What's new

MKX vs. ESRB [Will it make it?]

The more gore I see from this game, and the stuff I'm hearing from things that did not make it on E3 streams continue to increase my worry that the ERSB ratings system will have a field day with this game before it is released, I mean I will go even far as to say it could possibly be in the running for an AO rating, and being banned in many foreign regions, things like Cassie's crazy XRay involving a nut punch to a fully graphicalized male/female reproductive organ? Really raises a few eyebrows.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for this over the top gore and seriousness they are bringing to the table with MKX, and you can tell NRS is having a field day implementing all kinds of new gruesome moves that they couldn't do on last gen systems, but my biggest fear is that they will have to cut some things out before release because it is too squeamish for some audience, like scorpions fatality (which was not shown all the way through, during its whole time at E3 on stream) I want NRS to stand their grown and not puss out because of a rating their game received, I want them to maintain their freedom and deliver that shock value more so than any other MK before it...I pray that they don't cut out the ideas they choose to implant in the game in fear of ratings...what do u guys think? Is MKX pushing the boundaries a little too far in some aspect? And do you think they will get a rating beyond M?

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
It'll be fine. Games marketed towards adults are way more accepted now.

Getting ID'd for a game is a major positive in my book.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
No matter how gory it is aslong as there is no sex then it will be rated M , hell it can even have nudity in it and it will still be rated M lol

It'll be fine. Games marketed towards adults are way more accepted now.
Being marketed towards adults is perfectly fine, the problem is an "Adults only" rating. That wouldn't be a problem except for one company: Walmart. They're the biggest retailer of videogames by far, and they refuse to sell AO rated games. If the ESRB gives MKX an AO you can bet they'll cut whatever they have to to bring it down to M.

The more gore I see from this game, and the stuff I'm hearing from things that did not make it on E3 streams continue to increase my worry that the ERSB ratings system will have a field day with this game before it is released, I mean I will go even far as to say it could possibly be in the running for an AO rating, and being banned in many foreign regions, things like Cassie's crazy XRay involving a nut punch to a fully graphicalized male/female reproductive organ? Really raises a few eyebrows.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for this over the top gore and seriousness they are bringing to the table with MKX, and you can tell NRS is having a field day implementing all kinds of new gruesome moves that they couldn't do on last gen systems, but my biggest fear is that they will have to cut some things out before release because it is too squeamish for some audience, like scorpions fatality (which was not shown all the way through, during its whole time at E3 on stream) I want NRS to stand their grown and not puss out because of a rating their game received, I want them to maintain their freedom and deliver that shock value more so than any other MK before it...I pray that they don't cut out the ideas they choose to implant in the game in fear of ratings...what do u guys think? Is MKX pushing the boundaries a little too far in some aspect? And do you think they will get a rating beyond M?
Ya it will. Ever play Gears?

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
AO ratings on games are still a big taboo with most retailers, so there's no way NRS, and largely WB would let the game get that kind of rating just for the financial aspect of it.

About the graphically added genitalia, Sniper Elite V2 had testicles modeled in a similar X-ray replay kill shot view, so I don't think it will be an issue.

E

Eldriken

Ya it will. Ever play Gears?
Now that you mention it...Gears of War was pretty up there with its gore and level of detail.

Especially in Gears 2. I'm sure you know what part I'm talking about.

aj1701

Noob
Being marketed towards adults is perfectly fine, the problem is an "Adults only" rating. That wouldn't be a problem except for one company: Walmart. They're the biggest retailer of videogames by far, and they refuse to sell AO rated games. If the ESRB gives MKX an AO you can bet they'll cut whatever they have to to bring it down to M.
I don't think its just a WalMart problem, I think MS and Sony both ban games rated AO from being released on their systems.

Now that you mention it...Gears of War was pretty up there with its gore and level of detail.

Especially in Gears 2. I'm sure you know what part I'm talking about.
3 and Judgment had fucked up executions.

Better comparison, ever play God of War 3?

God of War you basically controlled how you killed people.

It'll make it.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
But do to NRS this game is a business, if they have to cut out some things (hope they dont) so they can sell it at Walmart then they would. They want to make as much money as possible regardless, I buy all my Gamestop anyways, Pro Points though.

But do to NRS this game is a business, if they have to cut out some things (hope they dont) so they can sell it at Walmart then they would. They want to make as much money as possible regardless, I buy all my Gamestop anyways, Pro Points though.
Walmart used to sell guns, they don't care.
Lol.

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
AO have never been carried by any retailer, and the only AO I know of are purchased on PC, never in any stores. AO isn't really an option for any game developers because it severely limits the amount of purchases.

USED to lol. Since they bitch about the ammo ppl carry now, just go to a gun show.
Some Walmarts still sell guns, actually, just in select states.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11

lol yeah dude I know I heard some people who played had to "look away" at times it bothered them that much lol. Gotta love that, I mean I know this won't be the first time(probably not the last either lol) MK has turned heads and got the ESRB's attention...

But I hope they don't bust WB/NRS's chops with "must be AO rating not M or something....

I do think they're pushing it but I love that! I heard Cassie's other fatality rips off your balls....don't know how true this is though, and that supposedly her Xray shows ball muscles and vaginal camel toe....I also don't know how true this. But if that's true man...lol that's pretty damn brutal. I've always wanted a fatality for Cage, where he chops your throat forcing your mouth open, then, punches your balls, rips them off then breaks your jaw wide then shoves the balls down your throat, then snaps your neck!! lol

Hades

Noob
Wait whats the age for M in america? Im really curious now because if mk 9 wasn't R18 or whatever adult rated system you have thats pretty nuts.

Hades

Noob
M for mature in america is 17 and up. AO is 18 and up. And yes, the one year difference *IS* incredibly arbitrary and exists for no good reason whatsoever.
That sounds really really odd. So if mk 9 isnt rated AO then what is?