What's new

Mk2 vs umk3

In more recent times with alot of hard work by individuals umk3 has become more popular and recognised as a competitive fighter. I myself am an mk2 whore and although really enjoy and support all the awesome offline tourneys for umk3 I keep wondering if mk2 has the same sort of potential?

Does mk2 have enough to work it's way back up in popularirty as umk3 has been?

Tim Static

Adminerator
IceyTruth said:
Does mk2 have enough to work it's way back up in popularirty as umk3 has been?
no.

MK2 is my favorite MK, but UMk3 is the best MK. Its fast paced, exciting and is still one of the best fighters out there. MK2 is old. Time has passed it by. Its still a great game, but the speed of the game, makes it kinda boring in some respects. If anything, make the HD remake a MK2 Turbo. :)

To be honest, MK2 does not hold a candle to UMK3.

UMK is faster, more balanced, has a larger roster, and arguably better gameplay. I do love MK2, but at a high level the game devolves into a turtle and spam war. UMK3 is always fast paced, as it rewards rushdown and mixups a lot more than MK2 because of its speed.

I do prefer the mk2 gameplay over Umk3, mainly due to I don't like what the run button brings to the game. I like that u have to earn getting close to a player in mk2 and when u do you can do mad jab pressure. Umk3 removes the use of projectiles in their common form as people can rush down so easily with little punishment.

It may just be nostalgia but I know I prefer mk2 gameplay, even if I'm in the minority :p

btbb99

Noob
IceyTruth said:
I do prefer the mk2 gameplay over Umk3, mainly due to I don't like what the run button brings to the game. I like that u have to earn getting close to a player in mk2 and when u do you can do mad jab pressure. Umk3 removes the use of projectiles in their common form as people can rush down so easily with little punishment.

It may just be nostalgia but I know I prefer mk2 gameplay, even if I'm in the minority :p

i completely agree with everything you said iceytruth, especially the first sentence. i agree so much i'll say it again, I HATE THE FUCKING RUN BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X820

Noob
To each his own ofcourse, both games are passed by time but both have great qualities and both are upstanding fighting games.

UMK3 is deeper and has far more mechanics overall inplemented, wich makes perfect sense in a way.

Downtalking UMK3 or preferring MK2 because it has autocombos, run etc isn't really a valid reason without giving it a chance, not just playing it, but really learning the game.

I disliked it at first too, it's kind of hard to get in to, especially if you have played MK2 for the longest time.

X820 said:
Downtalking UMK3 or preferring MK2 because it has autocombos, run etc isn't really a valid reason without giving it a chance, not just playing it, but really learning the game.
How is not liking a run button and auto combos in a game not a valid reason? I'm not a fan of those game mechanics but thats why I play MK2.

least it was a button dude they had to do something to compete with sf. At least it was umk3 and not turbo umk3 hyper kombat...could you imagine everyone moving around like theyre running all the time? lol

gremloc said:
least it was a button dude they had to do something to compete with sf. At least it was umk3 and not turbo umk3 hyper kombat...could you imagine everyone moving around like theyre running all the time? lol
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy UMK3 and do really enjoy watching the high level play. I personally just prefer playing MK2 thats all :)

Also turbo UMK3 hyper kombat sounds epic! ;)

ninjalord said:
...it was just a tweaked mk3 that no one really wanted. i say no one really wanted umk3, because from my arcade experience, back in the day, a lot less people played umk3 than mk2 or mk3.
Really? What backwoods city did you live in? UMK3 was monstrous where I lived, even after MK4 came out.

ninjalord said:
yeaah, thanks for the insults. can we just stick to the topic. all i know is, from 1997-until they closed down the arcade around 2001, most people had jumped over to sf3, mvc and the tekken series. but everyone has their own experiences and opinions. we're not debating the israeli/palestinian conflict, we're discussing 15 year old games. ask yourself, why were mk1 and mk2 so popular, while mk3 and umk3 were less loved? age may be another factor too though. how old are you davy? i'm 28. i remember there was a 20+ year old dude, back in the day, who religiously kept playing the mk series up to umk3. lol. i don't think he kept it up when mk4 came out. i wonder what happened to that dude, he has to be 40 years old now. he was sick at mk.
EDIT: Never mind.

first of all umk3 was NEVER less loved then mk1 or mk2, umk3 was WAY more popular in tourneys, how do i know this? because i was in multiple umk3 tourneys in 1997, mk1 and mk2 actually had NO tourney scene until umk3 hit, at least in my area. look at the sb5 umk3 tourney, how many people physically showed up, like 33? that's fucking lot of people for any MK. how many people show up for mk2 tourneys, 6 or 7?

i have no prob with umk3, been playing it since day 1 in the arcade. my only gripe with it is that unfort i just dont like it like mk2. rush down jabs and dial a combos are epic and a lot of fun. but when you get destroyed in umk3 versus mk2, you feel the destruction deeper inside then in mk2,lol

Tim Static

Adminerator
mk2 was WAY bigger in my area. game was bigger than big. so many tournies, i actually won several back then, before you guys had years and year to develop your talents and see what high level MK became!! :(

I think anyone who was actually around back then will tell you that there is no comparison between MK2 and any of the MK3 games in terms of general popularity in the arcades. MK2 was an arcade phenomenon, while MK3 was somewhat popular, but generally received as "meh".

