What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 (2023) Official Gameplay Trailer

The very first gameplay footage of NetherRealm's new Mortal Kombat 1 was showcased at Summer Game Fest 2023 (hosted by Geoff Keighley). The trailer features Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny Cage, a sighted Kenshi, Kitana, and Mileena, as well as cameos from Goro, Sonya, Kano, Stryker and Jax.

Main gameplay:
  1. Kung Lao vs. Sub Zero
  2. Johnny Cage vs. Kenshi
  3. Scorpion vs. Liu Kang
  4. Raiden vs. Kenshi
Shorter gameplay clips:
  • Sub Zero vs. Raiden
  • Mileena vs. Liu Kang
  • Kung Lao vs. Johnny Cage
Kameo characters (may also be main cast):
  • Goro
  • Sonya
  • Kano
  • Stryker
  • Jax

Comments

Was there any point in the video where the meter bars were shown and someone did a breaker? I'm curious if the breaker costs meter, or is tied to Kameo gauge, or both.
I was thinking about the same thing. They brought the 3 bars back in this game, which opens so many questions. There is breaker and Kameo characters seem to be able to launch too, so I doubt they are meterless unless they have big cooldowns. If so, maybe breaker is tied to them and it's a way to make you lose combo potential after you do it. Chances are it is tied to kameo mechanic since it would make no sense to have a breaker done by the main char and one by the cameo. Unless there is a tag mode that allows you to do breaker and switch character at the same time.

If kameo characters don't cost meter, and regular meter also extends combos, this one could potentially have better combos than 11.

Last edited:
Graphically very nice, especially the facial animations and details, the arenas are also very nice. It remains slow and woody gameplay like the 11 not as fast as the MKX.
The combos are back as well articulated as in MK9.
The Kameo fighters don't convince me, the idea of the assist to extend the combos and enter the combined fatalities is nice, but in my opinion it is a mechanic that could have been spared and focused more on historical problems of MK and that is to improve the animations, let's hope at least who reduced zoning and removed firearms.

Gameplay was fine. Particle effects, fluids, backgrouds looks awesome.... HOWEVER:

• fighter models(significant downgrade compared to the CGI which seems to be everywhere during this gameplay) during the fights looked pretty mediocre at best
  • animation in fights(not CGI) seems stiff
  • music was cool but as usual probably only for the trailer
That being said.... i'm obviously HYPED coz of one, simple reason....... KENSHI.

Gameplay was fine. Particle effects, fluids, backgrouds looks awesome.... HOWEVER:

• fighter models(significant downgrade compared to the CGI which seems to be everywhere during this gameplay) during the fights looked pretty mediocre at best
That being said.... i'm obviously HYPED coz of one, simple reason....... KENSHI.
It is an early build, after all. The animations and such will improve

They showed push and overhead slash:cool:

I really like that stage at the start, the old asian architecture with modernity. It looks like a hotel maybe? Johnny's mansion in hollywood is a great and unique idea, something I would've never thought about myself. We finally get Edenia in all its surrealistic glory, which looks like it takes inspiration from the best bits of each ancient civilization.

Ok, that was rad. The ground combat (what little we saw) was definitely reminiscent of 11 (which I'm fine with) but the air combat was something I was not expecting. With Kameos being super assists, is this game secretly a MvC1 reboot?

I love the graphics, actually. After a few times watching, I realized why: they look like the digitized sprites in 3D if that makes sense. The human proportions, the bright colors, the more subdued costumes. It looks retro.

Finally, this what we can expect from the music -

I really like that stage at the start, the old asian architecture with modernity. It looks like a hotel maybe? Johnny's mansion in hollywood is a great and unique idea, something I would've never thought about myself. We finally get Edenia in all its surrealistic glory, which looks like it takes inspiration from the best bits of each ancient civilization.
I'm inlove with how vibrant they all look!!

Personally, this looks clunky as all hell to me. I guess with all the hype, and it being PS5/XSX exclusive I was expecting a bit more fluidity. Also, the stages look wonderful, but the characters look off. A bit too cartoony.

Disappointed that Kameos are nothing but glorified assist items from MK11. For such a main feature I was expecting more.

Omg I can't believe all the classic 3D era characters everyone loved and wanted are back!!!! :DOGE

Anyway, Kenshi looking like Robin so he's defo gonna be my secondary. I love how Mileena looks and sounds. Not really blown away by the gameplay though, but playing it and looking at it are 2 very different things. I didn't think I would have liked SF6 before playing so I'll reserve judgment for when I can get my hands on it.

Yes, the animations have nothing to do with those seen in the cgi, it looks like a small evolution of MK11, nothing different or modified.
Even the portraits in the game menu looked very cartoony.

There aren't any clashes by the look of it, but it seems like the select menu seamlessly transitions into action with a closeup, dialogue, and then gameplay. Sub-Zero's voice isn't great and Kung's hair looks plastic. But we'll see...

Last edited:
It is an early build, after all. The animations and such will improve
Nope.

They're mid crunch in development atm. They simply don't have neither the time but more importantly APU(mostly GPU) budget to spare on better models. PS5/X1 is pretty weak by current CPU/GPUs standards and they have to account for 4 fighters being at the screen at the same time at worst + all the particle effects which aren't cheap GPU budget wise. It's not bad, just nothing really special in graphics(models) department.

Last edited:
I really didn’t expect wacky 3D era characters today, but I hoped we’d get something more unpredictable/new that didn’t show up in the last games. Kenshi isn’t really unexpected to me. But maybe that’s just me, and I still love him, so it’s all good.

I do feel like we were “promised” more in depth content in the teasers. The next few days should give us a clearer picture of the pace of the gameplay and the mechanics. For now I think it looks pretty cool, a lot like MK11 but better where it needed to be.