. Maybe even Teleport. Once in the corner, Raiden can do some insane damage. Best combo to do is 3,3,4, *slight pause* 3,3,4 *Slight pause* 3,3, Electric grab,*Once attack is done* 3,3 [Or 2,2,], electric fly. This combo itself does somewhere around 39-43% if my memory serves me correct. You can also add the X-Ray at the end instead of Electric Fly to add 4-6% more. Another good thing to do in the corner is after you are done with your corner combo, check what the opponent does. If they try to jump out, take note, and next time they are in the corner, do the jump kick into electric fly combo to keep them in the corner and force them to do something else. If attack offensively (Ermac and Mileena) then try to block the incoming attack and do your combo again. If They block, dash and throw. HOWEVER, THIS WON'T BE AS EFFECTIVE UNLESS YOU BLOCK THE FIRST TIME.

Teleporting:

This is Raiden's main game for mix-up and zoning. After doing a Mid screen combo, end it with electric fly if possible. Then, you have three smart choices. One, Block if or in case your opponent does something. Two, Shoot a spark. I would do this in general because you have time to block if the opponent tries to counter it with their projectile or your opponent does a Teleporting attack if they have one. They will usually be forced to block it, so I would just go ahead and shoot another one, UNLESS THEY HAVE X-RAY AND IT IS SCORPION, SMOKE, JADE, REPTILE, NOOB, BARAKA, or SHEEVA (lol). And Third, teleport. Teleporting behinding him leaves great opportunities because the opponent will be blocking unless they were in the middle of an attack. The thing you should do is 2,2, b+4. That starts as a normal attack, but switches to a low attack. Another time to teleport is after the opponent shoots a projectile. Then you can go behind and them and begin a lengthy combo, starting with b+3,1,2. Another time to teleport behind them is when they have knocked you down. Then you can go behind them and throw them, while they would probably be waiting for you to spam the electric fly. Or just go behind them and uppercut or sweep to knock them down and continue your mix-up.

Combos:

B+3,1,2, Dash, B+3, 1, Electric throw, *When attack is done* 3,3,4, electric fly.

3,3,4, Teleport, f+2, Electric throw, *When attack is done* 2, Vicinity Blast, Dash, 2, Electric fly.

3,3,4, Teleport, f+2, Electric throw, 2, Vicinity Blast, 3,3, Electric Fly [or X-Ray]

Corner Combos:

3,3,4, *slight pause* 3,3,4 *Slight pause* 3,3, Electric grab,*Once attack is done* 3,3 [Or 2,2,], electric fly [or X-Ray].

3,3,4 Vicinity Blast, 3,3,4, *Slight Pause* 3,3, Electric Grab, *Once Attack is done* 3,3, [or 2,2], Electric Fly [X-Ray]

3,3,4, 4, Electric Grab, 3,3,4, 1,2, Electric fly [or 2, X-Ray]

If anyone wants the damage for the combos i posted, I can supply them, but until someone does, i dont think i'll put it up, cause i would have to open the game and go to training to check!

hey this was an awesome starting point for me, i will add you later so you can show me some raiden stuff. i have also tried the b3,1,2,dash,b3,2,grab,3,3,4, elec fly but the 3,3,4 always knocks them down so that elec fly whiffs, so i just do b3,2 xx elec fly. anyway, how do you play raiden? i have a rushdown mentality but im not finding my sweet spot for raiden yet.

edit:wrong inputs, fixed

A problem I'm having with Raiden is that all his BnB strings seem to take forever to start, even though they are relative safe on BLK. He doesn't seem to have any good combo starters off a quick 1. And basically it seems people can just guard high and best you can get for damage is a cr.1 after the overhead string ends.

I guess what would be helpful here is some strats how and when to fire off these strings. 3,3,4 I seem to always get punished before i even get it out.

