What's new

MKT N64 sypnosis

Seriously. The site was lacking of anything of importance regardin' this. A lot more people seem to be fixated on the PSX, PC, and Sega Saturn versions of the game than the underrated N64 version so here we go

The N64 version of MKT was released months after the other versions. Modifications had to be made to fit the limited cartridge space. Naturally, things were taken out while the port compensated by adding in exclusive content, so lets overview

Roster: As many or some don't know, this version had a portion of the cast scratched out to fit the cartridge space. 'Classic/MKII/MK' versions of the characters were removed from the game, leaving behind only Raiden and Baraka as the returning fighters from MKII. However, this was more of a wise move as only those two classic characters had more than one Fatality that would translate well with the spriteset as well as an Animality to go with them. While the game doesn't have the secret character Chameleon, he is replaced by a more complete female counterpart named Khameleon, a hidden female ninja clad in gray who could mimic the moves of all female ninjas. Unlike Chameleon, she could be unlocked so that she could be selected from the character select screen. Bosses aren't playable from the get go and Goro and Kintaro are removed. Shao Kahn and Motaro are playable with a code which will be covered in the next section. Sub-Zero is not in the game though his moveset and story has been fused with Classic Sub-Zero's making him a much more powerful character.

Bosses: As mentioned before, Goro and Kintaro were removed from this point and Shao Kahn and Motaro are no longer selectable though they can be made playable temporarily through a code though one has to be at a specific stage. Changes were made to these two. Both use their MK3/UMK3 moveset, but the big difference is that both now have their own Fatality. Motaro can also move whilst kicking, making him broken as he can easily trap an opponent into the corner and prevent them from escaping.

Stages: All but two of the stages are in this port which excludes The Bank from MK3 and Kahn's Arena from MKII. A new stage was included in this port: the Star Bridge, which contains a secret. The Star Bridge uses the foreground of the Pit II and a starry backdrop, hence the name. Stage reels are also different here. Minor graphical changes. The Lair, The Armory and Kombat Tomb are all now intertwined, making the only ever instance in a series where a three-tier reel is present.

Unlockables/Secrets: Unlockables in this port are more prominent in this version than its competitors. Most notably is the Lost Treasures, which is far larger than any other iteration of MK3. A second row of unlockables is added to the first row, which has more options as well. These mostly consist of content that were previously only viewable through the 'Random Prize' selection while some has exclusive mini games. Ping Pong and a slightly modified version of Galaga are available. Unlike the other ports, this version actually has an Ultimate Kombat Kode. The kode uses six digits like normal Kombat Kodes as opposed to the ten. B is the first slot. C Left is the second. C Up is the third. C down is the fourth. L is the fifth and R is the sixth. By entering 113-840, Human Smoke and Khameleon become playable. Two Question Mark options are also available through this port, which allows typical Kombat Kode effects like Unlimited Run to be activated without a kode to the much more pivotal Collision Box option which is quite useful for pros. While there are no One-Button Fatalities there is an Infinite Fatality Time option in its place to give players more incentive to memorize inputs in otherwise normal play. Finally, secret Endurance-laden ladders can be unlocked by pressing Start and Down while highlighting Kano, reccommended for expert players.

Misc.: A 3-on-3 Kombat option is available, allowing for longer multi-kombat action. Johnny Cage has a Super Shadow Kick Fatality in place of his Backbreaker one and has the infamous Triple Uppercut Fatality. Sound is a bit lower in quality. Sprite quality is still intact, save for missing frames. Auto Kombos are slightly faster in this version. Supreme Demonstration shows all but one finisher in the game and that's Scoprion's Hellraiser. Rain now has Reptile's fighting stance animation.

Noone fixates on the N64 version because it plays nothing like UMK3 arcade. It's like the SNES UMK3 with wonky physics and bad sound. Is it fun to play? Sure. But it isn't accurate to the arcade in the least and so many players prefer the PSX version.

Davey_8000 said:
Noone fixates on the N64 version because it plays nothing like UMK3 arcade. It's like the SNES UMK3 with wonky physics and bad sound. Is it fun to play? Sure. But it isn't accurate to the arcade in the least and so many players prefer the PSX version.
'Scuse me? XD

Last I checked, the PSX version didn't have finite credits, Ultimate Kombat Kodes, unlockable characters and fluid transitions with Shang Tsung.

Quantity does not equal quality. It may have a larger roster, but that's the only reason it gets by. Games up to UMK3 didn't let you choose boss characters on the get-go. That just makes the game too easy.

Kaihedgie said:
'Scuse me? XD

Last I checked, the PSX version didn't have finite credits, Ultimate Kombat Kodes, unlockable characters and fluid transitions with Shang Tsung.

