What's new

MK1 Gameplay World Premier - June 8TH [Summer Game Fest]

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
This is often overlooked by a lot of people deep into these games... in that a HUGE portion of players never play online vs at all. They play arcade, and maybe some vs locally with family.

This is a screen shot from a thread on the SF6 steam fourm called "First ever fighting game, likely to be my last"... and the truth is THIS is the most common user case for the average fighting game player. They get it, they screw about in the minimal SP stuff, usually only arcade and traing mode, go online and get roflstomped, loosing 100% of their games and never play online again.

This is why MK is so popular. As people on this site can complain about the towers and the grind and all that all day, but it is the exact single player content that makes MK so popular. It is the SP that drives sales. Those towers in MK11 was WHY the game was popular.
Not looking to knock these sorts of players or single player content in fighters, and I don't think Juggs is either. A key thing here is the difference between being able to unlock content in single player modes and being forced to unlock content in single player modes. Having stuff available through only one avenue is frustrating and alienating to a portion of the playerbase. Kombat League was likely a slap in the face for MK11 players who couldn't play PvP to save their lives; and the other 90-95%+ customization content being locked behind Towers of Time, the story, the krypt, head collecting in the krypt, and AI battles was absolutely a slap in the face to players like me who were in the lab or in online 99.99% of the time.

In short, don't gatekeep unlockables by pigeonholing their requirements to singular modes. Shit sucks.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
In short, don't gatekeep unlockables by pigeonholing their requirements to singular modes. Shit sucks.
yeah ... I don't agree with that at all....

while locking some things like Fatalities and Brutalities in the Krypt was stupid as fuck... I actually like the idea of reward based on content. There should be rewards that online people get, that ranked players get, that single players get that others who do not play those modes as much don't.

Modern games are all a bunch of entitled prigs in many cases. Oh I want this skin and I can't get it without doing X... well that is the ENTIRE POINT... to rewards players who are playing the content. If you do not do it.. your not supposed to have that skin. It is a mark for the people that did do it.

All that "grind" shit people complained about in MK11 was such BS. I mean look at your game now.. how many resources have you got... 100 of thousands?, millions of coins? If these arseholes just played the game as it was designed to be played.. no grinding needed, they would have unlocked it all ages ago anyway... instead they do boring grinds for 3 weeks strait then complain that the grind is boring.. when you are not even supposed to grind.. just play normally. Most of the people who play MK11 have nothing to unlock as they spent all this time grinding instead of just playing.

Just as a skin exists doesn't mean some player is "owed" it. The entire point of it is that you get something others don't.

I'll just never understand some of the younger gamers. Nothing means anything anymore. Everyone wants to be just given everything and expects to have everything everyone else gets. All this complaining about skins in MK11 felt like participation trophies for kids in school.

Last edited:

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Jarek is Kano
lol Jarek was like the worst clone ever. At least when they decided to replace Noob Saibot and Kitana they made interesting characters that clearly differentiate themselves from the ones they're replacing.

Jarek is just "Kano's lieutenant, he does everything Kano does, he even shoots lasers from his eyes without having a fucking cyber implant"

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Im not familiar with this person. Why does that tweet mean that we get a 3d char? I would love that but I'm just confused lol
He's a senior designer at NRS. This tweet, combined with Boon tweeting the mk4 screen makes me think we're getting an older era character in the gameplay, who hasn't been seen since mk4/armageddon.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm all in favor of having tutorials, trials, and even having exlcusive content to be unlocked only through online playing is a great way to incentivise people to play online PvP and get better. I also think having a good lobby system and online ranking can help with that. And that's great.

I also think it's ok though for people to enjoy a game how they want to enjoy it. Some people just want to mess around in a story mode, and then maybe play some trials or practice mode to see if they can learn some cool combos, and have fun unlocking stuff against an ai, with no need to compete against a human.

To be honest, sometimes I'm that person. My favorite part of fighting games is learning how the game works, learning a character, theorizing about their moveset and possible strategies, going into practice mode and seeing if I can learn or get better at their combos. One of my least favorite things to do is actually play other people.
Of course, I’ve never suggested that you shouldn’t be able to enjoy/play the game however you want. Unlockable content is a very powerful incentive, which is why you had people who absolutely hated SP content and the Towers grinding them out just for said unlockable content. Why not have something similar for the online content? Why is it no problem forcing players to grind SP content who don’t want to, but it for some reason IS a problem to force players to grind MP content who may not want to?

Also to put it another way and to reiterate, a lot of players who don’t care about the SP stuff will grind it out to just unlock stuff even if they’re bored to tears. But when there’s all these SP incentives and little to no MP incentives, you’re not going to incentivize SP players to ever really try out MP content let alone grind it. All I want to see is heavy incentives for the MP content just like there is for the SP content. I don’t see that as at all unreasonable.

