What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

Agilaz

It has begun

evil drops his vid
A small detail I noticed is that in the SGF build, the supers would end in this huge colourful explosion, it seems to be toned down in the playable build. Which is good, the huge colour boom was too Injustice-y

Skybox

Noob
So- we know That Ed Boon said there will be 15-20 Kameos at launch, which is more than the select screen showed

Could that mean more in the base roser, as well?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I've been hearing conflicted things about the fatals... some people say they have armour... some say it hasn't.. so I do not know what to think. I know that they all say they can be poked out if you react to the flash though.

I did see a sort of "red glow" on people now and then.... anyone know what that is? I think it is punish or something?
In one of the videos someone did mention it, one of the Devs said Fatals have armor at around frame 8 (give or take), so you can stuff it before then.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I cannot be certain, but I feel like people were saying MK11 felt like MK9 to when they first played it too, so that doesn't mean much to me. I hope it does, but I feel like I've heard that before, so we'll see.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
New information from K&M video:
  • Dash can't be canceled with block, but can be cancelled with a movement option or an attack
  • Upward Block works on jump ins and overheads.. That's interesting
  • Fatal Blow won't come out if your Kameo is onscreen already, and is breakable, so no-longer fully guaranteed damage
  • There are two types of Kameo attacks — a "summon", where your main character is frozen during the attack, and an "ambush" where your character can continue to move and attack while the Kameo comes out. Ambushes can allow non-comboable strings to lead into combo (or as Rooflemonger also mentioned in their video, possibly make something unsafe safe)
  • Wakeups: Armored wakeups exist, can be armor-broken — Summon Kameos can be used as a wakeup, may have some invincibility frames. There's only one delay timing.
  • Sub's clone disappears too quickly for the clone > throw freeze shenanigans corner from MKX to work
  • Sub's b2 launcher (the double hammer string) is an overhead, but unsafe on block
  • Sub was the only character in the build that had an Aerial Attack string with a ground bounce
  • They confirm that most characters have launching strings (as opposed to relying strictly on special/EX special launchers)
They did not disappoint.. Best breakdowns so far by a mile. Apparently they're working on additional vids.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
  • There are two types of Kameo attacks — a "summon", where your main character is frozen during the attack, and an "ambush" where your character can continue to move and attack while the Kameo comes out. Ambushes can allow non-comboable strings to lead into combo (or as Rooflemonger also mentioned in their video, possibly make something unsafe safe).
If you watch Mileena summon Goro, it seems to be a mix of summon and ambush. She is locked down during the first few hits, but then you see she regains control before Goro's attack has finished.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
If you watch Mileena summon Goro, it seems to be a mix of summon and ambush. She is locked down during the first few hits, but then you see she regains control before Goro's attack has finished.
I think this is still technically a summon, because the main selling point of an ambush is that you can use it mid-string and your character won't go into the resting animation at all. But it's a great observation that summons might have variable delay that doesn't always cover the entire Kameo animation.

You know, I've said it before, but I am ecstatic that we have launching strings and EX moves again. I cannot emphasize enough how much I've hated everything about meter burning specials. My hype for this game is through the roof.
This is the big thing making me excited for the game.

There's this "balance by spreadsheet" mentality that i've seen devs go for in plenty of genres (hell its my main complain with blizzard games post SC), and it "works" in that the game isn't an unplayable mess, but it's also boring as hell.

Injustice felt like the start of them going down that road, where almost everyone does similar damage, and everyone has the same rules (X damage for a hit, Y damage for a hit with meter, etc). It's probably easier on their side because you don't launch the game and have someone break it in half the first week (i mean..in theory...if you don't let superman f2 go out like that), but it's something that players and observers become very aware of, even if they can't put their finger on it. Everything starts to feel the same, just with different skins on. This is a big reason 11 bugs me so much, especially when they nailed the fuck out of it with 9, and only needed to buff a few more things to really make it shine.

Seeing them finally chuck this out the window again really gets my hopes up that we're going to get something great.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
According to Max and Justin Sub can re-freeze people up to 3 times in a combo after the initial freeze. So I guess that'll allow some swaggier Sub combos than could be done in previous games.

Zviko

Noob
So Fatals come back on whiff/block. K&M mentioned you can use breakers on Fatals. So if you do, do they still get it back? Most likely not right..

From what i gathered from a brasilian stream
  • You can Hit Kameos
  • Kameos are cancelled if you get hit
  • Jump arcs feels mostly the same across the current cast shown
  • Attack ranges are restricted just like MK9, no string was shown to travel across the screen in 3 hits like MKX/MK11 kotal
  • No variations/ Neither equip moves
  • Kameos have their own move list and fatalities
  • Kenshi has 2 stances, one with his sword used as handle stick, and other where he draws the sword and increase his range, while sento's spirit manifest and attacks in parallel with his commands, if Kenshi gets hit, sento's spirit loses strength and rests on place.
  • you can be on front of the opponent while sento is in the back, both jamming attacks, and still add a kameo in the mix.
  • The Move list for each character feels MKX huge
  • Damage added to the command list as well
  • Meter doesn't fills on its own, back to traditional build up
I'm really just concerned about the movement