I spent a lot of time with UMK3 on the 360 before MK2 came out on PSN.
Here are a few reasons why I think MK2 is better than the MK3 games:

1) The introduction of "dial-a-combos" was originally a ripoff of the Tekken series, and turned a lot of people off of the MK series. It cheapened the feel of the game and lowered the amount of skill needed to be competitive. Now instead of the awe and admiration you feel when your opponent does an impressive juggle combo on you, that feeling is replaced with frustration and boredom while you wait for some scrub to finish his 19-hit dial a combo. You can't do anything during an opponent's combo except hold block and hope he messes up somewhere. Even KI had c-c-c-combo breakers, for fuck's sake! I'll take MK2's juggle combos over that any day. They're much more impressive to watch, and take much more skill to execute.

2) The graphics, sound, and atmosphere in MK2 were a big improvement over MK1. MK3 didn't improve on any of these things, and my theory is that the Run button was introduced partly to compensate for the larger space between opponents due to the fighters being slightly smaller than in MK2. The stages also blow, and more than half of the characters are unoriginal. When they reached the point in development where they were sprite-swapping between like 3 or 4 robots, they should have come to the conclusion that the game needed more time in development.

3) The tier list isn't any more balanced than MK2's. Anyone who wants to win just runs straight to Kabal, Smoke, or maybe Nightwolf.

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
different strokes for different folks. i personally enjoy both games but prefer mk2. they're just two totally different games broken down. it's even hard for me to compare them. i will say that that out of the whole franchise that mk2 and umk3 are the only games i will ever touch...with the exception on mk1 here and there.

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
john2kx said:
2) The graphics, sound, and atmosphere in MK2 were a big improvement over MK1. MK3 didn't improve on any of these things, and my theory is that the Run button was introduced partly to compensate for the larger space between opponents due to the fighters being slightly smaller than in MK2. The stages also blow, and more than half of the characters are unoriginal. When they reached the point in development where they were sprite-swapping between like 3 or 4 robots, they should have come to the conclusion that the game needed more time in development.
i agree with this...makes sense when you think about it.

X820

Noob
Both the graphics and sound are better in UMK3, that they didn't choose to go dark and gritty and people didn't or don't like it, that's another story all together.
They made the sprites smaller due to the fast pased gameplay, not the other way around.
Don't you think that they could change the size with two clicks of a mouse?

While it's true that if you make two mistakes you're basicly done, this is what defines UMK3; think fast, act fast, make no mistake.. If you do it will cost you.
No second chance to jump back to the other side of the screen hoping to bait a RH or just sit there holding block. Not possible in UMK3, wich to me is a big plus.

ScheissNussen said:
If you guys don't like the run button, that is your preference and that's your choice. Clearly not all of the MK2 players liked MK3 when they introduced the run button, but like X said, maybe if they gave it a fair chance they would have. If that is all that is keeping any of your from trying/playing UMK3 then I think you should reconsider because you are writing off a good game that is very similar to the game you love without enough experience to make that decision.
+1

I missed out for a long time, not liking the "stupid autocombo" system myself, but once you look at it for what it is, as opposed from a MK2 point of view, UMK3 is one of the best fighting games ever made.

MKK hanzo

john2kx said:
1) The introduction of "dial-a-combos" was originally a ripoff of the Tekken series, and turned a lot of people off of the MK series. It cheapened the feel of the game and lowered the amount of skill needed to be competitive. Now instead of the awe and admiration you feel when your opponent does an impressive juggle combo on you, that feeling is replaced with frustration and boredom while you wait for some scrub to finish his 19-hit dial a combo. You can't do anything during an opponent's combo except hold block and hope he messes up somewhere. Even KI had c-c-c-combo breakers, for fuck's sake! I'll take MK2's juggle combos over that any day. They're much more impressive to watch, and take much more skill to execute.

3) The tier list isn't any more balanced than MK2's. Anyone who wants to win just runs straight to Kabal, Smoke, or maybe Nightwolf.
hmmm not to be offensive but..

last time I checked in a high level MKII match there is HARDLY any Juggles and if any it would be 2 or 3 hits at max. Oh and in UMK3 I havent seen (non inf) combos that top 11 or 12 hits so...

