What's new

Mortal Kombat 10 gameplay?

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
I think it would be cool if there was a mode that let you customize a character with rpg like elements. For example a player could choose a set amount of specials, character powers/trait, strings, etc, apart from normal vs of course. NRS fix tag mode or replace it with this :) Im sure Ill be flamed for thinking outside the box. Oh wellz.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
WHAT I ENJOYED IN MK :

• BLOCK DASHING- it made MK a very rushdown-centric game which created a lot of in your face constant action. This made it a huge crowd pleaser and a very thrilling game to play.
  • TELEPORTS IN A BLOCK BUTTON SETTING- specifically I mean that since there is a block button instead of a back to block mechanic you couldn't get mixed up vs teleports in the same manner as other games. Teleporters own UMVC3 but in MK9 you could go nuts with the kind of teleports in a moveset's design simply because no matter what its angle of attack didn't matter...just the opponents reactions. This meant no matter what MK kept the pressure on and allowed for some incredible user creativity in combo potential. For this reason I think the block button should always stay in MK.
  • NO INTERACTIBLES MEANT NO SHORTCUTS AND MORE EXCITING COMEBACKS- We've all seen some amazing comebacks in MK. We've all seen some incredibly close matches that were based on pure footsies and reads. This is the core of MK.
    I dont think background interactible weapons should be in MK because things like the electric wires, the pig, and roomba...they were all built for a game that needed to help characters make a comeback in a game where most lacked the tools to get in on opponents to start offense or who just didn't have enough opportunity to make back a life lead if one occurred due to its round system. MK does NOT have a problem with getting folks in on each other or with the round system creating such huge life gaps so adding interactibles to it would just be a shortcut for damage that the player should already be able to get opportunities for on their own.

