What's new

Montreal Mayhem #21: No one cares about MM#20! Ecodus wins IGAU! Jer wins MK9!

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
Montreal Mayhem #21

Season III

So things have changed since the last write up was done months ago.

New venue! Foonzo wasn't going in a direction that was going to be helpful for the scene. It didn't make sense for us to go there and spend 15 to 20 bucks each to use their one monitor. Luckily @Ecodus stepped up and began running the weeklies in his apartment allowing for us to keep playing the games we love and making it easier for more people to make it out.

Another change, with Season III starting we found the last system I had implemented where points were based on the number of entrances wasn't liked by everyone in the community. A better system was devised... And by devised we just basically copying GGA. 1st gets 3 Points, 2nd gets 2 Points and 3rd gets 1 Point. We also taking in the bounty point system where if the person who got 1st last week gets beat this week then the person who beat them gets 1 Point.

With the move we have been able to get people to show up more consistently that couldn't before. These people include people with streaming equipment. This means we might actually have a consistent stream schedule for once. Of course the stream would be at www.twitch.tv/MontrealMayhem on the new day of Saturday around 5:30 - 6PM EST.

Oh and before I forget. Montreal Mayhem #20 never really got a write up since nothing happened really. We didn't even do a tournament or anything. The entire community at the time were too preoccupied with things to give Season II a grand send off, which is unfortunate but it happens. The results for Season II were Ecodus taking IGAU and @T.roll taking MK9.

Injustice

The wave of new people to Montreal Mayhem have shown a distinct favour towards MK9, leaving poor Injustice to slightly lower numbers. However we were still able to run a 6 man Round Robin tournament to kick things off for Season III.

Last went to @Jer who after meddling with Doomsday for awhile realized his one true Injustice love is Aquaman. His Aquaman did well beating Bacon and almost beating Ecodus but, after that it was all 1 - 3 loses to the remaining 3 players.

5th went to @zaf who has started playing Injustice again, taking his Raven for a spin only beating Jer to get him 5th place. He also had close sets with T.Roll and Bacon.

4th went to @Pest0Swami who went 2 - 3, using a bunch of difference characters as he took down Zaf and Jer but, wasn't able to win the sets against the rest of the people in this Round Robin.

3rd went to @CanadianBaconX who went 2 - 3 but beat Pesto getting the tiebreak, all of his sets went the distance except for Ecodus who beat him in 4 games. Bacon also lost to Jer and T.Roll, while barely being able to beat Pesto and Zaf.

2nd went to @T.roll who forsake the Main Man Lobo and moved to Doomsday to better fit his play style. This change led him to going 4 - 1 only losing to Ecodus.

1st went to @Ecodus who went undefeated with Catwoman the only close set he had was against Jer who pushed him to the last match but, other than that he stream rolled through the rest of the tournament.

1) Ecodus (Catwoman) [3 Points]
2) T.Roll (Doomsday) [2 Points]
3) Bacon (Wonder Woman) [1 Point]
4) PestoSwami (Catwoman, Doomsday, Raven)
5) Zaf (Raven)
6) Jer (Aquaman)

http://challonge.com/mm21igau

Mortal Kombat
We got 9 people for MK! A good mix of old and new players making for an interesting tournament.

The first match was a odd number pre-bracket match between @Iz-GOod and @Grumptronix who actually showed up together and play each other often however, the set didn't look that close as Iz Good's Baraka steamrolled forward for a 3 - 0.

As the first main bracket began Izzy moved on to face Ecodus' Kitana in a very close set. Izzy took the first two matches until Ecodus adapted taking the next two matches however Izzy was able to adapt himself to close out the set 3 - 2. That was the end of the close sets for this bracket as T.Roll took down new comer @Polyphechris 3 - 0. Zaf's Kenshi shut down Bacon's new Skarlet with another 3 - 0 and Jer took down usual Injustice player Pesto with yet another 3 - 0.

As we moved along in winners Zaf and Jer faced off in a classic of Montreal MK with Jer taking him down 3 - 0 and then in the surprise MK regular T.Roll gets 3 - 0 by new comer Iz Good and his Baraka.

