What's new

Question Mortal Kombat Stage Picking Ruleset

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Its not even possible to tell if the stage is the reason a person is losing a match anyway, thats why I dont consider it. If you cant handle 1 or 2 extra dashes, dont compete.
Just watch the huge difference between the matches between Pig and 16 Bit at NEC when Pig got to pick Rooftop and Bit picked a small stage. We should all just play on the courtyard. Matter settled.

Are the stages in SC, Tekken and DOA different sizes as well?
Without a doubt! In SC some stages have walls and some have ring outs and some are mixtures. In DOA environment plays a big part some have ceilings, some have cliffhangers, all of them have walls, some have water (water plays a big part in the game). Tekken Walls or infinite stage and they are all different sizes.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Without a doubt! In SC some stages have walls and some have ring outs and some are mixtures. In DOA environment plays a big part some have ceilings, some have cliffhangers, all of them have walls, some have water (water plays a big part in the game). Tekken Walls or infinite stage and they are all different sizes.
When was it decided that picking stages was illegal? I assume it's been that way for years?

Well, also to be fair here... (the way I recall it) no one made a big deal about this until REO made this video:

When was it decided that picking stages was illegal? I assume it's been that way for years?

Well, also to be fair here... (the way I recall it) no one made a big deal about this until REO made this video:
I didn't see this video and am not basing anything from any of his videos.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I didn't see this video and am not basing anything from any of his videos.
Oh, I'm not saying you were or are. What I was getting at ( should have been more clear) was this has been known for a long time, so why should we change it going in to our third year at Evo? Were there factors or reasons the other communities banned stage selection?

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
So if people really want this to start happening throughout the community, TO's that want this to start happening community-wide need to start implementing this rule at future events.

I, for example, just very recently started running MK events in the Indianapolis area. I've decided that I will be installing a new rule that only Courtyard Day be used for tournament matches at our next event.

People using one and only one stage seems to be the norm nowadays anyway (for their own respective reasons). AE community does it. Marvel community does it. Why not us?

McNasty

Moist.
as a smoke player saying hey lets play a random stage and let it rock isnt an option. Shangs garden drops the f4 reset. There are just too many shitty stages to go random unless its "random with the exception of stages x, y, and z in which the player must move to the next viable stage to the right.

Oh, I'm not saying you were or are. What I was getting at ( should have been more clear) was this has been known for a long time, so why should we change it going in to our third year at Evo? Were there factors or reasons the other communities banned stage selection?
We should change it for the sake of competition.

We should make tier lists like Cage is S tier on Pit, Kabal is S+ on Rooftop Day. Lol like come on man. Players shouldn't be able to pick their environment like this.

Who the hell is going to fight Aquaman in water? Seriously? It should be random or agreed upon stages that are neutral for everyone.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
We should change it for the sake of competition.

We should make tier lists like Cage is S tier on Pit, Kabal is S+ on Rooftop Day. Lol like come on man. Players shouldn't be able to pick their environment like this.

Who the hell is going to fight Aquaman in water? Seriously? It should be random or agreed upon stages that are neutral for everyone.
^^ This makes hella sense. Why does everyone allow someone to not only use Kabal, but for him to choose the largest stage in the game? I'm a Baraka player. Imagine how I would feel beating a Kabal and then the player switching to the largest stage, forcing me to travel through a few for iagb's or saws just because I won. Aint right.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Are the stages in SC, Tekken and DOA different sizes as well?
Yes.

Some are also inifite stages which mean no corner.

As for my stance on this I dont really care, no one in the dallas scene ever picks stages(Well Toro does but he just goes to courtyard)

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
as a smoke player saying hey lets play a random stage and let it rock isnt an option. Shangs garden drops the f4 reset. There are just too many shitty stages to go random unless its "random with the exception of stages x, y, and z in which the player must move to the next viable stage to the right.
I hate to say this, but if I were to complain (as a Cyrax main) that my resets somehow didn't work for whatever reason...all I'd hear from my whole scene..."Not my problem" - Random is fair, it favors no one. As a smoke main, you might get lucky and have more room to run away on a large stage, or you might get unlucky and end up on stage where you can't f4 reset like normal.

Flagg

Noob
Khans Arena needs to be the default stage for all Grand Finals.

I think Stage selection is a way bigger deal then this overhyped P1 advantage nonsense.

What's wrong with just letting the game decide the level for you.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Doesn't really bother me, but I'd be fine with picking a few stages that are around the length of Courtyard Day and have those be used.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I don't understand why people want to give the winner of a match even more of an advantage. Makes no sense.

Justice

Noob
Its not even possible to tell if the stage is the reason a person is losing a match anyway, thats why I dont consider it. If you cant handle 1 or 2 extra dashes, dont compete.
I don't think it's so much about the extra dashes as it is what can be done in those extra dashes. Let's use Smoke vs. Sonya as an example. On a larger stage, Smoke can play keepaway longer and building meter forcing Sonya to chase him more and doing nothing but taking chip or possibly leaving herself open to a Smoke Bomb. On a smaller stage, it will force Smoke to try to get past Sonya a little more often giving Sonya a little more of a chance to tag him.

I do agree that if you're being outplayed, the size of the stage means shit. But for two evenly-matched plaeyers, the stage could be a defining part of the meta-game.