What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 Ranting Thread

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
There always supposed to be green, the dots represent there connection, 1-4, 4 being the best, 1 being the worst.

Also I have no idea how they region lock this game, I coulda swore my friend was playing against some brazilians the other day.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
I don't think there are supposed to be 4 green dots when the connection from me to my opponent is bad.
In SC4, 5 bars mean good connection, not much lag.
In MK9, 4 green dots mean... nothing?

Eight

I am the salt
Instead of patching the netcode...

Clone top players and set them up in every state and country around the globe!

Glorious offline fighting scenes for all!

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Oh you're on PSN right? I heard its kinda busted for PSN and the green dots never go down, it works mostly well on xbox, and people with 1 or 2 dots have shit connections, and 4 is usually pretty good.

Ya they should maybe fix that.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
Yeah i think fixing that would make playing online waaayyy less frustrating.
The connection can actually be good even in KotH mode but there are always people with sucky connection in there.
A net display would help there too.

Edit: but i don't wanna get greedy, just fix the existing display and i'm good.

On xbl it will show peoples ping but only if they arent in a match or koth, otherwise its 4 green bars by default. Other than that the lag isnt nearly as bad even though most of the people i play only have 3 bars. Hopefully NRS will fix this at some point.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Yeah, this is pretty weird, but...

Did you know that when you are sent a challenge, the green dots right below the person's name will change to reflect the actual connection strength? You only see this when you are being challenged, not if you do the challenging.

Also, during King of the Hill you can press the square button (or X for Xbox360) to reveal the green dots below each person's name. This will pinpoint you towards the true strength of your connection with those players.

I do agree they need to fix this so that you can see the true connection level right off the bat in the lobbies rather than only being able to see it when you are challenged.

aj1701

Noob
I was in the game industry for 3 years and I am now a software developer for an energy company. Trust me when I say this, the developers know what needs to be done to make a better training mode, AI, what have you. It's not about knowing, it's about convincing the management types to give you the time to do it. The mentality of a game developer is, "How can I make a better game?", while the mentality of the manager is, "How can I, in the shortest amount of time and least amount of people, make a game that will sell?" And it's not the developers that is in charge. Make your own conclusions.
Also an SE here. Its like that at every dev shop sadly. On the plus side they have a practice mode now, so in the next version hopefully thye'll be able to work on it some more.

Danno

Noob
I would refrain from projectiles against Smoke, unless it's a once-or-twice a round surprise thing. I main Smoke, and any projectile-heavy player is going to eat Shake many times.

Coming from the difficulty I have with Kano, the Upball should still be a good tool against preventing JK to Throw, and using the jump-Down Ball should close the gap. A range fight will not be in your favor, unless you can catch him with the straight ball while he pelts Smoke Bombs.

On Smoke's wakeup, a telepunch comes out wicked fast. Enhanced Shake and Enhanced Smoke away are also possibilities, to either gain distance or prevent physical pressure. When you are coming to a wakeup, block high so he doesn't launch you into another pop-up string while you are on the ground (lots of overheads).
Thanks for the information. I used to play smoke as well but when you show up to a tourney and the sign in sheet has 5 smokes already, I felt it was time to main someone else hehe.

Yeah, this is pretty weird, but...

Did you know that when you are sent a challenge, the green dots right below the person's name will change to reflect the actual connection strength? You only see this when you are being challenged, not if you do the challenging.
More often than not, I just see 4 dots anyway... as well as a 1000/1000 record and 1000 disconnects. :/ Thing is, that doesn't even indicate whether or not the connection is going to be relatively bad; I've experienced decent(lol) connections from challenges that look like that.

NRS please patch expert mode..........