This is often overlooked by a lot of people deep into these games... in that a HUGE portion of players never play online vs at all. They play arcade, and maybe some vs locally with family.
Which is my point exactly. There’s very very little, if any, incentives to consume MP content. Maybe if there were really good and exclusive MP rewards that incentivized you to play them, you’d see these SP only players actually giving MP a shot.

This is a screen shot from a thread on the SF6 steam fourm called "First ever fighting game, likely to be my last"... and the truth is THIS is the most common user case for the average fighting game player. They get it, they screw about in the minimal SP stuff, usually only arcade and traing mode, go online and get roflstomped, loosing 100% of their games and never play online again.
Which is why I’d love to see in depth tutorial modes for the gameplay overall, and character tutorials. As well as the combo trials. And all of these things having exclusive rewards attached to them. And then of course as I’ve said, having a ton of MP exclusive rewards. This will help incentivize these players to stick with the MP stuff and not just immediately give up because they can’t automatically beat everyone without actually putting in effort to become better at the game. Want this super sick exclusive gear or alt costume for your character? Then practice the game via all the different training modes available, and then grind matches. Practice is how you get better at anything, fighting games are no different. And offering all the tools you need to accomplish that makes it that much easier. And then on top of all that, you have an additional incentive to want to get better at the game.

This is why MK is so popular. As people on this site can complain about the towers and the grind and all that all day, but it is the exact single player content that makes MK so popular. It is the SP that drives sales. Those towers in MK11 was WHY the game was popular.
I didn’t care that they had the towers, I didn’t like the fact that you not only had to grind them for weeks to months in order to get exclusive character content, but that also, there wasn’t anything anywhere close to a comparable amount of exclusive stuff to unlock via the online modes.

TLDR: I know I keep repeating myself, but I feel it’s an important point. As I’ve said, the majority of players would not have grinded the towers if there weren’t incentives to do so, which is my point. Moving the majority of those exclusive unlockable stuff to the tutorials, combo trials, character tutorials, story mode and online modes would not only be an incentive to do them, you’d actually be leveling up your game in the process of trying to unlock these things. Seems like a no brainer win win to me ¯\(ツ)

I woulda been fine with KL having exclusive skins if they weren't timed. Were you busy for that first month and missed out on Blood Red Kitana? Lol eat shit, see you next year loser
Actually, no. You can get a random skin every two hours via code in the towers menu when you see a meteor. I did that for a couple of days until I got bored

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?

We get a 3d era rep in the gameplay.

Most probably Reiko.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he's referencing Johnny Cage since that's his boy. I bet they brought his fucking knee string back from mk9 :DOGE
Actually, no. You can get a random skin every two hours via code in the towers menu when you see a meteor. I did that for a couple of days until I got bored
If I recall correctly this was patched in way later though. KL was the only way to get them and even with this tower trick you still had to get lucky and get the ones you want. Oh and that's provided you aren't busy at the times the meteor rolls by. Lol

Just about 9 and a half hours left.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he's referencing Johnny Cage since that's his boy. I bet they brought his fucking knee string back from mk9 :DOGE

If I recall correctly this was patched in way later though. KL was the only way to get them and even with this tower trick you still had to get lucky and get the ones you want. Oh and that's provided you aren't busy at the times the meteor rolls by. Lol

Just about 9 and a half hours left.
It's going to be the last thing they'll show, I think. Better add 2 hours to that.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Kombat league already had exclusive skins and some exclusive brutals I think and I’m pretty sure the tutorial did unlock a skin
Yeah, I never said MP didn’t have any exclusive unlocks. They were just extremely minimal compared to SP content. And yes, you unlocked stuff for the tutorials, which is why I want that be a thing again except make the rewards more and better. ;)

yeah ... I don't agree with that at all....
Great post, and pretty much agree with everything you said.

Only thing regarding:
Just as a skin exists doesn't mean some player is "owed" it. The entire point of it is that you get something others don't.
I agree with this, but i have no issue with allowing people to "buy" such items using in-game currency earned from playing other modes.

I didn't mind the rolling store in MK11, i get coins from playing online, but I can use them to buy things that would otherwise be locked behind stupid game modes like AI fighters. Sure you can't pick and choose exactly what you want, but like you said, i'm not owed it... if i wanted it that bad i'd play the AI mode.

I didn’t like the fact that you not only had to grind them for weeks to months in order to get exclusive character content,
The problem is that people are seeing it as a "grind" because they want to have everything NOW, as opposed to just playing the game and getting them organically over time.

If that's the case they may as well have a everything edition where there's no unlocks... then everyone will complain that there's nothing to do in the game because everything is unlocked. IF they charge extra they'll complain that they're getting robbed for stuff that's already in the game. If there are no unlocks casuals won't play because that's part of the charm.

I get that people want to use characters/costumes that they like or prefer, but as much as it's a fighting game, it's also about the little rewards you get during your time with the game. Not everyone wants to spend hours in practice mode training stage perfecting that almost impossible to hit 50% 21 hit combo, or only playing ranked online. It's all about the entire package, not just the bits that each person cares about.