Also in UMK3 ALL characters can compete, MKII was a Jax-Mileena fest... Really I dont see where you got those "points".

Again not wanting to offend anyone.

MKK Hanzo_H said:
hmmm not to be offensive but..

last time I checked in a high level MKII match there is HARDLY any Juggles and if any it would be 2 or 3 hits at max. Oh and in UMK3 I havent seen (non inf) combos that top 11 or 12 hits so...

Also in UMK3 ALL characters can compete, MKII was a Jax-Mileena fest... Really I dont see where you got those "points".

Again not wanting to offend anyone.
I don't know what high-level matches you've been watching, but I almost always aim for the aaHP, which leads to at least 3 hit juggles for any character.. Just because it isn't a 28-hit dial a combo doesn't mean it isn't awesome to do.

And you don't have to cushion your posts with "no offense", I can take some healthy debate, that's why I posted in this thread.. lol

mk1 wins! ok seriously im mk1 player since forever... but for me mk2 is better cause it has less inf posibility then umk. Also i really dont know umk good enough too compare it with mk2 either... im just gonna express my taste, so no need too contradict me, cause my opinion dosent count anyway when it comes too thoes two games. All i can say is IN MY OPINION , games can get more variable in mk2 and more interesting cause u can do a lots of stuff here, while in umk is just run/jab kombo play" . For thoes who love kombos umk is the right path... but for me when i want variable interesting gameplay, mk2 is better then. Bottom line in general is mk1 wins lol

btbb99

Noob
@john2kx, your post were excellent in my opinion and i could not possibly agree with you more, and thats EVERYTHING you said, good job!

and yes john, anyone that says umk3 is more balanced then mk2 is full of shit, i was at the tournament on philly and i must admit that it was fun watching the umk3 tournament because those guys were top players and they were really battling but all they were using 95% of the time was kabal, nightwolf, and smoke.

@ninjalord, your last post about x820 thinking about what he wanted to do is the perfect explanation of why in my opinion mk2
is far better than umk3, i couldn't agree with you more, i'll take the thinking mans over the button masher any day of the week. thanks for posting that!

X820

Noob
I think it's a shame that you guys think MK2 is getting bashed and bash UMK3 in return, while this isn't the case, at all.

High level MK2 play = Jax, Mileena, Liu Kang.

High level UMK3 play = Kabal, Hsmoke, Ermac, (Kung Lao, Sonya, Jax, Kano) pretty much.

The thinking aspect is definitly there in UMK3, it's only twice the speed.
Showing a vid of me pushing F,F,B,B doesn't really prove a point, as I can show 5 other vids of me doing the same thing in UMK3.

Again, no one is bashing MK2, no need to defend it ;)

X820

Noob
lol yea..

btw; I want to add that me doing the F,B movement wasn't me thinking, but rather me turtling and trying to bait Dread, him not beeing really experienced at MK2, he fell for it a few times, wich in this vid he didn't (good win btw).

So if baiting through turtling and so on makes MK2 a better game, then yes it is.

For the record, I prefer UMK3 over MK2 these days, but I'll never bash MK2.

MKK hanzo

john2kx said:
I don't know what high-level matches you've been watching, but I almost always aim for the aaHP, which leads to at least 3 hit juggles for any character.. Just because it isn't a 28-hit dial a combo doesn't mean it isn't awesome to do.

And you don't have to cushion your posts with "no offense", I can take some healthy debate, that's why I posted in this thread.. lol
Ok lets debate:

3 hit juggles? Hmmmmmmmm Unless you are Scorp/Mileena/Sub Zero you would not get anythig up from 2 hits. Or im blind. How does Kitana scores 3 hits from a mid screen AA hp? Reptile? Jax? LOL

Also, how do you aim to AA Hp in a game where jumping is almost banned cause you eat a free HK or ninja RH?

And again, how do you AA Hp a defensive Mileena or Jax player that will NEVER jump at you?

I think you are playing a different MKII version than me.

And regarding UMK3 I repeat: There is no multihit dial-a-combo that goes up to 10 hits even with kick starter + juggles + corner setups. At least not realistically.

In the end Im NOT bashing MKII. I just love i t a lot but prefer UMK3 cause its more varied, fast, fun to play and watch.

MKII is more about zoning and exploiting the gameplay holes, wich I love BTW.

Im not arguin wich one do you like the most or anything. On paper its clear that UMK3 IS the superior product if we took away the audio/visual presentation, and on tournament play everybody knows wich one is the winner, regardless of our opinion.

EDIT: Have any vids of you playing at high level MKII? It would be interesting to see ;)