What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
By "kameo has to be ready" I think he is referring that it should be animation locked doing another move, it's not about the meter.
Same this happens for forward throws, if you kameo is on screen doing another animation, your throw will fail (you will just push your opponent).
I think it's about the meter, sometimes it's dark, sometimes it's gold. But maybe the meter is just tied to their animation recovery idk.

Love everything I've seen about the game.

My ONE problem is forward throw is a Kameo throw which is lame. The back throw animations are so cinematic and I wish we got the same for the opposite. Even tho I despise MK11 it did that one thing amazingly

By "kameo has to be ready" I think he is referring that it should be animation locked doing another move, it's not about the meter.
Same this happens for forward throws, if you kameo is on screen doing another animation, your throw will fail (you will just push your opponent).

I think you're right.
But it made me realize there is no way to differenciate an on cooldown kameo

to a temporarily unuseable kameo

(obviously the former still increases while the latter is stuck at 0%/50%)
The only visual indicator comes from your character slightly flashing red when that happens

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
View attachment 19230

I think you just need 3 meter bars.
As seen above, the kameo meter was neither ready (50%) nor full during the breaker (unless I misunderstood).
Also, the breaker animation doesn't freeze the kameo's meter cooldown.
I dunno man.. I'm just quoting a person called Sonic Fox that actually played it... So I just assume he knows what he is talking about.

He said that you need 3 bars and a ready kameo to break, and also that the kameo can be hit as they have their own hurt box and this increases readying time.

Also I'm not sure that the trailer is any good for working out resource mechanisms, as they are on infinite meter.. So might be zero kameo wait time as well.

Last edited:

Jynks

All the people that played it says it feels faster than mk11 but slowing than mkx.. All I've been reading in tweets from people that played it that it feels very much like MK 9

Pizza

Thrill Kill
We're going to need a Kenshi thread soon, I'm very interested in the first MK's Puppet character :D

Very happy about most of this, but I have 2 concerns

heres your exklusive

clone is back

but only cause its super nerfed

it lasts like maybe 3 seconds tops
I find ice clone/trap like moves a good litmus test for what's actually going to be allowed. Worried by this.

2. God do I hate fatal blows. Yes they're not armored, but they're still free and still recharge on whiff and might still be safe. Worse, they're even fucking longer because you have to watch your kameo do theirs first (hopefully only when you have the bar for it). I just hate how much these cinematic moves break the pacing of games, and it's not as big of a deal in others because you might spend the resources some other way. As it is, we likely have 15-30 seconds every fucking match that's going to be watching movies. It's neat when it's rare, it's annoying when it's every single round because "fuck it why not?"

Every body is talking about how Mk9 Mk11 dash block is gone. Do they mean if you dash, then press block in the middle of animation, that the block button won't register?

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I'm skeptical of the people saying it feels like 9, especially what we've already heard about dash blocking. I think some people are just desperately hoping for a fun MK game after how much of a snoozefest 11 was. I'll withhold final judgement but the more I see of the gameplay the more it just looks like 11 again.

Jynks

I'm skeptical of the people saying it feels like 9, especially what we've already heard about dash blocking. I think some people are just desperately hoping for a fun MK game after how much of a snoozefest 11 was. I'll withhold final judgement but the more I see of the gameplay the more it just looks like 11 again.
The only people who are saying that is EVERYBODY that has actually played it. Everyone said mk11 after seeing the trailer. The MK9 thing comes from all the tweets as people literally played the game.

I guess we will all find out soon enough when the beta starts... but until I play it... I'm going to take the word of high level community leaders, who have played the actual game, over randoms looking at a trailer frame for frame, not matter how big their youtube chan is.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think you're right, but so are they. Because everyone is talking about different things.
  • Game speed/style and movement: seems mostly like MK11, but a bit faster (which MK9 was). The movement style seems closest to MK11, but not exactly like it, and is nothing like MK9. The normals and strings also resemble the style of MK11
  • Armor, Breakers, and EX moves: All of this stuff is closest to MK9
  • Combo expression: Seems closest to MK9. Kameos are their own thing, but there's no run button or 75%-screen strings, so we don't get a lot of the MKX-style stuff. Some of the Kameo combos resemble things you could do in tag mode in MK9
  • Characters not having variations, and moves (so far) mostly being based off the "greatest hits" of characters classic movesets is closer to MK9
  • Stages not having interactibles rolls us back to MK9
So yeah, I think it depends on what you're talking about. The game doesn't seem like it'll feel like MK9, but there are lots of elements of MK9 that are reappearing, and I think that's what most people mean.