I'd rather not rob players of the ability to create their own comeback moments by littering the environment with projectiles and space control hazards to let them circumvent the footsy tools they have in MK. MK is a FAR more mobile game than Injustice and as such it doesn't need the tools that were created for a game system that needed them. Use the hazards as a staple to label Injustice as Injustice to keep it unique...you'd just be retreading old ground at the expense of MK's core game if you added them.
  • THE ROUND SYSTEM- I like that MK wasn't a marathon survival game like Injustice. I know that clashes in Injustice technically alleviate the health lead in "round 2" that folks can establish but characters with a runaway strategy with high meter build can completely circumvent that tool and force their lead to remain constant preventing comebacks off an early lead (like Zod). Imagine the mess MK would turn into off a successful Smoke or Cyrax round. Imagine how much more ridiculous Kabal would be if you NEVER got another chance to start again at even health on him. It'd be absolute shit. MK is a much crazier game in terms of offense and pressure. You dont want a round system thats marathon based that favors battery characters in it. Keep its rounds traditional.
  • CHALLENGE TOWER AND EXTRA MODES- far superior to the extra gameplay I got out of star labs and the extra single player modes. The single player arcade modes in Injustice were nice, but they didn't change your matches NEARLY as much as Test your luck did and the challenge tower was way better than the 3 star ranking on star labs mess. No one wants to retread some of those stages and the minigames were mainly junk. Shmups where your hitbox is as big as a fighting game character? Oh god no...never again please.
THINGS I FEEL NEED WORK IN MK:
  • XRAYS SHARING THE SAME METER AS BREAKERS-I have no problem with offensive tools like meter burn moves sharing the same meter as other offensive tools like Xray attacks, but Breakers are a defensive tool that needs its own gauge. People would ONLY spend meter on Meter Burn moves when they wanted damage as it was less costly and then they'd save the rest for breakers. You'd only see X-rays if it would kill and that I think is a real shame as some X rays were great and did great damage. I think Breakers need their own gauge. DO NOT put in a guard gauge though...if folks could get guard broken in a game with pressure as great as MK It'd be a nightmare. Just have an offensive tool meter and defensive tool meter.
  • IAFB- Instant Air Fire Balls and Kabal. You already know this though as you attacked Cyborg with the fury of a hurricane the moment he had them NRS. IAFB is a ridiculous tool that was unintentional and it will definitely be gone in MK10.
  • NO PUSHBLOCK- No one likes to see some poor bastard get in a corner vs Johnny Cage and go from full health to dead with no instances to get out. The cornering in MK was so bad that Injustice tried to make environments to offset the problem, but thats a stopgap method thats still too gimmicky and inconsistent to work in MK. Add a pushblock and you instantly alleviate this. The whole wakeup attacks gaining 8 frames of invulnerability and tech roll into wakeups was nice and all but as you saw it didn't help much in the corner. Just add a pushblock...if you are worried it will ruin the pressure in this game if its free like in other fighters simply put it and Breakers on a seperate meter simlar to Xrays and MB moves. Whether or not you have pushblock leave the opponent and user both Neutral like in IGAU or whether you have it leave the opponent slightly negative like in other games is up to you.
  • SHAO KAHN-this was the most mindless fight in the game when you did it. He was built to be a boss and not a playable character and it shows with how he works. This is just a minor gripe, but everyone remembers fireballing the dude to death and Raiden porting over to hit maybe one or two moves and run away. It was a dull and irritating boss for both hardcore and casuals. I'd much prefer him to be a real playable moveset this time around who has a "boss version" that gets all the crazy stuff similar to how I-No was in Guilty Gear XX. This is insignificant but it would make arcade mode far more enjoyable for folks.
  • NO IN GAME FRAME DATA- its unique that Injustice got it and now that we've got it I feel that its crucial to add to MK. The MK scene grew sooooooooo much after frame data came out that you went out of your way NRS to add it to IGAU's move list in game. I'd love to see more of it in MK10. This time around though it'd be great if the data was actually generated off of the animations themself and not just a seperate data file folks would have to edit if the game got patched. That way if you patched the game it'd automatically update movelist frame data for folks to comparison screenshot rather than requiring so much testing. It'd take a bit more work to assign a text value on each animation thats accessed in the pause menu's frame list, but it'd be much worth it in the long run for players.
  • NETCODE-Even the PC version was bad online. I live in nowhere WV and work odd hours...many folks face this problem. MK online was a completely different game than local. Keep pushing for netcode improvements similar to the GGPO rollback netcode method of putting lag ahead of a players move which hides latency and creates a lagless illusion. Basically it examines which players performed the right actions and corrects inaccuracies and works off of Ping. None of the "host advantage" junk or other stuff some games use. Contact TONY CANNON at Shoryuken since he created GGPO if you'd like help trying to setup a similar approach in MK10. It'd make you a legend to reproduce the GGPO method in MK10 and it'd set the standard in AAA fighters if you were the first big budget fighter to use this setup next gen.

hecterrific colt

I think the dashing should be tweaked a bit. Back dashes should be invincible and should not be able to be canceled. Forward dashing should remain the same as MK9. Thoughts?

THINGS I FEEL NEED WORK IN MK:

• XRAYS SHARING THE SAME METER AS BREAKERS-I have no problem with offensive tools like meter burn moves sharing the same meter as other offensive tools like Xray attacks, but Breakers are a defensive tool that needs its own gauge. People would ONLY spend meter on Meter Burn moves when they wanted damage as it was less costly and then they'd save the rest for breakers. You'd only see X-rays if it would kill and that I think is a real shame as some X rays were great and did great damage. I think Breakers need their own gauge. DO NOT put in a guard gauge though...if folks could get guard broken in a game with pressure as great as MK It'd be a nightmare. Just have an offensive tool meter and defensive tool meter.
  • IAFB- Instant Air Fire Balls and Kabal. You already know this though as you attacked Cyborg with the fury of a hurricane the moment he had them NRS. IAFB is a ridiculous tool that was unintentional and it will definitely be gone in MK10.
  • NO PUSHBLOCK- No one likes to see some poor bastard get in a corner vs Johnny Cage and go from full health to dead with no instances to get out. The cornering in MK was so bad that Injustice tried to make environments to offset the problem, but thats a stopgap method thats still too gimmicky and inconsistent to work in MK. Add a pushblock and you instantly alleviate this. The whole wakeup attacks gaining 8 frames of invulnerability and tech roll into wakeups was nice and all but as you saw it didn't help much in the corner. Just add a pushblock...if you are worried it will ruin the pressure in this game if its free like in other fighters simply put it and Breakers on a seperate meter simlar to Xrays and MB moves. Whether or not you have pushblock leave the opponent and user both Neutral like in IGAU or whether you have it leave the opponent slightly negative like in other games is up to you.
    hecterrific colt
Meter: I think is fine sharing the same meter. Having x-rays the way they are (full armor and unbreakable damage 35% on average), your opponent should have a way to take away that meter from you so you can't use x-ray (i.e make you break). Seperate meters for attack and defence will most probably lessen the possibilities of comebacks. Of course all these depends on how you build each of the meters.

