What's new

MK12 Speculation

hmm not that is important but ....dunno if Another Rap/Trap song for the reveal trailer would fit ,but its almost 90% sure its gonna be like mkx and mk11 vibe.
I think hip hop and rap work really well for martial arts and combat, especially when it's all drenched in as much aggression as MK does. I didn't love their song choices for those trailers though.

What genre of music should MK12 have? More like a movie score, or a mix of genre’s? Should each character have their own theme?
I think a mixture of stringy instruments and gongs n shit like the classic games with some of that old arcadey sound would go a long way. I'm still of the opinion that if MK11 just had way more gongs it would have felt better overall.

Art Lean

Noob
What genre of music should MK12 have? More like a movie score, or a mix of genre’s? Should each character have their own theme?
I want a return to the Asian and otherworldly mystical sounds of MKs 1 and 2. Loved several of the MK9 remixes that brought them freshly up to date, whilst Shang Tsung's Gardens is for me the best stage theme since 1992.

Gimme gongs, guzheng and erhu.

And give the character select screen its own theme, seriously I cannot bear the MK11 theme that plays over EVERY SINGLE menu. I switched all the music off in the game ages ago just to get rid of that goddamn menu music, but then the stages feel so lifeless without any music playing since they have such bare minimum of background ambience (not that their music was remotely memorable, but its still makes each level feel far too dead for my liking).

Why exactly doesn't Dan Forden do all music for Mortal Kombat anymore, has that ever been mentioned?

God I'd love something like this updated classic in the next game:

I understand this, but I appreciate the 3D era. The correct way is keeping it 2D because that is better for gameplay, but otherwise import all the things from the 3D era: story, konquest, spundtracks, stage fatalities, characters
We'll need to agree to disagree. The 3D era is just... not good. At all. It should never be revisited again.

The game should heavily focus on poka themes, proper according use. Instead of Fatal Blows, they can have dance offs. To poka.

I want a return to the Asian and otherworldly mystical sounds of MKs 1 and 2. Loved several of the MK9 remixes that brought them freshly up to date, whilst Shang Tsung's Gardens is for me the best stage theme since 1992.

Gimme gongs, guzheng and erhu.
Shang Tsung's Island Ruins is exactly that and definitely a good fit to the stage, but you can't have that style on every stage - Cyber Lin Kuei Assembly or the bunker need something more sci-fi/grungy. The story has expanded so much and along with that the stages, it's hard to have a particular style across the board. For the most part most stages have music that fits them, albeit not exactly in the style that most people seem to want - being something a little more memorable and obvious like the original trilogy.

And give the character select screen its own theme, seriously I cannot bear the MK11 theme that plays over EVERY SINGLE menu.
This was definitely a mistake. The select screen with it's own theme would have at least changed things up from the main menu music.

JontyHar23

Never Stop Improving
if they keep the breakaway then make it like injustice 2
Heavily agreed. I think Injustice 2’s air escapes are the superior version of what they were trying to go for in MK11. It feels a lot more risk/reward-based for both the offender and the defender.

I think MK11’s breakaway could’ve worked well enough if there wasn’t the “fast” breakaway timing and/or certain instances universally prevented breakaways for a brief time, like Krushing Blows or Kounter Hits.

I’m not against the idea of breakaway, but I’d also be fine with the typical Breakers being brought back or even tweaked. Maybe something like the 3D era games where you only get a set number of breakers to use per match, for example.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Please no more break away, just go back to breakers. They worked perfectly fine. NRS needs to focus on changing things that actually matter, like finally doing something with the stance switch button and get rid of 50/50 throw breaks.

Why exactly doesn't Dan Forden do all music for Mortal Kombat anymore, has that ever been mentioned?
I'm just speculating but he probably enjoys focusing more on sound design. It's a shame what's happened to MK's music, it's so ambient and boring now. It's just background noise instead of being the rhythm of the fight. At least put in custom tracks so we can jam WDYLMA while playing.

I really hope they take a risk with the story and do something set before the 1st tournament and include The Great Kung Lao. The end of Aftermath hinted at this and it'd be rad to see how it'd all play out it in this new timeline that Liu Kang is in charge of.

The lore of Mortal Kombat has always had this untapped potential and to see The Great Kung Lao, Shang Tsung before he was cursed, Goro as Mortal Kombat Champion, Sub-Zero's Edenian ancestors, Shao Kahn rising to power, etc.