What's new

MK9: Unofficial Tier List Speculation, and/or Character Shenanigans Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Well so long as we're dreaming here. I'd like Stryker's roundhouse to get a hitbox that makes it a reliable anti-air and for his fake gunshot to be able to be canceled to block without completing a full dash. Do those two things and he might be the character Tom Brady was describing on Silent's stream tonight.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Well at least now I know who to point fingers at when NRS takes the fun out of this game bit by bit and sends it to a corner with a dunce cap on like it has been for the past decade.

GGs.

So to resume: Kung Lao, Ermac, Smoke and Cyrax are getting nerfed big time. Kano gets buffed. But Baraka, Sheeva, Quan Chi and Jax get nothing..

I kinda agree with Cyrax and Ermac's nerfs. Kung Lao and Smoke were a bit uncalled for and just too much imo. Kano didn't even need those buffs tbh. And Baraka, admittedly the worst character in the game, gets absolutely nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Not even 1/2% damage buff. NRS really wants Baraka to be the new Dan I think.
Kano :r:fk most likely wasn't a buff but a fix, I always questioned why a kick to the opponent ankle was a high, Now Up Ball faster recovery is a buff and I don't know why they did that but I will not get annoyed for a freebie. :p

True, but he's getting more stuff I heard. Or maybe I misheard and that's all he gets.

Well at least now I know who to point fingers at when NRS takes the fun out of this game bit by bit and sends it to a corner with a dunce cap on like it has been for the past decade.

GGs.
So nerfing and glitch fixing = "taking the fun out of the game"?

Funny. You remind me of those nostalgic Sagat players that desperately want their vanilla back. :) Yet Sagat still wins in AE.

So to resume: Kung Lao, Ermac, Smoke and Cyrax are getting nerfed big time. Kano gets buffed. But Baraka, Sheeva, Quan Chi and Jax get nothing..

I kinda agree with Cyrax and Ermac's nerfs. Kung Lao and Smoke were a bit uncalled for and just too much imo. Kano didn't even need those buffs tbh. And Baraka, admittedly the worst character in the game, gets absolutely nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Not even 1/2% damage buff. NRS really wants Baraka to be the new Dan I think.
Can I humbly ask you to tell me the Ermac and Smoke nerfs? I have only hear the Kung Lao and Cyrax Nerf.

Mostly damage nerfs for Ermac. But not as bad as Kung Lao. He might also have a bit more recovery on his push but I'm not sure about that.

oZii

Noob
Hmm so based on that info on Kung Lao the Spin still retains its same utility and same properties he just doesnt get as much damage off it and they changed low hat.

Teleport still good - Check
F+3 roll still good - Check
Spin Still has small window to punish - Check
Spin Still leads to good damage - Check
Regular hat toss still the same - Check
All ex moves intact - Check
Dive Kick still has same properties - Check
Still able to combo off Xray - Check

If those changes come in they don't change anything about how he is played he will still be Top Tier. Whether eating 18% off Spin or 28% off spin its still dangerous doesnt change that fact.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Blocking is broken in this game, but no one uses it so I can't really call for a nerf.

The only people I've seen ABUSE the hell out of block is REO, Tom, and Perfect Legend... although there were a lot of times when PL didn't abuse it especially against Cage's overhead at PowerUp...wait didn't PL use "automatic win" Lao though? Hrmm...

On far less serious note, I broke down Kung Lao for Krayzie Bone (who is constantly placing top at tournaments) at his place and now he knows what to do.

I don't like calling people out or calling people names but this moment deserves it

Anybody that is happy about the nerf this early in the game's life is retarded.

No not because it is or is not justified, because NRS is implying that MK9 is dictated to go a certain way, and that players should not even be given the time to possibily develop either the skills or the strats to adjust to the game.

Most GOOD gaming company that makes patches, do so by atleast weeks if not months of observation, and especially not in the first month of the game release (excluding game breaking scenarios).

edit
I guess it would be unfair to make the statement that only good gaming companies do things XYZ way.

I'll be ok to demand a tweak if lets say Kung Lao had a, lets say, stupid 70% easy combo with 1 meter that he could do anywhere on screen and easy setup. Ok that's broken. But as of right now? is he really strong? yes. Is he over represented compared to the rest of the cast? At the moment you could say so. But is he at the point where 80% of matches are KL mirrors solely because he is the only viable character? No

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Blocking is broken in this game, but no one uses it so I can't really call for a nerf.

