What's new

MK1 Invasions Mode: (It Sucks)

Art Lean

Noob
Yup. For example, one klue is gibberish anagrams. You make out the sentence 'Destroy the World', which implies you need to end the match with a Cyrax Fatality.
Ah I see, many thanks. I thought the clue was actually something to do with the map itself, I was thinking more literal and MK11-krypt like with "use the element which brings life" and been looking for areas of water around the mesa.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I also want to add, I've defeated Scorpion and got my first Nether Stone. I went back to a early area, unlocked a gate with the Nether stone and it was very disapppointing.

It's just 4 boss fights and that's it.

Many fights I have are now AI with constantly super armor and +4000 health. Same with end-game towers. Many fight I can't even complete, since the AI and I are so tanky. I win the rounds by doing the most damage by the end of the timer. And all that drops are even more talismans.

These are my stats right now. End game is just fighting eachother until the timer runs out. AI is so tanky, but i'm tanky aswell.
View attachment 21020
Yeah, I’ve had about a hundred “Hidden Fights”, but they only give a shitty Talisman, if anything at all. Ridiculous, since often the Hidden Fighter is wearing a cool skin/color. Be nice if THAT was the reward…

Yeah, I’ve had about a hundred “Hidden Fights”, but they only give a shitty Talisman, if anything at all. Ridiculous, since often the Hidden Fighter is wearing a cool skin/color. Be nice if THAT was the reward…
Secret fights kinda feel useless, they are more annoying than anything else. I hope they will balance out the drops more in the future.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
For those of you who have trouble farming season coins:

Once you level up your fighter to a good level (20-30), go back to the first map (Raiden's/Kung Lao's village) and find a lvl 1 opponent. You can probably kill them with a solid uppercut. Make it count as a Brutality and you have a good chance you'll end with a Flawless Victory as well.

This will ensure you'll get about 250-500 season coins with just 2-3 seconds of gameplay.

Note that by level 20 to 30 I am talking about RPG / XP attributes level, not the 'mastery level' which is unique for each character and gives you brutalities and gear as you level up.

kevkopdx

Noob
Agree with everything… my biggest annoyance is that secret fights are no different than ambushes… secret fights should be difficult with a cool reward… I mean are these even triggered for doing something “secret”? Or is it just like bullshit random ambushes? Cuz I’ve had at least 10 secret fights over 3 maps.

As a funny update: I just played through shang tsungs laboratory and had a total of 17 secret fights. I can safely say that the excitement of finding a secret fight has come and gone and I never want to see one again

Last edited:

kantboy2

Pale Rider
People will start to complain about the grindfest this tuesday.

They'll have to raise all the koins/XP/dragon krystal rewards because not everybody will have 10 hours a day to get their 'complete' character ready for online/offline.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
so I think I can totally relate to whatever has been already said.
It's supposed to be an RPG but the RPG elements are forced and minor. Talismans are useless, this 2nd thing that I got - I'm using the xp boost and I don't care about other choices. Stats? Whatever, who cares. You will win all fights anyway.

It's definitely not the mode that will help you learn how to play MK. But Towers of Time were neither, so I don't blame NRS for that.

The navigation and lack of "free roaming" is something that bothers me the most. It's only walking from point A to point C through point B. Even if there is a illusion of choice, you still need to follow exact same routes. Without the map and without the possibility for any panoramic view (or am I missing something?). There are no easter eggs (yet, maybe I will find something shortly), no lore expansion, no cutscenes, nothing. Seems like they indeed released half baked product.

The rewards are a bit underwhelming, the challenges are repetitive and the fights are - let's be honest - boring. There is no "wow" factor and if the secret fights were supposed to be like that - I'm tired after 5th or 6th sEcReT fight (which is no different from any regular fight).

It's a shame that this is the only thing I can really play to "relax" after online matches, which I'm honestly very bad atm and I'd really love a good single player mode where I could just chill, explore, fight and test new characters. In terms of online I have like 22 wins and 20 loses and I already saw people abusing projectiles with Reiko, Kitana and Li Mei - so it's same old, same old.

I just wanna echo the point— who tf at NRS thinks putting superarmor on everything is a good idea?? So annoying.
I think they did this to compensate for the lack of challenge because the "RPG" mechanics are poorly implemented.

Without it, we would be very OP and end all fights in just 4 hits.

When you get in end-game, level 30 and higher, it drastically changes.

Now they focus so much on health and super armor to compensate the lack of challenge in end game. It turns basically in tanks shooting 9mm bullets at eachother.

I have sometimes fights (+ level 30 fights) that turns in to endless fight. The AI and I have so much health, that we need more then 500 seconds before one of us wins. On top of that super armor. I never had the timer running out in any game, except end-game in Invasion.

