What's new

MKX - Rules for meter building

MK_Al

Noob
As I constantly feel like all of my opponents build more meter than I do, I went to the lab and did some extremely boring tests to find out if there are any universal meter building rules in this game, or if the amount of meter a character builds is different for each character. I tested this with Kung Lao, Raiden, Sonja and Reptile, one variation each.

Here are the results so far:

a) When your opponent takes 100% of your life, and none of it is chip damage, you will gain 2 bars of meter, no matter what char

b) Most normals deal either 0.50%, 0.75%, 1.25% or 1.75% chip damage, which is 25% of the same normal on hit. So a 2% damage normal will do 0.50% damage on block. You will gain the following amount of meter when chiping your opponent, no matter what char you are playing:

2% on hit -> 0.50% on block -> 47* hits on block build 3 bars of meter
3% on hit -> 0.75% on block -> 46 hits on block build 3 bars of meter
5% on hit -> 1.25% on block -> 44 hits on block build 3 bars of meter
7% on hit -> 1.75% on block -> 42 hits on block build 3 bars of meter

*though the 48th hit will activate the 3rd bar

If you think about those numbers, you might see that the difference in damage on hit is exactly the number of hits you need less, to build 3 bars:
Say an uppercut builds 14% on hit, which is 12% more than a 2% normal, then you need to land 47-12=35 uppercuts on block to build 3 bars (the values are not 100% correct; there is evidence that the game displays rounded numbers)

All of this also applies on strings. Sonjas 213 string deals 0.50%/0.75%/0.50% chip damage. 0.50 -> 47 hits = 3 bars; 0.75 -> 46 hits = 3 bars -----> 3 / ( 3 / 47 + 3 / 46 + 3 / 47 ) = 15,5 so you need to land that string 15,5 = 16 times on block for 3 bars of meter.
On a side note; while hits within a string seem to scale in damage, chip damage from hits in strings does not scale

c) Meter building from non EX special moves is universal for (almost) all the moves I tested; and luckily it is quite easy:

- You will build meter for throwing out any special move, no matter if it hits, whiffs or gets blocked
- On hit or on whiff you will need 51 special moves to build 3 bars of meter, no matter how much damage the move deals
- If the special move is blocked, you will gain additional meter for the chip damage. In most cases 23 special moves build 3 bars of meter.
- There are specials - though I couldn't find many - that don't follow those rules. Sonja's air throw for example builds way less meter, you'd need to whiff >120 to build 3 bars.

There are some cases where 22, and others where 24 blocked special moves are needed. The differende does not relate the chip or hit damage; it seems rather random. Also, in case you have wondered, the chip damage from a special move seems to be a unique property for that specific move; it varies roughly from 10% to 50% of the same move on hit.

So what it comes down to is
- equal damage normals build equal meter, no matter what char
- the more hits your blockstring contains, the more meter you will build (so KL's 112124 string or EB's 21122 string build quite a chunk)
- if two strings have the same amount of hits the higher damaging string will build more meter on block
- in general special moves build equal meter, no matter what char or what move. There seem to be a view exceptions though

... which is what one would suggest without spending hours in the lab.

UPDATE: Meter building from special moves
@Jimmypotato @UsedForGlue

Last edited:

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
So building meter with your face is 400% faster? 12ish 2% punches to my face will build 3 bars of meter for me?

Oh nevermind, I had skipped the part where you said "when your opponent takes 100% of your life, and none of it is chip damage, you will gain 2 bars of meter, no matter what char"

Last edited:

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
You should also mention meter build from specials.

using safe specials at the end of multi hitting block strings is the way to really build good meter.

MK_Al

Noob
You should also mention meter build from specials.

using safe specials at the end of multi hitting block strings is the way to really build good meter.
please don't make me do this research again... :)

but seriously, I'd like to know if there are general rules for specials as well, so I might check within the next days.

Gurg

Noob
Nice! Thanks for going into the lab for this. :)

So, this unevenly favors characters with long strings / multi-hit moves? Meaning if you play a character who naturally does fewer blocked hits and speciald you're basically guaranteed to get less meter?

MK_Al

Noob
Nice! Thanks for going into the lab for this. :)

So, this unevenly favors characters with long strings / multi-hit moves? Meaning if you play a character who naturally does fewer blocked hits and speciald you're basically guaranteed to get less meter?
Yes it does. Though a lot of chars in this game have ways to max their meter building; some have long strings, others have good frame traps, and again others have specials they can whiff full screen or are safe on block. Overall ist's a quite interesting system - the meter building while getting hit serves as a comeback mechanic while at the same time the meter building on chip forces you to stay agressive.

This is some MK9 Quan @Under_The_Mayo stuff right here
Except I don't do vids. I just don't have that voice :)