Quantity does not equal quality. It may have a larger roster, but that's the only reason it gets by. Games up to UMK3 didn't let you choose boss characters on the get-go. That just makes the game too easy.
Apparently you didn't read what I typed. The roster is the only reason it gets by? How about, I don't know, GOOD GAMEPLAY? Ultimate Kombat Kodes and unlockable characters don't mean anything, because the PSX has all the characters at the start. It seems you are looking at it from strictly a single-player standpoint, because bosses and credits don't mean a thing in multiplayer. I pointed out the reason why noone wants to play or talk about the N64 version: bad gameplay and sound. The only thing that you put that would have any impact in a versus setting is Shang morphs, and thats what, a 2 second load time? Who cares?

tl;dr: N64 has sucky gameplay and single player MK sucks.

Davey_8000 said:
Apparently you didn't read what I typed. The roster is the only reason it gets by? How about, I don't know, GOOD GAMEPLAY? Ultimate Kombat Kodes and unlockable characters don't mean anything, because the PSX has all the characters at the start. It seems you are looking at it from strictly a single-player standpoint, because bosses and credits don't mean a thing in multiplayer. I pointed out the reason why noone wants to play or talk about the N64 version: bad gameplay and sound. The only thing that you put that would have any impact in a versus setting is Shang morphs, and thats what, a 2 second load time? Who cares?

tl;dr: N64 has sucky gameplay and single player MK sucks.
There is no real clear distinction gameplay between either of the ports and I should know as I've played both versions. But if there really is a difference, then tell me just how 'grand' that version is.

MKT PSX doesn't really provide much of a challenge and the long loading times plague the game all over.

Shang Tsung morphs? How about 2 to 30 seconds tops?

OJuggernaut0 said:
Does it really matter which on is better? Hardly anyone plays either version anyway.
Unfortunately, it sorta does D:

It's pretty much SNES/Genesis (Megadrive) MKI all over again. Both are different in what they offer. MKT PSX has its characters, MKT N64 has its content.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the N64 version has a more arcade-y experience than the other versions. Those other versions feel like you're playin' some kind of derivative. Maybe that's just me as I've grown up playin' the N64 version my whole life though I have played the other versions

I just know he's gonna verbally rape me now

I'm not trying to
Kaihedgie said:
Unfortunately, it sorta does D:

It's pretty much SNES/Genesis (Megadrive) MKI all over again. Both are different in what they offer. MKT PSX has its characters, MKT N64 has its content.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the N64 version has a more arcade-y experience than the other versions. Those other versions feel like you're playin' some kind of derivative. Maybe that's just me as I've grown up playin' the N64 version my whole life though I have played the other versions

I just know he's gonna verbally rape me now
I'm not trying to "verbally rape" you. All I did was answer your question. People prefer the PSX version because it has more arcade accurate gameplay. That's all. Sorry If I offended you.

But like Juggernaut said, its not like anyone plays them anymore anyway (except wazzy plays it Kaillera I think)

With the way the fandom acts, I wouldn't be surprised if someone bit my head off. It's just that the N64 felt more complete. The other versions felt incomplete to me. The 'Classic' characters didn't even have endings, nor did Kintaro, Goro and Motaro, despite being playable characters right from the get-go.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Bottom line: The N64 port of MKT is the worst version of MKT. No load times dont make it better in anyway. The game is broken beyond broken, the graphical restrictions totally fucked up the psyhics, which is didnt break....it destroyed it. The game is just bad. Now sure, there are elements of each MKT port that I wish could have been brought together to make one good port, but fact is that the whole project was rushed, done very very poorly and wasnt tested at all.

MKT is a joke, and N64 port is the worst of the worst.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Bitch Bitch Bitch. People's opinions are just that. Opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. I personally never had an N64, so I have no basis for comparison. I went from SNES straight to PSX. I never really liked MKT on PSX all that much because of load times. That being said, after all the ill-tempered banter being slung back and forth, I thought some of the "bickerers" should just do this...

MK3fan said:
Bitch Bitch Bitch. People's opinions are just that. Opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. I personally never had an N64, so I have no basis for comparison. I went from SNES straight to PSX. I never really liked MKT on PSX all that much because of load times. That being said, after all the ill-tempered banter being slung back and forth, I thought some of the "bickerers" should just do this...

Get a burger? Or blow ourselves?

Both of those cost money, buddy. Money I don't have.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Davey_8000 said:
Get a burger? Or blow ourselves?

Both of those cost money, buddy. Money I don't have.
Neither. I was inferring that we all stick our fists in our mouths so we can't argue anymore.

black album said:
I don't play either much but I hate loading times so I would rather play n64
there's a no sound version of mkt for psx that doesn't take so much time to load... but again it's without music, but with screams, sounds of punches, kicks and other stuff...

Tim Static

Adminerator
OJuggernaut0 said:
And?

yeah, MvC2 is broken, sure. But since its still a tourney heavy game, there is alot of "rules" that makes the gameplay you see in tournies alot more interesting, alot more exciting, etc. You dont see infinites in every match. And MvC2 wasnt a poorly, untested POS like MKT is. Bad programming is bad programming. So yes, they both have issues, but one is fun & good and the other is fun & bad.