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
so I think I can totally relate to whatever has been already said.
It's supposed to be an RPG but the RPG elements are forced and minor. Talismans are useless, this 2nd thing that I got - I'm using the xp boost and I don't care about other choices. Stats? Whatever, who cares. You will win all fights anyway.

It's definitely not the mode that will help you learn how to play MK. But Towers of Time were neither, so I don't blame NRS for that.

The navigation and lack of "free roaming" is something that bothers me the most. It's only walking from point A to point C through point B. Even if there is a illusion of choice, you still need to follow exact same routes. Without the map and without the possibility for any panoramic view (or am I missing something?). There are no easter eggs (yet, maybe I will find something shortly), no lore expansion, no cutscenes, nothing. Seems like they indeed released half baked product.

The rewards are a bit underwhelming, the challenges are repetitive and the fights are - let's be honest - boring. There is no "wow" factor and if the secret fights were supposed to be like that - I'm tired after 5th or 6th sEcReT fight (which is no different from any regular fight).

It's a shame that this is the only thing I can really play to "relax" after online matches, which I'm honestly very bad atm and I'd really love a good single player mode where I could just chill, explore, fight and test new characters. In terms of online I have like 22 wins and 20 loses and I already saw people abusing projectiles with Reiko, Kitana and Li Mei - so it's same old, same old.
yep

pretty frustrated with the Invasion mode as well ...... instead of being a free roaming adventure game, with real time dialogue, and more interactive and with more entertainment value ..... we got this linear node to node boring mode, with annoying ambush mechanics, useless gadgets and fake rpg gameplay , amont others annoying stuff .... shit got boring and repetitive very fast, lol !

I had criticize the SF6 world tour, believing that this Invasion mode could be something better, but I was deadly wrong, lol ! World Tour looks way better than this, despite being a limited experience on its own as well, so .....

Better luck next time, in the next game, NRS ...... the game , MK1, gameplay wise as fighting game , itself, is amazing, the best MK ever, but, both Invasion and Story Mode were fucking frustrating ..... I was expecting more , and much better from both, so ..... pretty disappointed as fan

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
can't even use the stupid talismans on arcade sticks (no "right stick" analog). Johnny's star power doesn't even show up on PC for invasions but it does on PS5...
I mentioned this in a status of mine recently. It fucking sucks that NRS doesn't give a shit about stick players. I can't even progress beyond certain parts of Invasions mode because I can't use a Talisman and it's mandatory. For a game that I grew up playing in arcades ONLY on stick, I will never get used to playing on pad.

It wouldn't be hard to program in an alternate method to perform "right analog" inputs.

I'd trade this mode for an expanded Krypt every single day of the week. The Krypt in MK11 was the best part of that game :laughing:

I had criticize the SF6 world tour, believing that this Invasion mode could be something better, but I was deadly wrong, lol ! World Tour looks way better than this, despite being a limited experience on its own as well, so .....
SF6 World Tour is so much fun. It's perfect to unwind with after some online matches. It's a way to learn the overall basics of the game for beginners, it has heart, doesn't take itself too seriously and it does good a job of incorporating SF lore during your adventure. The personalization and open world feel is a joy. I couldn't really ask for more as a compliment to a fighting game. It's a shame what happened with Invasions mode.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I mentioned this in a status of mine recently. It fucking sucks that NRS doesn't give a shit about stick players. I can't even progress beyond certain parts of Invasions mode because I can't use a Talisman and it's mandatory. For a game that I grew up playing in arcades ONLY on stick, I will never get used to playing on pad.

It wouldn't be hard to program in an alternate method to perform "right analog" inputs.

I'd trade this mode for an expanded Krypt every single day of the week. The Krypt in MK11 was the best part of that game :laughing:
If you have an RS button on your stick, usually by the pause button area, you can use talismans. Most sticks have it

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Once you get the legendary high-level talismans you become a God. I saw a video where someone has some kind of Bo Rai Cho fart Talisman (legendary). He farts and the opponent literally exploded.
oh my ..... this was fucking funny; god, I spit my water reading this ..... :laughing:

anyway, in a MK lore wise perspective, this make sense and is justified, lol ! :p

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Played it for a bit, hate it. But I already knew I was going to hate it when it was announced. I can’t stand having to fight the AI in fighting games, especially if the AI is horrible. At least in SF6, the hardest mode against the AI will do good optimal combos that humans actually do and somewhat mimics human behavior. I know that’d be really difficult to do in MK1, but still. It’s 100% pointless fighting against the AI. Then in invasion mode, they add even more bullshit that doesn’t happen in real matches. So it’s an unfun grind that has zero benefit as far as getting better is concerned. And I obviously realize that the SP modes are for casuals, but if you’re not going to make it fun, at least make it to where I’m not just wasting my time.

