What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Official Announcement Trailer

There is more basic, toned down character costumes and there is just uninspired character costumes. Scorp, Sub, and Lao look uninspired... Also Shang's baby face looked so plain, and emotionless. Everything else looked cool and the violence was on point, very cool.

I'm cautiously optimistic about a kameo fighter, since I only know them as like very lackluster and basic tower gimmicks. I'm sure they will be massively upgraded tho, which could add a cool strategic side to picking your "team".

At the same time, I've never heard of a Kameo fighter. Like games like MvC2 and DragonBall Fighterz are tag fighters. To me a kameo fighter sounds like a half assed tag fighter....no? I also find it hard to get hype over a kameo character. Like are characters gonna have their most awesome designs yet but then be unplayable other than like two specials? And no story mode presence? Gives me mk11 krypt Ermac vibes

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
I was disappointed to see the trailer end on a Liu Kang fatality, meaning he's a playable character... I might be a bit salty from all the favoritism he received in MK11, but I could do without that + added god powers on top.
L + Ratio + Liu Kang is THE main character of the franchise he deserves the spotlight always

Like are characters gonna have their most awesome designs yet but then be unplayable other than like two specials? And no story mode presence?
Oh the Kameos will definitely have a presence in story mode. I remember in MK11: Aftermath, there was a Cetrion fight where you used Fujin or Sindel as an assist. Obviously, those are both playable characters, but I definitely think we'll see Kameos in story mode & they'll be used in combat.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Not sure about the Kameo hate. I'm happy for something new if it ends the variation system. Happy to wait and see what happens.
The problem is that if we're talking MK11 Sektor/Cyrax, we're basically talking about a character being demoted into 3-4 super moves and a couple of combos. So fans of that character feel trolled and cock teased. Sure, nobody will give a fuck if Hsu Hao is a Kameo, but if it's Noob or Havik, or Reiko, or Rain ... people will be disappointed. Because that's not what they want when they say 'I want character X'.

On the other hand, if it's Ashrah as a Kameo or not Ashrah at all, I prefer Kameo.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Guess it's time to update the profile pic. Sorry skarlet, I love youuuu. (too bad you'll be a kameo or missing completely :( )

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I also think that Shang killing the cast was a gameplay mechanic. Advanced close-up brutalities, or create-a-fatality gimmick (in addition to the 'normal' fatalities) so that your character doesn't have only 1-2 cinematic finishers.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Personally I think the Kameo thing is the perfect excuse to put Drahmin, Chameleon, Li Mei, Nitara, Jataaka, Mavado and whatnot in the game, which is a HUGE plus. Still, I need to see gameplay to be sold on the idea. Also, I'm hoping they can balance the assists accordingly... would hate to see, as someone previously mentioned, characters being broken or only viable given a specific Kameo combination. That would simply become an even worse variation system than Mk11's.

trufenix

bye felicia
The site answers a ton of questions that should be in the announcement trailer. I would've thought we'd be past this.

Nonetheless, I am excite.

Don’t you think it’s a tad too early to already make up your mind? I’m sure the assists will work out fine and will most likely just be a part of solo gameplay.
No cuz I don’t like assists. It’s the main reason I don’t like dragon ball fighterz. If I never tried an assist game I’d be open. I’ll still watch gameplay, maybe a beta/demo but don’t think I’ll be into it

Thoughts so far:

I like the kameo thing in principle. I could see the whole "other character" part being aesthetic, and it really being just a way to change up your character's moveset a bit. So rather than having a variation on your command grab, Moloch comes and does one for you.

I hope this doesn't get in the way of characters having more explicit archetypes though. I don't want to turn every character into a zoner because of the kameo(s) attached to them.

Man, I can't believe they upped the ante again on the graphics. It looks a tier better than MK11. Really excited to see gameplay footage.

Please don't make Ermac a kameo.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Because the whole point of being here on this site is to discuss stuff like this.
I’m not referring to the people who are stating their opinions about being worried about the new mechanic. And if I was referring to you specifically I would’ve @‘d you, so relax.

I’m referring to those catastrophizing an announcement of a new mechanic based on little to no actual information and acting like they know it’s going to be the worst mechanic in an MK game of all time. Just saying, you’ll probably be much better off not popping a blood vessel in your forehead at least until you have a good reason to, lol

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Best reveal trailer since MK9. I love the new logo!

-The Kombat Pack contains Johnny Cage skin with Jean-Claude Van Damme's likeness, early access to 6 new playable characters & 5 new kameo fighters
What does this mean, "early access"? Are those characters going to be available to everyone eventually? Because I don't think they're gonna allow you to play a Beta version of a character. This sounds like some games like Marvel Snap where you can buy the seasonal card that eventually becomes available to everyone.

If Cassie is a kameo, she will be the only kameo I use. Even if she just runs out, flips you off and leaves, I will take what i can get :(
I doubt Cassie is gonna be a kameo. Out of the batch of new characters she's probably the most popular. Others like Takeda, Kung Jin, Ferra/Torr? Yeah, totally kameos.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
What does this mean, "early access"? Are those characters going to be available to everyone eventually? Because I don't think they're gonna allow you to play a Beta version of a character. This sounds like some games like Marvel Snap where you can buy the seasonal card that eventually becomes available to everyone.
Probably just means you can play as the character a few days earlier than people who'd buy the character separately.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
Best reveal trailer since MK9. I love the new logo!

I doubt Cassie is gonna be a kameo. Out of the batch of new characters she's probably the most popular. Others like Takeda, Kung Jin, Ferra/Torr? Yeah, totally kameos.
I think they just let you play it a day or two sooner compared to the ones that didn’t buy the pass. I saw something in the FAQ that if you preorder you also get access to a beta in august.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
I wonder if the newcomers from MKX and MK11 are returning, like Kotal, D’vorah, Cetrion and Kollector. I don’t think we’ll see Geras or Kronika for a very long time in a MK game since with resetting the timeline they don’t exist.

Amirluc

Kaballin'
I wonder if the newcomers from MKX and MK11 are returning, like Kotal, D’vorah, Cetrion and Kollector. I don’t think we’ll see Geras or Kronika for a very long time in a MK game since with resetting the timeline they don’t exist.
I wouldn’t be so sure about geras, he was popular and they can definitely find a way

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Holy shit some of you are too pessimistic even for me (which is hard to do). Instead of freaking out and worrying about the “Kameo Fighters”, why not just wait to see what it actually is and how it all works?
I think it could be an incredible mechanic/feature, personally.

It will definitely NOT just be somehting as simple as just pushing a button and your boy Noob Saibot throws a clone as you're fighting. Neatherrealm always tries to innovate.

What I'm thinking is that the Kameo fighters, while maybe not fully fleshed out, will actually be more playable than some people are thinking. What I'm saying is, I think when you "tag" them in or whatever, they will fight alongside you and have their own moveset that you control. For those that played Tekken Tag 2 - it could be something like that.

I'm super excited for this. There are so many possibilities. Also, for the 5 people on the planet who want shitty characters like Kai and Dairou to return, this could be a way for them to be in the game in some form. Having said that, if the Kombat pack is 6 full characters and only 5 Kameos, it's possible they are way more fleshed out and intricate than we may think.

I cannot wait to see the gameplay for this.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Early access to KP1

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
MK11 assists just felt really goofy to me. A character popping in just to fire off a special move and then bounce until the cooldown ends? It really did feel like a game mode gimmick.

I’m just so curious how they actually implement the assists in a way that doesn’t interrupt the flow of the match.