IAFB: I don't know if Kabal's was unintetional, but instant air projectiles should definately exist in MK10 simply because are fan! Mileena's was intentional for sure, even the CPU does it. It also requires skill and it's a nice reward if you learn to do it consistently. Also I would like to add that if you are the type of player that relies on zoning, it will be boring for you to simple press, say bf1 all the time cos its simply too easy. So, in my opinion (some) zoning characters should have instant air projectiles.

Pushblocks: Yes, I'm worried it will ruin the pressure of the game. If pushblock exists it should require at least 75% of the meter that is required for breaker, otherwise it will destroy the pressure system.

Finally ppl from other fighting games joint MK community, good start for MK10.

Few things i like to see changed in future MK games in terms of game-play,

* Less recovery on "normals" this creates faster game-play and more possibility to whiff. i feel the "long"recovery forces players to play/input slower than they think. also does it create a clunky feel, which isnt a good thing.
* Taunt button, instead of stance button. Best would be taunts that really fit that character', not random taunts.
* Training room, option to, record your oponent and to input lagg.
* Improve A.I. took me a few days to beat the game on the hardest mode without losing any round. Especially boss characters, their difficulty relys on armor, no good
* Online/Net code, nuff said.

New things i like to see in MK10,
* Stage transition but under the following circumstances,
No to little damage. Short cinematics (3 to 5 sec.) in injustice its way too much
* Friendships and Brutalitys. 1 fatality, brutality, friendship per character is enough.

And i hope they dont use anything from injustice. from the boring color pallete to the stage interactables.
And do not re uses animations from injustice... it forces characters to have moves that dont fit them.

Batman2000

4/14/15 Baby!!!!!
i wonder if NRS will listen to the fans on this

I hope they do, they need a more complex game
Let's be honest though, they are appealing to the majority of people (Casuals) and the majority does NOT want a "complex" game that takes a long period of time to get good at. And that is unnecessary anyway, that is the fun part of MK, how easy the games are and how an unskilled player has a chance against a skilled player, unlike like SF, Tekken, etc where a novice player has NO chance against a skilled player. There are plenty of complex fighting game series out there, if you wish to play them, than play them, but they don't need to turn into MK into something it is not just because a small group of people want the series to be a clone of other series.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Let's be honest though, they are appealing to the majority of people (Casuals) and the majority does NOT want a "complex" game that takes a long period of time to get good at. And that is unnecessary anyway, that is the fun part of MK, how easy the games are and how an unskilled player has a chance against a skilled player, unlike like SF, Tekken, etc where a novice player has NO chance against a skilled player. There are plenty of complex fighting game series out there, if you wish to play them, than play them, but they don't need to turn into MK into something it is not just because a small group of people want the series to be a clone of other series.
Lets not kid ourselves here. KDZ will body your shit if you are a novice as would most of the tourney scene. I get what you tried to say though...low entry level makes it so there is not an unbreachable skill gap that novice's cant overcome with practice where as in more technical fighters it takes quite a bit more work to overcome such gaps.

MK is more approachable to enter into than others, but it still has quite a high level of execution at top tourney level of play.

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
i think i'm gonna make my own mk10 wishlist thread and tag nrs, but i'm afraid that some people will post shits like let mk be mk or mk10 should use only things from mk9 blah blah blah...