Also, what genius at NRS thought it was a good idea to lock Kameos behind you leveling up every 5 lvls in Invasions mode? That, along with Havik being locked behind completing the ENTIRE story mode is going to be an absolute nightmare for offline tournaments.

I was hoping that this mode would at least be enjoyable, but it’s garbage. I’d much rather would have had Chess Kombat or Motor Kombat or something like that. Also how cool would it have been if there was an arcade cab like in Cage’s mansion or something, and you could play the classic MK’s? At least have UMK3 and/or MK2 AND give them an online mode. Like, they’ve had all of this in MK games decades ago. Give us stuff like that, not Towers in MK11 or Invasion mode in MK1. Seriously, with all the capabilities and possibilities they have with this being on new gen consoles and PC, why is the SP content than it was over a decade ago? Ah well ¯\(ツ)

it's probably because of what they were going through with WB and that they wasted all the budget on big hollywood and invasions but we'll never go back to the days of good single player modes of mk9, mkx, and previously; just some fluff to inflate some kind of currency economy. I hope it got the job done and it's brainless enough for casuals for them to just mash on and enjoy.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I think they wanted to do Konquest, they made the stages, didn't have the time to do anything else so they made this board bullshit.

This is PS2's DBZ Budokai 2 story mode all over again.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Played it for a bit, hate it. But I already knew I was going to hate it when it was announced. I can’t stand having to fight the AI in fighting games, especially if the AI is horrible. At least in SF6, the hardest mode against the AI will do good optimal combos that humans actually do and somewhat mimics human behavior. I know that’d be really difficult to do in MK1, but still. It’s 100% pointless fighting against the AI. Then in invasion mode, they add even more bullshit that doesn’t happen in real matches. So it’s an unfun grind that has zero benefit as far as getting better is concerned. And I obviously realize that the SP modes are for casuals, but if you’re not going to make it fun, at least make it to where I’m not just wasting my time.

Also, what genius at NRS thought it was a good idea to lock Kameos behind you leveling up every 5 lvls in Invasions mode? That, along with Havik being locked behind completing the ENTIRE story mode is going to be an absolute nightmare for offline tournaments.

I was hoping that this mode would at least be enjoyable, but it’s garbage. I’d much rather would have had Chess Kombat or Motor Kombat or something like that. Also how cool would it have been if there was an arcade cab like in Cage’s mansion or something, and you could play the classic MK’s? At least have UMK3 and/or MK2 AND give them an online mode. Like, they’ve had all of this in MK games decades ago. Give us stuff like that, not Towers in MK11 or Invasion mode in MK1. Seriously, with all the capabilities and possibilities they have with this being on new gen consoles and PC, why is the SP content than it was over a decade ago? Ah well ¯\(ツ)
Honestly, why lock characters that were announced in trailers at all? It's one thing to have surprise hidden characters, but we all already know who they are from the trailers, so locking them is extra pointless. Pretty baffling.

I think they did this to compensate for the lack of challenge because the "RPG" mechanics are poorly implemented.

Without it, we would be very OP and end all fights in just 4 hits.
Sure but they have to know this isn’t fun, right? I call the modifier-hell thing TYP: Test Your Patience. It was utterly obnoxious in MK11 also. So I’m just surprised they brought that back largely unchanged.

After playing Invasions a while, I think my big annoyance is just the same annoyance I share with other single player modes in NRS games. They want to make players need a reason to use stuff like talismans and konsumables and stuff, but they try to solve that by introducing elements that aren't realistic of an actual match and then encouraging players to use those items to remove what they've added. Nobody likes rockets coming through portals everywhere or dark screens, so the items remove those things. But isn't the right move to just remove those things that aren't fun in the first place?

I actually just wish they would remove all the cheap stuff (rockets, super armor, darkness, backward controls), make the fights harder, and give me a reason to actually mess with my character stats and equipped items. If you want to add some crazy attribute, let me still use my normal MK1 strategies to beat the enemy. There's no point in training people to be good at playing with their eyes closed, or their controls all fucked up, or against an opponent that has permanent armor.

I do wonder if a lot of this though is due to relatively little content in the game. If the game was bursting at the seams with skins, gear, palettes, etc., they might not need to pad the rewards so much with talismans and other items and add stuff into the game that makes those items attractive.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?

on PC, you can literally map a button for the talisman when using a keyboard... why this isn't there for controllers is beyond me.

I played a bit more yesterday, and I'm still early in the Mode, just in Funjein (SP?) Village, but I'm having fun with it so far. Not using Talismans or Konsumables at all, mind you, as they haven't been needed.

I'm mostly trying to look at it with really casual eyes. Is it fun to just screw around in and is it something my fiance would enjoy. So far, I think she will. I'll find out when she gets through Story Mode, as her Switch version arrived yesterday.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
So Moral of the story: Play it until you get all the Kameos unlocked at level 25 and bounce lol