What's new

MKvsDC could it work this time around?

I was thinking to myself ok i know mkvdc in 3D was a bomb of a game but was greatly supported by hardcore mortal kombat n dc fans, but here we are with NRS going back to their roots with the 2d roots with 3d backdrops for mk9 which has had great success and are taking what they learned from mk9 and building and improving, and applying that to injustice, so im asking, if they ever did another mkvdc game but with this new playstyles n graphics, with tweaks here and there to make all the characters tie in would it be a huge success? Mk chars keeping their xrays, and dc chars keeping their supers, but how with the absence of fatalities affect hardcore mk fans? I believe if the game is truely solid then this will not matter to most long term...but i could be wrong, opinions?

I do believe NRS can make a sequel to MKvsDC a huge success with their extra experience.

The weakened Fatalities will be a blow, and it could be a big one; the casual gamer who knows about MK will seek violence, decapitating and amputation. Long-term, it probably won't matter anymore.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I suppose they could do like a Warner Brothers all star battle royal.

Neo
Frodo
Scorpion
Superman
Freddy
Harry Potter
Maxwell from Scribblenaughts
Daffy Duck

Ya that should probably happen now.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
They likely could, but I wouldn't want to see them do it, tbh.

If Injustice proves to be a really good game...I'd like to see them continue with a sequel.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Ed Boon stated explicitly in an interview (I forget the link for it) that NRS fully intends to steer clear of future merges between the franchise. So I don't think another MK vs DC will be happening. :(

They may change their mind, though...you never know.

They likely could, but I wouldn't want to see them do it, tbh.

If Injustice proves to be a really good game...I'd like to see them continue with a sequel.
^ agree if injustice proves to be a great success (which im sure it will) i would like to see a sequel, but i would like them to at some point in the future take another stab at mkvdc taking what they know now, and applying the same formula to that.

DC will never let their IPs get fatalitied and MK without that stuff will piss off everyone. It's just not worth it.
MK can still have its series and Injustice can still have theirs, i think they can afford to put aside fatalities for a crossover title inbetween, hell if u want fatalities just go play the previous version of MK, i think consumers will understand.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
The fatality excuse doesn't work. How many threads are there dedicated to how much people hate fatalities and hate seeing them? I do one once or twice in a set just because I haven't seen them a million times...well..except Ermac's bug squash, but I love it.

Edit: The reason MKvsDC is bad(imo) is NOT because of the toned down fatalities. It literally feels like an unfinished game. I know thats harsh, but I played it after playing mk9 so its biased as well.

Lol best fatality in the game, if ur opponent wasnt salty then, they definitely will after the bug squash lol, it just screams "ur nothing to me!"

kronspik

Noob
The fatality excuse doesn't work. How many threads are there dedicated to how much people hate fatalities and hate seeing them? I do one once or twice in a set just because I haven't seen them a million times...well..except Ermac's bug squash, but I love it.

Edit: The reason MKvsDC is bad(imo) is NOT because of the toned down fatalities. It literally feels like an unfinished game. I know thats harsh, but I played it after playing mk9 so its biased as well.
It pisses off casual players, aka 95% of their sales.

Element_

The First Element
MKvsDC was a really cool/fun game to play..what destroyed it was Midway never did any patches ..the flash infinite,superman ground pound,green lantern getting full combo off a breaker etc i wish they would of spent time on tuning the game insteadof leaving it in the dark..i went online last night and there was 4 people in the lobby!!jeez

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Honestly, these two don't stick together at all. MK should stay on its own way. And goddamn, make it 3d again, NRS !

Honestly, these two don't stick together at all. MK should stay on its own way. And goddamn, make it 3d again, NRS !
fk no thats a terrible idea NRS did right by going back to its roots, going back to 3d will just put the franchise back in the dirt.

Baraka Obama

8 Years of Bringin' the Pain!
I do believe NRS can make a sequel to MKvsDC a huge success with their extra experience.

The weakened Fatalities will be a blow, and it could be a big one; for the casual gamer who knows about MK will seek violence, decapitating and amputation. Long-term, it probably won't matter anymore.
I agree! Even fans of the MK series will want blood. That's the reason that I didn't get it. I mean, the fatalities are the Trademark of the entire series(along with the insane violence in general)! I felt that the replacement of fatalities with "finishing moves" brought the game down soooooo significantly that many fans stayed away, especially with MK9 being so great.

So to answer the question directly: It very well COULD, but it's unlikely. Other than the well-informed players that would know every detail of the game like half a year before the release, all of the others who had/didn't have the game will immediately think "first one sucked, passing this up..." due to that lack of violence which is the backbone for Mortal Kombat. Personally, I think the separation is great, as I have no problem playing MK9 'til the end of time and am still filled with anticipation for Injustice!

I don't think WB marketeers will allow another MKvDC. Both franchises generate revenue independently from one another, so if one of them crashes and burns the other can still be flying high. If you merge them you're putting all of your proverbial eggs in one basket, risking significant loss of market share if the game fails.

I think a more likely merge is MK vs SF, developed by NRS for nex-gen consoles on the IGAU engine. That shit would be baller. Boon has wanted to make it happen since day 1--like 20 years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if merging the two franchises was a life-long career goal.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I don't think WB marketeers will allow another MKvDC. Both franchises generate revenue independently from one another, so if one of them crashes and burns the other can still be flying high. If you merge them you're putting all of your proverbial eggs in one basket, risking significant loss of market share if the game fails.

I think a more likely merge is MK vs SF, developed by NRS for nex-gen consoles on the IGAU engine. That shit would be baller. Boon has wanted to make it happen since day 1--like 20 years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if merging the two franchises was a life-long career goal.

Even if the crossover game crashes and burns that's no indication that the franchises will. As long as the next MK or next DC game is good then people will buy as their both still big names. It may give people pause after a complete failure but I'd say even that doesn't matter as MKvsDC was HORRENDOUS and people still rushed out to buy MK9 and Injustice.

MK vs. SF would be a SFxT situation where both companies develop their own game and I think they'd make it more like MK than Injustice.