Winner's finals was once again a 3 - 0 but this time Jer regulates the new player Izzy putting him in his place with Mileena taking the set and taking a comfy spot in Grand Finals.

With Jer in Grand Finals we were able to move along in Loser's Bracket. The first match was Grump and Pesto which was a 3 - 0 with Grump winning showing the Pesto really doesn't play this game.

In the next part of the bracket Ecodus bounced back from that close first lost taking out Chris 3 - 0, eliminating him early in his first outing. The other match was between Grump and Bacon which would have been Skarlet versus Cage but, the console they were no didn't have DLC so, Bacon decided to go to Sindel instead allowing him to take the set 3 - 1.

Ecodus moved on to face Zaf and in what was a very close set, Zaf was able to give Ecodus another close lost with a 3 - 2. On the other end Bacon and T.Roll got to face each other in a match that happens almost every week. This time however, Bacon was playing Skarlet which was a character T.Roll wasn't comfortable with playing against causing him to lost the set 3 - 2.

Bacon and Zaf played again in the next round and while Bacon was able to get one win in the set he wasn't able to get much more against Zaf's Kenshi, giving Zaf the 3 - 1 win putting him in Loser's Finals.

Loser's Finals was Iz Good versus Zaf which was very lop sided in casuals and it carried over into the tournament as Zaf took out Izzy 3 - 0, giving the new comer 3rd place in a good first showing.

Grand Finals was indeed a Grand Finals we're more then used to seeing in MK. Zaf and Jer faced off again for the second time in this tournament. This time Zaf was able to get a game before losing for a second time to Jer in a 1 - 3 set, giving Jer the first tournament of Season III.

1. Jer (Jax, Mileena) [3 Points]
2. Zaf (Kenshi, Ermac) [2 Points]
3. Iz Good (Baraka) [1 Point]
4. Bacon (Skarlet, Sindel)
5. Ecodus (Kitana)
5. T.Roll (Kabal, Cage)
7. Polyphechris (Ermac, Smoke)
7. Grumptronix (Cage)
9. PestoSwami (Kitana, Jax)

http://challonge.com/MTLIGAU
(Ecodus made this bracket, which is why it's not the same format or game in the title)

Totals
Injustice Totals:
Ecodus [3 Points]
T.Roll [2 Points]
Bacon [1 Point]

Mortal Kombat Totals:

Jer [3 Points]
Zaf [2 Points]
Iz Good [1 Point]

Extras
It was a good week for MK, hopefully Injustice will do better next week. I look forward to these new players to keep showing and making the scene grow more. Big shout outs to Ecodus for making this all possible and letting us take over his place. Also most shout outs to Kuma for being the cutest dog.

So if you're in the area and are interested in going to a Montreal Mayhem, then make sure to post in the Montreal 2015 thread in the matchmaking section of the site so, that we can plan for you showing up. We hold these events on Saturday at around 4:30 with the tournament starting at 5:30 or 6. Check out the stream at www.twitch.tv/MontrealMayhem if you can't make it out in person.

@RM GamerBlake
@CrimsonShadow

Last edited:

Pest0Swami

MTL's Worst Player.
Good stuff y'all! Those were some fun games. Are there VODs on the twitch channel? I want to watch myself getting bodied.

Iz-GOod

Noob
Wow, great write-up @CanadianBaconX!

@Ecodus Thanks again for hosting, it was a great setup!

@Jer I'll give you a run for your money next time. I'll jump less and I'll learn my punishes when blocking Mileena's specials.
@zaf I honestly don't see how there's any way my Baraka can beat your Ermac. Your spacing is just too good. The only way would be to get a life lead and be even more patient than you, which I'm not sure is possible.

zaf

professor
Wow, great write-up @CanadianBaconX!

@Ecodus Thanks again for hosting, it was a great setup!

@Jer I'll give you a run for your money next time. I'll jump less and I'll learn my punishes when blocking Mileena's specials.
@zaf I honestly don't see how there's any way my Baraka can beat your Ermac. Your spacing is just too good. The only way would be to get a life lead and be even more patient than you, which I'm not sure is possible.
You never know!!!!!

If you show up this week, I will show you my spacing trick. Which I said I would show others as well.
It is very simple and basic, but it is effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer