What's new

MKAK: first impressions

MKAK: first impressions (ps3)

Kensidj said:
Are all of these complaints making it to the right ears? I mean, I don't really know any of the developers personally but I imagine some of the people on this site do
Seems like plenty of people are complaining over on Test Your Might, and I'm sure that's the site that the devs would pay most attention to.

iammud

Noob

Vassago187 said:
I'm pretty sure the MKII port is faster than arcade. It felt really fast unless I'm just used to the laggy online games and my MAME cab is fucked.
You're absolutely right, it's at least 10% faster. Because of their insane frame rates, they've had to nix the DCS sound, in favor for samples. These sound like the original recordings before they sampled them to put them on the board.

Vert said:
Just embed all three parts in MAME,
add P2P kaillera client with a nice GUI and don't touch anything else.
I currently have kaillera, n02 p2p, and mamehub scripted to work with hyperspin (arcade cabinet frontend/gui). I could package something similar to what you're saying here. If netherrhealm rips us off again, I think I just might.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

mud said:
You're absolutely right, it's at least 10% faster. Because of their insane frame rates, they've had to nix the DCS sound, in favor for samples. These sound like the original recordings before they sampled them to put them on the board.

I currently have kaillera, n02 p2p, and mamehub scripted to work with hyperspin (arcade cabinet frontend/gui). I could package something similar to what you're saying here. If netherrhealm rips us off again, I think I just might.
Mud, how long you think it would take to do that?

iammud

Noob

DCIguy said:
Mud, how long you think it would take to do that?
Uhm, maybe a week, maybe a month...not sure. It really wouldn't be hard to do though. The unknown part for me right now is the leader boards. As for tying in any mame or netplay client to a fancy gui, no problem.

Edit- I'll start working on this now, but I will only finish and release it if mkak pc really sucks.

If I used p2p, I'd need a server setup a special way to restore the Waiting Games feature for all (adjusted) p2p clients, and use that feature for the pretend mkak. Mamehub really would be the easiest, due to the source. Would be cool to put em side by side, and let the users decide. I could use mamehub servers to do the match making, and then give p2p as a secondary option for windows users (mamehub is cross platform, so if I went that route, I'd make the frontend cross platform too).

I should also add, since cmk has so many software developer doubters, that we're not boasting for recognition. We can have all the ideas, plans, and know how in the world, but without the proper motivation & interest it never usually gets finished. We talk about projects with the community to try to get inspiration, and so rarely do we get any input (I know I'm not the only dev who feels this way). If you don't have proper user input/beta testing you get software like Netherrhealm releases. And what's the point in writing something that no one will use? So tell me wtf you guys want, and I'll try to make it happen.

2nd edit - Alone I'm not exactly the best man for this job. However, I'm friends with both the p2p dev and the mamehub dev, so I can get more source support than the average bear. If I could just get one more developer to link up with, preferably one with some mame source experience, we could have something really nice in no time.

Well, based on this topic, I'm going to hold off on buying MKAK which is really disappointing since I know for sure that UMK3 done correctly is much better and more fun than MK9 and I've been anticipating this collection for months now. Looks like picking up Third Strike first was a good idea too since I'm having a blast learning that game. I'll consider this game again when they resolve of these issues.

I keep trying this in hopes that it'll be fixed every morning I wake up. definitly not so. This morning I did fight a lao vs cage match. Everytime he did Cage's shadow kick I'd try to uppercut him but my uppercut would go right though. Has anyone else seen this?

mud said:

I think the reason they nixed the DCS sound was more because they were planning on doing an HD Kollection. Other Ocean probably had already started work on replacing all the sound effects. Also the clapping is not a higher quality version of the original arcade sound. While the sample is higher quality, the clapping doesn't sound like theres dozens of people clapping-- more like one or two.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
bcrt2000 said:
I think the reason they nixed the DCS sound was more because they were planning on doing an HD Kollection. Other Ocean probably had already started work on replacing all the sound effects. Also the clapping is not a higher quality version of the original arcade sound. While the sample is higher quality, the clapping doesn't sound like theres dozens of people clapping-- more like one or two.
This brings up a very good point. It's possible that a lot of the problems with this game are the result of beginning an HD collection, then nixing it for the arcade collection. Has anyone brought that up to Other Ocean or WB?

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
i got this yesterday......its way to bright, sound is shit,it kept dropping sindels auto combo on me vs male ninja's(wtf),mk2 uppercuts wiff like crazy,the mk1 cab doesnt have cage on it and its not a mk1 cab lol.played one online match of umk and couldnt even get ermacs tks out....shits weak

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Ed Boon, NRS, and to whom it may concern:

I appreciate the sense of urgency to bring the collection out for us to play. However, I feel the balance was shifted and it's possible that this project was rushed. The most seasoned veterans all over the world are noticing flaws in not only netcode but the game itself. MK9 has already seen multiple patches, and while that is a good thing that someone cares enough to fix what is broken... a lot of it could have been polished before it hit shelves.

I, for one, do not want to buy a brand new sportscar and have it break down later the same week.

