What's new

Mortal Kombat Roleplaying?

Cody

Noob
Hello. I was just wondering if there's a Mortal Kombat Roleplaying Game on the internet somewhere that anybody knows about or if anybody's willing to start one here?

Interested players:

bdizzle2700
TelekineticBeing

Last edited:
Reactions: Art

Cody

Noob
Like D&D for MK?
Yup.

How would that work? Like a fighting game on paper? I know nothing about how d&d works
Well, first off each person would have CADs (Character Action Displays), aka Character Sheets, to vary their character from others. You get to progress not only your character, but your the story as well. I hope that makes sense.

I think the best way I can explain it is you're playing a video game and you only control your character. If you hold on, I'll try explaining it in depth more. I have to go somewhere real quickly though, lol.

Cody

Noob
Well, first off each person would have CADs (Character Action Displays), aka Character Sheets, to vary their character from others. You get to progress not only your character, but your the story as well. I hope that makes sense.

Then there's a GameMaster that controls the world around you. That includes NPCs, the environment, etc.

The players' jobs are to focus on their character and develop their character. They get to try to do whatever they want (they can only attempt, the GameMaster decides whether or not they're successful based on their CADs) and the story will continue based on whatever the players go.

It would be text based, obviously, and we try generating a story. If need be, I can try to cook up an example if anybody's actually interested and wants a deeper explanation. However, like TaffyMeat said, I'm not exactly sure if TYM is the place for this, which is why I asked if there was one somewhere else on the internet that anybody knew about, however, I'd be willing to run one here if we got like at least 4-5 people other than myself to join.

So, if anybody's interested, just post so. If you need an example, tell me and I'll make a thread that's purely an example of how it'd work.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Well all one would need is access to the core rule book and developing characters around the MK characters would work.The biggest change up would be having to create the different classes of characters.

Cody

Noob
I was actually thinking about using more of an MURPG style because I think it'd work better as a play by play on forums.

Cody

Noob
Example will be below. Each quote would actually be a whole new post from a whole new person, just to let you all know. Also, I know I said I was going to do the beginning of the MK9 story as the example, but that's like the longest example ever, so I'm going to the middle of the story for an example, lol.

EDIT: Due to the forums splitting apart quotes for some reason, don't think of each quote as a new post like my original intention was. Every time it says a name of a character followed by (UserX or GameMaster) is when the next post in the thread would be.

Scorpion (User 1)
The Spirits have forsaken you, Shaman, Scorpion says as Nightwolf's lying on the ground defeated.
Shang Tsung (User 2)
An Impressive start! Shang Tsung nods his head with acceptance.
Scorpion (User 1)
You waste my time, sorcerer! Scorpion raises his fiery fist in anger.
Quan Chi (User 3)
Restraint, Scorpion, Quan Chi demands
Scorpion (User 1)
Exhaling slowly, Scorpion calms down and lowers his hand. The flame goes out and he speaks.
Shang Tsung (User 2)
You will fight Sub-Zero soon enough, Tsung reassures Scorpion. He lifts himself up out of his throne and begins to walk away.
Quan Chi (User 3)
Quan Chi follows behind Shang Tsung closely.
Scorpion (User 1)
Scorpion lowers his head as if he's ashamed of himself and he hears somebody speaking and turns his head.
Raiden (GameMaster)
Scorpion, I understand your desire for revenge. But Nightwolf is right, Raiden, the God of Thunder says. There are other ways in which you may find peace.
Scorpion (User 1)
Sub-Zero deserves death, Scorpion snarls.
Raiden (GameMaster)
Defeat Sub-Zero if you must, Raiden agrees, but do not kill him. I fear his death will give rise to a more treacherous foe, Raiden proclaims fearfully.
Scorpion (User 1)
Scorpion once again raises his fists up in anger.
I will have my revenge!
Raiden (GameMaster)
Raiden quickly offers a deal to calm Scorpion down.
Spare Sub-Zero's life and I will request that the Elder Gods return the Shirai Ryu to the realms of the mortals.
Scorpion (User 1)
Scorpion nods his head in acceptance of the deal.
Raiden (GameMaster)
Raiden also nods his head in agreement and he turns and walks away.

Liu Kang and Kung Lao follow behind Raiden as Scorpion's left alone. Time passes and a group of kombatants are all gathered around Shang Tsung's throne room.
Scorpion (User 1)
Scorpion walks into Shang Tsung's throne room seeing the groups of allies scattered across the room speaking.
Cyrax (GameMaster)
I understand there are benefits to the Grand Master's plan, but his plan goes against Lin Kuei principles, Cyrax explains to Sektor.
Sektor (User 4)
We are Lin Kuei, Cyrax. We will obey the Grand Master's commands, Sektor demands Cyrax.
Cyrax (GameMaster)
It means giving up our free will, Cyrax angrily tells Sektor as he gets up close and personal. Our souls. It will turn us into... He gets cutoff.
Sektor (User 4)
Sektor raises his hand and pauses Cyrax.
Scorpion, Sektor says maniacally.
Scorpion (User 1)
Scorpion walks up to Cyrax and Sektor.
Cyrax (GameMaster)
Your inferior clan is dead, Cyrax showboats. Soon you will join them.
Scorpion (User 1)
Scorpion steps closer to Cyrax and they're face to face.
My clan may walk the Earth once more.