Jynks

So yeah, I think it depends on what you're talking about. The game doesn't seem like it'll feel like MK9, but there are lots of elements of MK9 that are reappearing, and I think that's what most people mean.
again... all the people that played it so far said it is a "Mk9 extension" over MKx or 11, specifically citing mk9 movement and "insane walk speed" according to sonic fox...... so who are we supposed to believe?.... the answer is them.. until we get to play it.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
The only people who are saying that is EVERYBODY that has actually played it. Everyone said mk11 after seeing the trailer. The MK9 thing comes from all the tweets as people literally played the game.

I guess we will all find out soon enough when the beta starts... but until I play it... I'm going to take the word of high level community leaders, who have played the actual game, over randoms looking at a trailer frame for frame, not matter how big their youtube chan is.
People will overlook a game's glaring flaws in early impressions due to hype clouding their judgment, and high level players are no different.

Jynks

People will overlook a game's glaring flaws in early impressions due to hype clouding their judgment, and high level players are no different.
Opposed to doom sayers that see the worst in everything and haven't a positive bone in their entire body?

If you think Sonic is lying or The Condiment Brothers are lying, or under some delusion... then I don't even know what to say to that...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
again... all the people that played it so far said it is a "Mk9 extension" over MKx or 11, specifically citing mk9 movement and "insane walk speed" according to sonic fox...... so who are we supposed to believe?.... the answer is them.. until we get to play it.
The movement is nothing like MK9. Neither are the myriad of advancing strings and the style of animation, etc. You have to put it into context, know how Sonic talks, and that he's talking about specific features like EX moves, armored specials, meter, juggle options, etc.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
  • Game speed/style and movement: seems mostly like MK11, but a bit faster (which MK9 was). The movement style seems closest to MK11, but not exactly like it, and is nothing like MK9. The normals and strings also resemble the style of MK11
This is what worries me. It's great we're getting SOME aspects of MK9 back but if the game doesn't feel good to play in my hands (which 11 did not for me for these exact reasons) then I have cause for concern. Like I said, I'm withholding judgment until I know more but this is a big red flag for me that I hope more players elaborate on as more people play it.

Jynks

The movement is nothing like MK9. Neither are the myriad of advancing strings and the style of animation, etc. You have to put it into context, know how Sonic talks, and that he's talking about specific features like EX moves, armored specials, meter, juggle options, etc.
Again.. I'm not saying shit.. I'm just saying that EVERYONE that has actually played it has said that.. I've got no dog in this I loved mk9 X and 12... I'm not a gueser.. I'm happy to wait for beta.. I'm just saying what THEY said after playing... So. imo.. They fact not only that they played but they all said the same thing means your opinion on this is just that.. And I personally don't believe you over them.. You know the ones that have played it.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
The problem with the comparison is that 11's movement feels bad, but not simply because of one reason that is easily fixed.
It had a bunch of issues that came together to make it feel sluggish.
MK1 seems to have fixed aspects of it, walk speed is faster, the initial acceleration is faster apparently, these two things go a long way to help.
The stages seem a bit smaller, and fireballs do seem to have a lot more recovery, which also helps.
Dash's could definitely be sped up though, remove the weird dash cancel thing, and just make them faster by default.

When people are talking about MK9 movement, a lot of them seem to want dash blocking back, which lets be real is never going to happen, it is forbidden, it is the forbidden dash.

It already looks much less mush then 11, but, I don't want less bad then 11, I want it to feel good.
But hey, it sounds like the devs at the even were very eager to hear peoples opinions on the game, so and to rectify what people disliked about 11, so if it isn't up to snuff, lets hope it can change.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Opposed to doom sayers that see the worst in everything and haven't a positive bone in their entire body?

If you think Sonic is lying or The Condiment Brothers are lying, or under some delusion... then I don't even know what to say to that...
Just because I choose not to defer my judgment to high level players doesn't mean I think they're lying or delusional. So far I've seen some things I like and don't like about this game; I already said I'm withholding judgment until I know more but I'm still concerned despite what anyone else says, high level player or not. If you have an issue with that than that sounds like a personal problem.