The only people I've seen ABUSE the hell out of block is REO, Tom, and Perfect Legend... although there were a lot of times when PL didn't abuse it especially against Cage's overhead at PowerUp.

On far less serious note, I broke down Kung Lao for Krayzie Bone (who is constantly placing top at tournaments) at his place and now he knows what to do.
:en:blk is too good.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
:en:blk is too good.
Real talk, :en:blk is godlike.

Man how about that Raiden eh Bone? These posters THINK they know what their talking about when it comes to nerfs and buffs but yet they have no clue about the most broken character in the game.... oh wait because the game has only been out for LESS than a month... gee I almost forgot.

Carry on.

I don't like calling people out or calling people names but this moment deserves it

Anybody that is happy about the nerf this early in the game's life is retarded.

No not because it is or is not justified, because NRS is implying that MK9 is dictated to go a certain way, and that players should not even be given the time to possibily develop either the skills or the strats to adjust to the game.

Most GOOD gaming company that makes patches, do so by atleast weeks if not months of observation, and especially not in the first month of the game release (excluding game breaking scenarios).

edit
I guess it would be unfair to make the statement that only good gaming companies do things XYZ way.
Not to defend anything but, as a counter to that argument I could point out how Capcom nerf and buf random things by chance, if not you can ask all the Gen players in SSFIV where they removed his multi strike loop which they saw coming but also nerfed him even more in areas where he was already lacking.

Not to defend anything but, as a counter to that argument I could point out how Capcom nerf and buf random things by chance, if not you can ask all the Gen players in SSFIV where they removed his multi strike loop which they saw coming but also nerfed him even more in areas where he was already lacking.
Capcom has made some stupid patches, and I'm not going to defend them for their decision. But I'll give them atleast the credit that they didn't hotfix/patch SF4 a month after release. (did they nerf sentinel within a month? I don't remember).

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Capcom has made some stupid patches, and I'm not going to defend them for their decision. But I'll give them atleast the credit that they didn't hotfix/patch SF4 a month after release. (did they nerf sentinel within a month? I don't remember).
Not many people realize this but Sentinel didn't need that big of a nerf (btw this isn't coming from my mouth it's coming from top players who I know personally and have won majors). Capcom listened to the wrong crowd. Sadly, I feel the same is happening here with MK9.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Real talk, :en:blk is godlike.

Man how about that Raiden eh Bone? These posters THINK they know what their talking about when it comes to nerfs and buffs but yet they have no clue about the most broken character in the game.... oh wait because the game has only been out for LESS than a month... gee I almost forgot.

Carry on.
lmao

Not many people realize this but Sentinel didn't need that big of a nerf. Capcom listened to the wrong crowd. Sadly, I feel the same is happening here with MK9.
Sentinel needed a nerf in only one department, and in this case its an universal nerf, XF ratios are stupidly high. XF should be nerfed (imo.) 30%~ across the board. The only other possible tweak would be his dmg, but even then that is debatable.

NRS, I feel is too new with the whole balancing/patching scene. Shit even Blizzard gets things wrong and they've been balancing their games non-stop but at least released in long intervals to see how things pan out. In this case, I hope NRS doesn't go on a patching spree thinking "oh we can just reverse whatever we do" because it will damage the competitive scene so much, that MK9 will be a joke by the time EVO gets here.

I think it was just barely a moth, but I'm not sure.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
I would love to see the characters who are seriously lacking in tools to receive attention first. Then study - with their new tools - how they fair against the Top Tier characters.

I would love to see the characters who are seriously lacking in tools to receive attention first. Then study - with their new tools - how they fair against the Top Tier characters.
I agree with this statement. It is much easier to understand who is lacking what, than to understand why XYZ is overshadowing ABC. But even then, its still less than a month in the game's release

Currently Baraka need a tank and aerial support to do that so I agree, unfortunately is easier nerf stuff than buff it, or that's what every fighting game company seams to think if I go by Capcom and ArkSys patching tendencies.

Currently Baraka need a tank and aerial support to do that so I agree, unfortunately is easier nerf stuff than buff it, or that's what every fighting game company seams to think if I go by Capcom and ArkSys patching tendencies.
It's easier to buff/nerf things by tweaking numbers. It is a lot hard to give/takeaway tools that make the char top tier.

For instance, lets say KL was deemed too powerful in his current state, and NRS decided to nerf his dmg by 25%. They just effectively made the character weaker but still having all the tools to be good. Now to compare to lets say having a char who has no tools, be buffed in a way that they do stupid amount of dmg but have no tools to setup that dmg. The character is still "bad" despite the buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.