This comes to the conclusion of Example part 1. I'm going to give another example that would show how an "action panel" would work that will start off directly where this one left off.

Also, sorry for the seperation of some of the quotes between the names and the dialogue/actions for the characters. The site is making it happen and no matter how many times I've edited it, it won't fix, lol.

Last edited:

Cody

Noob
Example part 2: Action Scenes

Note: that Scorpion would be played as if it were a user and Cyrax would be the GameMaster, so they play differently. I would be the Game Master.

Note Again: I will have notes at the very bottom as well :p

GameMaster
Scorpion gets pushed by Cyrax out of anger. As they both get in defensive stances.
Shang Tsung (User 2)
A challenge! Scorpion versus Cyrax and Sektor, Shang Tsung announces!
-----------------------------------------------

Health: 3
Stamina: 9

Action 1: None
Action 2: None
GameMaster
Your obsession with Sub-Zero ends here, Cyrax screams at Scorpion.
Scorpion (User 1)
Scorpion thrusts his arm forward in an attempt to use his spear on Cyrax. He uses his strength to pull Cyrax close.
Health: 4
Stamina: 12

Action 1: 3 Stones into Spear
Action 2: 1 Stone into strength
Sektor (User 4)
Noticing that Scorpion's getting ready to shoot out his spear, Sektor quickly tries to escape by rolling out of the way. Without hesitation, he puts his arm forward and attempts to shoot out flames at Scorpion.
Health: 3
Stamina: 9

Action 1: 4 stones into agility
Action 2: 3 stones into Flame On
GameMaster

Scorpion backs away and stares down both Cyrax and Sektor as they do the same to him. All three of them are ready to fight and none of them waste time. Cyrax buffs out his chest. He's about to shoot out a Green Net but Scorpion wastes no time taking action. His palm is thrust forward and his spear slithers out of his hand and hits with great force! It passes right through Cyrax's armor as the oil starts squirting out. He uses his strength to pull Cyrax close to him.

Sektor thinking that Scorpion was aiming the spear towards him, dodges out of the way of the spear. He quickly notices that Cyrax is the one that was targeted. In an attempt to aid his ally, he shoots flames directly at Scorpion! The flames have little effect on Scorpion, but it distracts him enough that Cyrax is let free.

That basically goes on and on until the battle's over. A battle can end by knockout, somebody fleeing, somebody getting injured, and/or (in this case) Fatalities (usually won't happen to main characters of the story though).

Notes:

*Don't worry about the numbers (which are just placeholders right now) in health and stamina and stones and stuff. I'll explain all of those things more in depth later on if we actually start the game.

*The players each get to only control they're character(s). Everything else (environment, NPCs, etc.) are controlled by the GameMaster.

*Notice how users never actually take an action, they only attempt to do something. This is a rule. If they actually claim to do something, it's called "God Modding." The users are only allowed to attempt things and the GameMaster gets the final say in what happens.

*If the above examples weren't good enough examples of how things would work, let me try explaining this in another way:

Think of it as a video game RPG...

- The dialogue areas would be cutscenes.
- The action panels would be the adventurous parts of a video game.
- You need to know your limitations in a video game though. You cannot control any NPCs, you can only control yourself. You cannot just say that the ceiling starts to collapse, you need to figure out a way to attempt and make that happen (though, some games and their engines don't allow that to actually happen, so it won't always work). Above all, in a video game you cannot just say, "You're dead." You have to work and try actually killing the opponent (or just defeating them).

Any other questions? Does anybody undrerstand how it'd work? :p It's really early in the morning here, lol, so I may be a little slow right now. I tried to explain things to the best of my ability, but maybe if specific questions were asked, I could answer them directly and even add them all to the OP for future references.

Cody

Noob
If by lore you mean what mythos we'd base it off from, I honestly don't care. I was going to figure that out later on by asking the people who are participating what they'd rather do. It doesn't even necessarily have to be real MK characters that you guys are either, honestly, since I have to make all of the CADs from scratch anyway.
Skills/Abilities/Characteristics?
Can't do that until CADs come into play. I can't make CADs until I know how many people are participating and who they are playing as :p

How are skill checks made?
I don't think skill checks are part of the MURPG system at all. Maybe it's because the system I played as awhile back was house rules, but I've never seen an MURPG system use Skill checks.
How does kombat work?
There's an example right above this on how action sequences work. It's not a full length example, it just shows one page of an action sequence.

Basically everybody involved in the actions posts what they're trying to do (maximum of 2 actions per turn) and then they post how much effort they're willing to try putting into those actions. Then, once the GM has everybody involved in the action sequence's posts, he makes one larger post saying what actually happened and how (un)successful they were and usually something in there to progress the story.

So, for example in short:

Scorpion (User)

Spear: 3 stones
Hellfire: 1 stone

GM:

Scorpion uses his spear to full Cyrax closer. He quickly tries to take advantage the dizzy Cyrax, but he's not quick enough and Cryax uppercuts Scorpion before he can succeed.