What's new

MK up for 2011 Writing Award

http://kotaku.com/5875294/which-of-these-five-games-had-the-best-writing-of-2012

didn't know if anyone had seen this or not (apologies if this is a repost). being in the video game industry myself, i always follow this kind of stuff.

the article makes light of the fact that someone from the game team must be a member of a specific guild for a game to be nominated for specific awards. don't be fooled by that though, i'm a member of several industry guilds myself... and most people on game dev teams are, so believe me... MK was stacked up against dozens if not hundreds of other games. it was notable in itself just for the fact that MK was even nominated.

i'll stop boring you guys now =P

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
A game with a phenomenally well written story - Planescape Torment
A game with a tongue in cheek, many facepalm inducing moments story - MK9

Sorry, but I truly felt the writing for MK9 was awful.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
A game with a phenomenally well written story - Planescape Torment
A game with a tongue in cheek, many facepalm inducing moments story - MK9

Sorry, but I truly felt the writing for MK9 was awful.
At least they saved it from the mindfuck story that was MK Armageddon.

Real Life Goal #1: Become professional writer.
Real Life Goal #2: Establish what hoops one would need to jump through to help write for MK.

Ive been analyzing this fucking game and its absurd storylines and plots for years.

NO ONE EVER EXPLAINED TO ME HOW EDENIA BECAME ITS OWN REALM AGAIN IN DECEPTION

OR THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE CHAOSREALM AGING GOO

One day, I hope I get a crack at it.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
At least they saved it from the mindfuck story that was MK Armageddon.

Real Life Goal #1: Become professional writer.
Real Life Goal #2: Establish what hoops one would need to jump through to help write for MK.

Ive been analyzing this fucking game and its absurd storylines and plots for years.

NO ONE EVER EXPLAINED TO ME HOW EDENIA BECAME ITS OWN REALM AGAIN IN DECEPTION

OR THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE CHAOSREALM AGING GOO

One day, I hope I get a crack at it.
See, I don't think I would've minded the story so much if they didn't try to incorporate Armageddon into it and made Raiden look like a bumbling buffoon. I mean, I have no problem with MK's non-explanatory cheesy largely non-canonical stuff but when they try to write an actual story about it...eh. I guess it's to introduce the characters to everyone who isn't already familiar with MK, but you'd have to be a troglodyte or like 5 years old - in which case you probably shouldn't be playing a game with much more graphic fatalities than what we saw as kids.

Don't get me wrong, I vividly remember the fatalities as a kid and sure Kung Lao's was somewhat graphic back then but compared to Kung Lao's and Noob's now? Nowhere NEAR as detailed.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
See, I don't think I would've minded the story so much if they didn't try to incorporate Armageddon into it and made Raiden look like a bumbling buffoon. I mean, I have no problem with MK's non-explanatory cheesy largely non-canonical stuff but when they try to write an actual story about it...eh. I guess it's to introduce the characters to everyone who isn't already familiar with MK, but you'd have to be a troglodyte or like 5 years old - in which case you probably shouldn't be playing a game with much more graphic fatalities than what we saw as kids.

Don't get me wrong, I vividly remember the fatalities as a kid and sure Kung Lao's was somewhat graphic back then but compared to Kung Lao's and Noob's now? Nowhere NEAR as detailed.
See, I know what you mean...and it kinda sucks, because its not like you couldnt write a really passable story for it.
You have more than enough people, plots, and possible fights that everyone can get in without anyone seeming overpresent or anything getting too much attention for its own good.
And I kind of liked the "Raiden Just Destroyed Mankind To Save It" angle...granted, they could've made him seem a little less helpless (when you're coming off as Liu Kang's bitch, and he doesn't even wear a HAT, you have a problem), but ultimately, he was kinda right.
And factoring in Quan Chi/Shinnok & the Netherrealm to the original story was awesome. That's most of the reason I want UMK9 so bad, just to see where the story goes. I have my own theories, but it seems like too few people play MK for the storyline :(.
I love hypothesizing.