What's new

MK3 vs Umk3

So if you have UMK3 is there really much reason to play MK3? Are there benefits to playing MK3 with it's fewer chars and such?

mk3 doesn't have jumping in combos that connect from the air. im pretty sure they added that in umk3,that alone is reason to not play mk3 over umk3. i believe im right anyway

S

scheissn

1. SubZero is a lot of fun to use.
2. You barely have to worry about jp launching?
3. Cyrax has an alternate combo string in one of the versions (I'm not sure if it is in all of them or not)
4. Cyrax has a lot of really fucking dope combos in the earlier versions of the MK3 because you can throw bombs after the net.
5. Kabal's other combos give more damage (making them less useless)ex: hp,hp,d+lp,d+hp and I think he can "re-dash" you if you are hit with a dash while in air and fall out of it.
6. Sindel has a aaP, aaP, scream inf

I'm sure there are a lot more, but that is all I can come up with off the top of my head right now.
It is worth playing with, just to mess with some of the properties, but then it inevitably goes back on the shelf. You wouldn't believe how much jumping starters helps umk3.

ScheissNussen said:
1. SubZero is a lot of fun to use.
2. You barely have to worry about jp launching?
3. Cyrax has an alternate combo string in one of the versions (I'm not sure if it is in all of them or not)
4. Cyrax has a lot of really fucking dope combos in the earlier versions of the MK3 because you can throw bombs after the net.
5. Kabal's other combos give more damage (making them less useless)ex: hp,hp,d+lp,d+hp and I think he can "re-dash" you if you are hit with a dash while in air and fall out of it.
6. Sindel has a aaP, aaP, scream inf

I'm sure there are a lot more, but that is all I can come up with off the top of my head right now.
It is worth playing with, just to mess with some of the properties, but then it inevitably goes back on the shelf. You wouldn't believe how much jumping starters helps umk3.
its been so long sinc ei played regular mk3. the jumping starters really changed everything. its hard to go back after not having those i bet

I just ask cause I've got em both on the cab but wasn't sure if MK3 was really worth it. Probably worth playing around with but not too much

Tim Static

Adminerator
UMk3 is a revision of MK3.

Basically, MK3 is to UMK3 as MK2 Rv2.1 is to MK2Rv3.1.

The jamma boards for UMK3 are MK3 boards with the rom update.

Mk3 is obsolete, but is, as all MK's are, pretty fun everyonce in a while. (see Shiesse's post lol)

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Here's the story behind UMK3. MK3 was rushed out early by Midway. Ed Boon didn't have time to do everything he wanted to do with the game. For instance, Stryker's gun was supposed to be able to be used in MK3, but because the game was rushed, they didn't have time to incorporate it. Same thing with Smoke. In MK3, his chest 'spear' comes from the edge of the screen instead of his chest, in UMK3, they fixed that. Basically, UMK3 is what MK3 would have been if it hadn't been rushed out. Because I had to have MK3 to komplete my kollection, I still play it often.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jLjWoxMvo[/youtube]

S

scheissn

dookiebrain said:
its been so long sinc ei played regular mk3. the jumping starters really changed everything. its hard to go back after not having those i bet
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the reason rushing wasn't used as much back then, and of course because it was a huge change of pace from mk2.

You can jump punch starter in mk3 too but it is really difficult. I'm not even sure if it works with most of the characters or not. I think it was more of a glitch or something that they only half implemented.

what are 360's down to these days? I'm really dying to get some UMK3 action down. Playing alone on the cab just isn't the way to do it :(

Tim Static

Adminerator
Vassago187 said:
what are 360's down to these days? I'm really dying to get some UMK3 action down. Playing alone on the cab just isn't the way to do it :(
brand new, the one you need to play online is $300

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water
If MK Team would knew you would buy X360 to play UMK3 instead of MKvsDC, they would have a mental breakdown ;D

hey vassago, the real killer about 360 (which made me sell it,lol) is the controller. when you try to use the controller, you might find your self not even able to play umk3 at all. trust me, the controller is soooo bad, i had to completely sell the fucking thing. i just play umk3 on kaillera

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water
I heard people buy some alternate versions of controller. The problem is that original d-pad is very bad there, and doesnt recognizes inputs properly, like making you jump instead of firing a fireball

Black Shroud said:
If MK Team would knew you would buy X360 to play UMK3 instead of MKvsDC, they would have a mental breakdown ;D
that's the sad irony of their situation! :)

Dooks: no one has gotten a dualshock-type pad working on the 360 yet?? Even the 3rd party controllers don't work well for it?

Vassago187 said:
Black Shroud said:
that's the sad irony of their situation! :)

Dooks: no one has gotten a dualshock-type pad working on the 360 yet?? Even the 3rd party controllers don't work well for it?

you can use the dual shock, you wil need the "xfps 3.0 sniper" its about $100. i just didnt feel like getting it,matter of fact i didnt even like the 360 one bit, im a ps3 fanboy,lol

I honestly don't understand why they don't just port all of the MK's to all systems. Wii included. Just do it now you jerkasses! Give the masses what they want!!! :mad:

S

scheissn

If you are going to ONLY play umk3 on your 360, just get this shit:
http://www.buy.com/prod/microsoft-reb4j00001r-microsoft-xbox-360-premium-console-factory/q/loc/20269/listingid/38483023/210251841.html?adid=17992&dcaid=17992

coupon: http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=81591396

Otherwise, DELL has had 15-20% off all systems for almost a year now.
The only thing that sucks is that I think they sold all of their "arcade" versions of the system or you could have gotten a new one for $160-170.

black album said:
The 360 controller owns, your crazy dookie.
some players really love that controller, i cant though. i know phoenix did a lot of modding on his 360 controller and he loves it. but when i moved left or right,it would just jump...lol

dookiebrain said:
black album said:
The 360 controller owns, your crazy dookie.
some players really love that controller, i cant though. i know phoenix did a lot of modding on his 360 controller and he loves it. but when i moved left or right,it would just jump...lol
I never liked the rounded d-pad design. too easy for your finger to roll to one side and what not. I'll just keep eagerly waiting for a linux kaillera client :(

ps. i don't think it's ever going to happen :(