Please understand that we care as a community, maybe even a little too much that we end up getting bitchy. But really it all boils down to customer service. And for me to shovel out $70 at this point and have four games that don't run even run 100% is just unacceptable to me.

This post is just another of my two thousand. Just another post of millions on the internet in all kinds of forums. I honestly hope someone important reads this and they think about this right here:

A guy comes home from the end of his 12 hour day at work. He is already upset that he doesn't have a PS3, so he had to wait an extra day to download his games for no explained reason. He pays $9.99 and downloads the games and they don't play the same offline (as if they're edited), and he can't play against his friends that he hasn't played with in years. This guy tears up over a VIDEO GAME and it not only ruins an already terrible day, but is the end of hope for this guy waiting for just a tiny hint that someone cares about him as a customer and fan.

What happens if this person is someone that truly loves this game and has no other ambition in his life but to play these games?

Now, this one scenario might not seem like a big deal to you but... multiply that a couple ten thousand, even millions of times. What do you have left?

Gematria

Noob
Dreamcatcher said:
Ed Boon, NRS, and to whom it may concern:

I appreciate the sense of urgency to bring the collection out for us to play. However, I feel the balance was shifted and it's possible that this project was rushed. The most seasoned veterans all over the world are noticing flaws in not only netcode but the game itself. MK9 has already seen multiple patches, and while that is a good thing that someone cares enough to fix what is broken... a lot of it could have been polished before it hit shelves.

I, for one, do not want to buy a brand new sportscar and have it break down later the same week.

Please understand that we care as a community, maybe even a little too much that we end up getting bitchy. But really it all boils down to customer service. And for me to shovel out $70 at this point and have four games that don't run even run 100% is just unacceptable to me.

This post is just another of my two thousand. Just another post of millions on the internet in all kinds of forums. I honestly hope someone important reads this and they think about this right here:

A guy comes home from the end of his 12 hour day at work. He is already upset that he doesn't have a PS3, so he had to wait an extra day to download his games for no explained reason. He pays $9.99 and downloads the games and they don't play the same offline (as if they're edited), and he can't play against his friends that he hasn't played with in years. This guy tears up over a VIDEO GAME and it not only ruins an already terrible day, but is the end of hope for this guy waiting for just a tiny hint that someone cares about him as a customer and fan.

What happens if this person is someone that truly loves this game and has no other ambition in his life but to play these games?

Now, this one scenario might not seem like a big deal to you but... multiply that a couple ten thousand, even millions of times. What do you have left?
Wow, GREAT post dude.

edited out the double quote

Vert

Noob
I've just launched it for the first time and I'm, like all of you, disappointed..
I checked only MK1. The general gameplay seems a bit 'soft' comparing to the arcade port.
Can't figure out how it's different but it is.
I don't also understand why almost every sound is different - clear jumps, jk's, uppercuts, block hits etc.
It doesn't feel right at all. Some of sfx are similar to snes port - just shitty lol.
I tried to play also some online matches, most of them were choppy. I experienced a black screen a couple times (select screen music was only heared).
In the end the game just froze my PS3, had to turn it off.
GG OO...

I'm gonna try to find someone on kaillera now.

Wish I would've checked out some impressions before buying it. It's a fucking disgrace IMO, I can't even do basic combos. And the graphics actually look worse than the old UMK3 on XBL.

Is the "Beat MK1" achievement broken? I beat it last night and it should have given me 2 achievements for 55g's, since it was for both the "Beat MK1" & "Beat all 3 games" achievements.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
JAAajaj same thing happened to me but with mk2. I beat mk1 first, then mk2 and then umk3. Nothing happened. but when I beat mk2 for the 2nd time it gave me the award thingie lol

ZAQ said:
I had to do this as well. I wasn't sure if I had to beat them on some kind of order or something. But the second time I beat umk3 it worked.
Yeah, after I beat MK1 for the 2nd time I got the achievement. So I guess its kinda broken?

Happened to me when trying to beat MK2. Needed to finish MK2 to get both the "finish MK2" achievement and the "finish all 3 games" achievement. I beat MK2 twice but no achievements. Mane told me to beat it without changing characters so I used Kitana from start to finish and got both achievements. The first time I played MK and UMK3 I got the "finish MK" and "finish UMK3" achievements with no problem AND I used different characters against the AI in both games..................weird.

Tim Static

Adminerator
ZAQ said:
Some people seem to think that this game started out as the HD Kollection. I think it would be pretty interesting if someone were to decompile it and find some of the files/imgs that they were trying to use with the game(s) if that's the case ^_^.
interesting idea. wouldnt doubt it, because something just seem off, which means the core game was "tampered" with.

ZAQ said:
Some people seem to think that this game started out as the HD Kollection. I think it would be pretty interesting if someone were to decompile it and find some of the files/imgs that they were trying to use with the game(s) if that's the case ^_^.
That makes sense. I played a bit more tonight and the game is way off. How does a product that is this bad get released? Did nobody test it out? I was playing against the CPU and some cross-overs literally went through my opponent. They also left out one move as far as I can tell, Raiden's shock-gab.

1/10.