I think the expert mode in arcade ladder or the story are not a good way to learn the game i mean i can get many flawless victories with csz but when i play against a human i get my ass kicked easily.

plus on the hardest modes in other fighting games like tekken 6 or mvc3 you play some really enjoyable matches, and your mistakes will be punished for 30-40% of ur health bar.

my point is the AI in mk9 is dump, even the hardest mode is too forgiving to be enjoyable.

and for players new to fighting games, hard or the current expert mode is good to grasp the basics but that's about it....simply put NRS make expert mode for advanced players.

ps:i am not pissed off, i win and lose all the time it's just that we need a way to test strategies on a more intelligent AI

What do you guys think?

BATFIM

Noob
I don't think most players give a damn about CPU AI. It's only a supplemental part of the game. if you're trying to get better in the game, beginner or not, the only way is to play against another live player, preferably someone better than you.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
I don't even know if the connection for this game can be improved at all afterwards.
Maybe it's too late for that.
A working display for the quality of the connection would help us to get the best connections, improving the MK Online experience.

AI in most fighting games is pretty bad. It would be nice if it was better but what can you do. Expert level computer is still okay if you want to practice your combos on a moving target, but the only way to get better at beating real people is to play against real people.

umm i am actually good with a few characters on high level and i compete with them with some friends of mine who are good also ,the thing is you can't learn straight from training then ladder especially playing an already good human opponent who wants to win.
and i can see you are a tekken player ,then you must know that fighting games can have great AI

lobo

woof.
i'd like to see a record playback feature in training before NRS gives another second to AI, DLC, nerfs, buffs, online netcode, skin issues....all of this shit is trivial compared to the garbage training mode.

I think the expert mode in arcade ladder or the story are not a good way to learn the game i mean i can get many flawless victories with csz but when i play against a human i get my ass kicked easily.

plus on the hardest modes in other fighting games like tekken 6 or mvc3 you play some really enjoyable matches, and your mistakes will be punished for 30-40% of ur health bar.

my point is the AI in mk9 is dump, even the hardest mode is too forgiving to be enjoyable.

and for players new to fighting games, hard or the current expert mode is good to grasp the basics but that's about it....simply put NRS make expert mode for advanced players.

ps:i am not pissed off, i win and lose all the time it's just that we need a way to test strategies on a more intelligent AI

What do you guys think?
why not just play advanced/better people??? Instead you wanna play cpu?? LOL

Good AI is to costly to design. They won't do this. Best we could hope for is a computer that does real punishments when you do stupid stuff.

What do you guys think?
Infinites then training should have been fixed first and foremost. Other than that all the other stuff is unnecessary. If we had a good training everyone could adapt to all these changes made thus far much quicker than we can now.

As for expert thats an unnecessary change basically the AI is programmed to do things its not a true AI it doesn't learn. Considering it does not learn mind games do not work on the AI for the most part. Another example is punishing for the most part even on expert the computer does not punish you for 30% every time for making a error in judgement no no no keep on using that unsafe shit. As for juggling goes it does not use a characters BnB when it gets a launch it does some stupid ass combo.

The same goes for every game and just in case before you say I havent played other fighters. I played tekken 1-6 (except for 5: DR) I played Soul Blade - SCIV, I played DOA2-4 and I still stick with what I'm saying.

Expert is dumb you dont see it adjusting the combos to its surroundings in Tekken it wont wall carry into a wall combo. When in a stage with no walls it doesnt do the strongest BnB every time. When the computer gets a launch with Bruce you dont see it doing his 50/50 the re-launch or unblockable the CPU doesnt know oki. When does the computer play like Fab with Miguel, when do you see it wall carrying with Lee like FightingGM, when do you see it doing crazy shit with Law like JustFrameJames, when do see a Taunt into Jet Upper with Bryan like Knee? Never.

lobo

woof.
omg why would you omit the only good tekken since TTT? DR is an amazing game that i still play to this day.

omg why would you omit the only good tekken since TTT? DR is an amazing game that i still play to this day.
Well this was not by choice I been broke for that long if I had it my way I would of had a PS3 long ago. Every time I had enough money for a console my xbox breaks and I could never save enough money in between that since to many good games keep coming out.