Loot

the special effects
Just some input:

Ending a combo with 334 superman is unsafe if you input superman too quickly and Raiden can be punished by a full combo. Until the patch drops on the 360 (if it hasn't already) after a blocked 334 a cr.1 is a nearly guaranteed poke on the majority of the cast if they try to to do anything. B312 can be elbow dashed by Reptile so that string is pretty unsafe versus him. Your best meterless corner combo is one I posted the other day:

I can't for the life of me pull off his teleport combos. I've never hit it.
Is it after the TP or after the shocker that is giving you problems?

You need to buffer the TP during the 3,3,4 string. TP will cancel off the last 4. Then as soon as you get to the other side f2, qcf 2.

The timing after the shocker is definitely tight. Much easier to hit 2, qcb2 than 3,3,4. But 3,3,4, does more damage.

That is actually a ground bounce after 3, 3, 4. So you actually have a good amount of time to land the fly.
its not a ground bounce by the time my combo ends. im doing it over and over in training.

im doing b312xxdash, b31xxgrab, 334xx superman but the superman keeps whiffing, koz they end up in untechable knockdown after 334. am i missing something?

Is it after the TP or after the shocker that is giving you problems?

You need to buffer the TP during the 3,3,4 string. TP will cancel off the last 4. Then as soon as you get to the other side f2, qcf 2.

The timing after the shocker is definitely tight. Much easier to hit 2, qcb2 than 3,3,4. But 3,3,4, does more damage.
Basically the whole teleporting part. I can get over there but never get the hits in. Should everything be fluid and fast? Or is there a beat you have to wait after teleporting.

Basically the whole teleporting part. I can get over there but never get the hits in. Should everything be fluid and fast? Or is there a beat you have to wait after teleporting.
after you tele to the other side pause for a moment as his whole body shows up, then push f2xxelec grab

Loot

the special effects
its not a ground bounce by the time my combo ends. im doing it over and over in training.

im doing b312xxdash, b31xxgrab, 334xx superman but the superman keeps whiffing, koz they end up in untechable knockdown after 334. am i missing something?
You're better off doing b312 dash 2~shocker 334 superman. 35% and relatively easy, just like I mentioned before, don't input superman too fast or it becomes blockable.

I personally stick to 334~tele shocker b312 superman midscreen though. b312 can be punished on block by certain characters whereas 334 is 100% safe for now.

Albo

Noob
I've made a flowchart for Raiden online beginners :)
http://i.imgur.com/6lKTA.png
that is absoloute genius.XD

feels great to finallys stop lurking around the site and start contributing. correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't raidens f+2,4 have frame advanatge and is safe on block. i use it all the time and you can also link a superman staright after it. in the corner you can also do D+1 and shocker staright after, but because of the strict timing on the shocker after the low jab ia very, very difficult to pull off. it allows for a range of combos after the shocker of course. also his 2,2, B+4 is great as it ends on a low hit and when your bored of sweeps and grabs you can use this just mix things up a bit.

Loot

the special effects
For linking D1 after F24, I simply plink the down and 1 rather than push both at at the same time. Makes the shocker cancel far easier.

goodone

Noob
What are some ways you guys usually open up for combos? With xbl lag im kind of having trouble doing 334 and just getting sniped out of block. this is only really noticable when the other person has bad lag though, my connection is very solid

strat im using now is to just change up my tele follow up with either a combo right after (almost always to punish a slow projectile or something), hop over and punch into a 334-teleshocker-334-fly if im lucky, or tele in and grab but outside of getting combos rolling after a tele I cant seem to get combos out when I want. b4 when placed at the right time trips them up but they seem to block even if i do a combo directly after. any ideas?

Struggling with above as well.

It seems like all Raiden's best combo starters have so much delay and you can easily get hit out of them before they start with other characters 1's.

And its not just online, I experience this offline as well.

- Sent from my HTC eVo with Tapatalk

Xstatic

Noob
Just started using Raiden today. The combos I use are:

B312, b31~shock, b31~electric fly (34%)
334~teleport, f2~shock, b31~electric fly (34%)
121~shock, b312~electric fly (29%) (taken from Brady's Guide)
I'm not set on a corner combo yet

I find b31 to be the most reliable option after the shock.