What's new

Mortal Kombat 1’s New “Invasions” Mode Revealed

ItsYaBoi

Noob
The random modifiers can be annoying, but otherwise I think this mode looks fun. Love the RPG aspects, and it's giving me Deadly Alliance Konquest vibes with the camera angle when moving around etc, I think it's cool to see some of the areas further fleshed out too and I'm really intrigued to see how some of them end up looking!

All in all this mode will keep me busy :)

Looks interesting, something very casual friendly. I'll be interested to give it a try.

For unlocks, I only want my characters to look like they do in Story Mode, and Klassic skins, which usually isn't hard to get. Usually.

subzert

Frozen Soul
I'll take this over the krypt that was in MK11 anyday. But I hope they bring back living towers/towers of time somehow. I have a blast playing those two.

I'll take this over the krypt that was in MK11 anyday. But I hope they bring back living towers/towers of time somehow. I have a blast playing those two.
Looks like those are part of Invasion, but Klassic Towers are still a separate thing.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I know it's only a small thing, but I'm glad that Test Your Might is back. Hoping Test Your Sight is back too
fuck yeah, love it that too ! ;)

Also, Kung Lao breaking that ruby block, remind me this stuff here , from the best of the best classic movie , hehe :)

Zviko

Noob
Just please, don't force me to play through this or towers to unlock stuff. The mode actually looks good to chill on or for when I don't have time to do online or have to run around the house all the time etc. But being forced to play it for brutalities, skins, gear.....some even suggests kameos need to be unlocked? Please no...

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Just please, don't force me to play through this or towers to unlock stuff. The mode actually looks good to chill on or for when I don't have time to do online or have to run around the house all the time etc. But being forced to play it for brutalities, skins, gear.....some even suggests kameos need to be unlocked? Please no...
For what it's worth the kameo unlock screenshot seems to say 'profile level 5', so I think it's your overall level, not specific to Invasions.

So you'll get the kameo's by just playing the game. Story, klassic towers, Invasion, online etc. Anything that gives XP

Brutalities and skins etc though, yeah I can imagine some of them being locked to this mode.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
My impression is that the kameos need to be unlocked only in the invasion mode itself, otherwise this will be HELL for tournaments.

Zviko

Noob
For what it's worth the kameo unlock screenshot seems to say 'profile level 5', so I think it's your overall level, not specific to Invasions.

So you'll get the kameo's by just playing the game. Story, klassic towers, Invasion, online etc. Anything that gives XP
That sounds even worse. It will take even longer to get a specific kameo than it would through towers for example. I'm guessing brutalites, skins and stuff will be random in that mode, just like krypt? This is gonna be so painful again. Why can't it be random in ranked. I would love to win a match in ranked and get a random Reptile piece of gear or whatever character I'm playing. Or even a piece of gear from my opponents character as in you stole it from them by winning. That's fun. Not running around a virtual house and fighting stupid AI with tons of annoying modifiers just to potentially unlock something you don't even want.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
My impression is that the kameos need to be unlocked only in the invasion mode itself, otherwise this will be HELL for tournaments.
How would them being unlockable in only the Invasion mode be better for tournaments? I assume this mode is going to take a while to grind and complete, it sucks either way for tournaments - whether it be Invasion only for kameo's or tied to overall profile level

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
How would them being unlockable in only the Invasion mode be better for tournaments? I assume this mode is going to take a while to grind and complete, it sucks either way for tournaments - whether it be Invasion only for kameo's or tied to overall profile level
I meant, they should be unlocked by default in the vs mode, but if you want to use them in the invasion mode, you'd need to unlock them IN the invasion mode.

Proof that Kameo unlocks are tied to profile level and not just Invasion

Edit: I also think maybe this refers to a profile level exclusive to the invasion mode...? We saw that you level up you character and put points into strenght, vitality, defense etc.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I meant, they should be unlocked by default in the vs mode, but if you want to use them in the invasion mode, you'd need to unlock them IN the invasion mode.

Edit: I also think maybe this refers to a profile level exclusive to the invasion mode...? We saw that you level up you character and put points into strenght, vitality, defense etc.
To your first point, yeah that makes sense.

Second point, I can see going off your first point. But odd that they say profile level, as that is indicative of your overall profile. You don't set up a profile for Invasion, you just choose a character and rank that characters level up. Profile makes me think how they've done it in previous games where you have an overall profile level and then other things like online seasons and rankings have a separate level.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
To your first point, yeah that makes sense.

Second point, I can see going off your first point. But odd that they say profile level, as that is indicative of your overall profile. You don't set up a profile for Invasion, you just choose a character and rank that characters level up. Profile makes me think how they've done it in previous games where you have an overall profile level and then other things like online seasons and rankings have a separate level.
I can see both mine and your arguments as being valid, I'm just hoping they thought of a way around this in tournaments. It wasnt such a huge issue when you had 1 or 2 unlockable characters at most, but with 10+ kameos, it's on a whole other level... We can only hope for the best right now :(

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Kameos are the main mechanic of this game. If NRS made a large majority of them unlockable for versus play, then that's a big mistake.

I imagine that one kameo and one character are hidden(unlocked via story mode) and the rest are unlocked and usable from the get-go.